Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• No probs mate, just regurgitating stuff i've picked up over the last year really.

I have to say, the HRM has been invaluable to me, it lets me know exactly what i'm capable of at different levels of effort.    The only thing it doesn't tell me is whether or not I have the endurance capability to keep those paces up for 26.2 miles so that where I have to take a leap of faith with the training.

• Hello everyone!  I've finally made it back after a really freezing Wilmslow HM and some frantic days at work (which are still frantic but I'm having a late lunch!).  The HM went OK despite the weather.  I knocked five minutes off last year's time, and although this was still two minutes off my PB I felt OK about it.  Actually I feel quite smug about it as I stopped half way round to rescue a fallen runner (no heroics, I had to either stop or fall over her myself...) so together with that, the wind (weather wind, not gel-induced!) and slowing down to say hello to some friends I reckoned I wouldn't have been so far off a PB after all. 

I'm quite looking forward to getting back to LSRs after all these weekends racing....

• Cybarev - if it makes you feel any better, I waddle rather than run! As you say, if it was easy peasy then everyone would do a marathon. I tell you what...you'll miss the training afterwards and having an aim to focus on. During the last half hour of your marathon you'll be thinking "why on earth am I doing this, never again" then the day after you'll be back on here asking "what do you suggest for an autumn mara"

• has anyone used the "isoconiq" sports drink that will be available at the manc marathon?

since it doesn't look like i can get hold of it anywhere before the race to train with, i don't plan on using this on race day.

The water pouches do look pretty handy though.

• Well done Aunty Ninja...that is brilliant!  I don't know how you and RR got such good times with that awful weather.  Like you say, on a better day and if you hadn't stopped you would have got a PB...the trouble is when you stop, not only do you lose that time, but I also find I lose quite  bit of momentum and get out of my stride, it takes ages to get back into it.  Infact, sometimes I have stopped and never properly got back into it...Annoying...but very nice of youimage

Molly, you are so right.  I actually find it harder to run sooooo slow, and my hips and feet start feeling it more...and your gait changes to a very ugle waddle/shuffle!  I prefer to pick it up a bit really, and I am normally ok going a little faster than the recommended LSR pace.  I think "go with what is comfortable" is key really.  If you feel comfortable and with no ill effects, going a bit faster than your guide LSR pace, I don't see the issue.  If you can not walk the next day, you have over done it!

Agent G...nope, never used it...I am normally ok with whatever is given  out at events, but now I am panicking!  I might start off with  my own bottle of sports drink, then, when I hopefully see my partner and kids on the course I might get him to pass me another, and after that I might just use water.  Like you say, a bit of a risk, I bet everyone is thinking the same!

Panda

• Agent G - never tried it so I'll stick to water

RP - definitely agree with your "go with what is comfy" theory. Have you worked out at what stage you can see family etc? can they move around the course easily? I've got my dad and daughter  watching me - you'll recognise her - she's a sulking teenager as I embarrass her. She wants a "normal" mum not one that does marathons.

• Molly - you may be surprised on the day that she'll suddenly realise how proud she is because it's her mum out there!  I know my two daughters could do the sulky teeneger bit to perfection but they were transformed when they came to watch my first marathon, and have even volunteered to come again to this one.  I probably still do embarrass them when I'm clad in lycra and running around the village where all their friends can see me, but when it comes to a big event it's amazing how perceptions change.  They both now tell all their clients about my running (one's a hairdresser and the other's a beautician so can chat for England) and one has even dared to come for a run or two with me....she can't keep up though!

AG - no, sorry, never tried it either so I'll stick to the High 5 Iso-gels I've been training with and just stock up on water at every opportunity. 

RP - we had to finish as quickly as possible just to get out of the horrible weather and into some warm clothes!  It's amazing what incentive (and speed) that gives you!

• marathon molly wrote (see)

Agent G - never tried it so I'll stick to water

RP - definitely agree with your "go with what is comfy" theory. Have you worked out at what stage you can see family etc? can they move around the course easily? I've got my dad and daughter  watching me - you'll recognise her - she's a sulking teenager as I embarrass her. She wants a "normal" mum not one that does marathons.

The bulk of the course is accessible by tram, I guess the only part you'd struggle to get to would be the far side of Sale heading toward Carrington and then Urmston

I'm not sure whether you'd be able to follow the entire progress of the race but you could probably get to Sale while the race moves through Salford Quays and then you could walk between Sale and Brooklands stations while the runners are looping around Sale Moor and up Marsland Road

You might be pushing it to get to Altrincham and back to see the runners in between the 2 trips up and down Brooklands Road but I guess it would be do-able

I guess alot depends on how much of the race they want to see, what the weather is like and what else they want to get up to on the day

• Hi AN....that is a good point...I often find I run that bit quicker in bad weather as I am not enjoying it!  Would still rather run in lovely sun though!

LOL  Molly...I shall watch out for her....!  I bet she is proud underneath it all.

Nope, not thought much about where to see family...I was going to ask my oracle...RockingRocky_Robin!  He seems to know lots about the course and lives really local so I am sure he will have a plan!  Hope so anyway!

Right...off for a freezing cold dog/baby walk now..

Panda

• Ha...You must have been writing that as I was typing!!!

Told you so!

Cheers

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hey all, sounds like stellar progress is being made so keep at it.

Someone mentioned HR training - I am a massive convert to this over the past few months since my IM plan is heavily HR guided and has worked really well for me. Here's a good article on running specific HR training:

http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

On gels and recovery products, don't believe all the hype. Multi million pound turnover companies are aiming a marketing machine at you. You just need good food after a LSR and taking as little as possible before and during the LSR is applying training stress which is what it's all about. Personally, I don't take anything on an LSR anymore unless it's a harder session with say 10 miles at MP at the end in which case I'll have one. I'll also use them on one LSR towards the end of a campaign to get the guts ready (2) and then save them for race day. That's when you need them when you are laying it on the line, at other times you are denying your body a training adaptation of getting used to metabolising fat and getting the absolute most out of your glycogen reserves and subsequent super compensation. Plus it's cheaper....
  • I agree there...I try and limit myself now so the body adjusts.  However, lots of us are not that fast, so are on their feet longer than you probably, so I think in that case it is needed more.

I had a friend come and stay before the Chester marathon and he had half a bottle of red wine the night before (he had a cold so was undecided whether to do it, even the night before), no breakfast, then decided to run it....had no gels or sweets, only a bit of water on the course and still got under 3 hours! (he is a good runner)....So, it goes to show, it can be done.  I think half of it is in the head, but then again, so is a lot of things, so I don't mind taking a few if it helps psychologically.

if you think about it though....a 5 hour marathoner will probably require more than a 3 hour marathoner, as they will be on their feet for a lot longer (if not using the same physical excertion)...at least that's how I see it, but I could be wrong?  All good this!

Panda

• Got to agree with Slokey Joe about taking no or very little energy gels or energy drinks during LSR training runs - just get by on water if possible. Also read a few posts about resting before the LSR and really carbing up etc. The plan I following recommends a half the distance the day before e.g. 10 miles on Saturday followed by 20 on Sunday - to tire you to stop you running too fast and to help the body get by on lower glycogen. I think it really works because by marathon day peak performance can be achieved by being tapered, rested and fully fueled compared to the training runs.

• That's all well and good PureManic (and does indeed make a great deal of sense) but it's clearly not a plan designed for the British.  We want at least one day a weekend where we can suffer a hangover without having to run as wellimage

• Bloody Hell PM, what plan are you following?!  No way could I run 10 miles the day before....well, I probably could, but it would be hell, and I would be in agony!  You are obviously a really good runner and that must surely be a super advanced plan.  This will be my 8th mara and I have never seen a plan like that.  Most beginners would probably not even do a 10 mile run in the same week as a 20 let alone the day before!  I can see the sense behind it, but it would just be asking too much of a lot of usimage

big snowflakes outside now....argh...when will it end?!

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Bloody Hell PM, what plan are you following?!  No way could I run 10 miles the day before....well, I probably could, but it would be hell, and I would be in agony!  You are obviously a really good runner and that must surely be a super advanced plan.  This will be my 8th mara and I have never seen a plan like that.  Most beginners would probably not even do a 10 mile run in the same week as a 20 let alone the day before!  I can see the sense behind it, but it would just be asking too much of a lot of usimage

big snowflakes outside now....argh...when will it end?!

Probably April 29th!

• Have seen some plans where you run a marathon over the 2 days of the weekend, say a 16 miler on the Saturday followed by a 10 miler on the Sunday

I'm on the same side of the fence as SB in that I still like to have a few beers at the weekend so my LSR are done during the week and I go out and run a gentle 7 or 8 miles on a Saturday morning more as an end to the week's running plus it's normally my fastest and most enjoyable run (perhaps because I know I've got the rest of the day to myself and can do what I want knowing Sunday is a rest day)

At least the snow has stopped for this afternoon's 18.5 mile run, am tweaking the 2nd half so rather than heading back through Ashton on Mersey, Sale and Broadheath, I'm going to head up to Stretford and then head back along the canal towpath from there to Timperley. Just figured a bit of variety might make the run more enjoyable

Not going mad with the gels but will take a couple out with me as much for psychological purposes if anything plus I'm still getting used to using them

• Ha ....True, Victorian...am already thinking I will be running in long things and gloves!

Good luck with your run RR...It's brightened up nicely now, so hopefully you will enjoy your run.

6 miles for me later, then nothing till my 20 miler on Saturday.

Local weather has been on just now for weekend....dry, bright but cold...that'll do!

panda

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. I havent been running for a week now as I've been having knee issues. I had a sports massage yesterday and was told my ITB and Piriformus were both tight and I also had some work done on my sciatic and adductors. The stretches I were given to do at home are rather painful but will obviously help. I've got another massage booked in for next Thursday but will have to try and get out for a short easy run tomorrow to test the knee. And it's been snowing here all week on and off !

Hope everyone else is bearing up and getting excited

• It's so cold at the moment, I am enjoying the benefits of an ice bath whilst running which could be argued is much better time management!

Hard to run fluidly when dressed like Nanook the North though!

• Ha...Good point Victorian...it doesn't feel quite as cold today here, not compared to past days, and the horrid wind has died down.

Keep going with your stretches Carterusm, they will hurt, like you say, but no doubt will benefit you.

• Bloody Hell PM, what plan are you following?!

I'm following the Hal Higdon Intermediate Plan - or certainly the principles of it. I often do a double day on Friday - say two 7 milers - one am and one pm, followed by the LSR on Saturday morning. That way, the Sunday morning hangover can be still be enjoyed  - so no worries there Stangely Brown ! - and in fact the beer count on Saturday is curtailed simply by pure fatigue ! pure manic ! 

• Victorian - Is the idea of the ice bath to warm up after running in this cold weather image

The weather is predicted to stay cold until late April and then warm up slightly - so could be ideal for us by the 28th! Probably be pouring down by then though........

• Redpanda: back-to-back long runs are a staple of ultramarathon training. So far, in training for 50-mile races, I've done as much as e.g. 30 followed by 10 the next day. I started with 10/6.

As you say, they're not for beginners, but they're great for learning to run on tired legs.

• I like your style PM!

At the moment, i'm mixing it up between sessions on the Friday and LSRs on the Saturday and rest days on the Saturday and LSRs on the Sunday.  I guess i'm getting a bit of both approaches but can't ever say that fatigue from the Friday run has ever been too noticeable on the Saturday LSRs.  I just make sure I don't do any speedwork on theat friday.

For a change, this weekend coming, I have a 10k race on the Friday so will do my LSR on the Monday - 2 days to recover from the race (inc a small recovery run).

• Caterusm - please please go easy if it's your IT band causing a problem.  Mine went during my first marathon training and again at 5 miles during the race itself and it's agony.  Stretch, stretch and stretch again, and use a foam roller if possible - it hurts but it's worth it.

I thought I'd thawed out from Wilmslow until I went for a gentle run last night to try and stretch out my aching calf muscle, and froze all over again!  Just hoping it's a bit better tonight - another 6 miles but it won't be as gentle, although I suppose that means I'll feel warmer anyway.  Our LSR is at 6am on Sunday - guaranteed to be cold but on the up-side at least I won't feel too guilty partaking of an Easter egg afterwards....

• I know the route has changed slightly this year, does anyone have a feel for how congested the first 3-4 miles will be? it looks like there are a couple of "out and backs". from the start you head NE for about a mile, then back past the start, then you head NW for about a mile, then back past the start. So you end up passing nearby the start around mile 4, before the long run south towards Altrincham.

I'm guessing a bunch of people will be trying to run 4hour pace, or keeping up with the sub4hour pacers, so this could probably be quite congested at the start, until the field thins out.

Anyone got plans to deal with this?

• Pure Manic..you are a machine!  I couldn't contemplate that, but that's probably why you are probably sub 3 hours and I am sub 5!

Still really cold here, though the snow never settled.  I heard that too about the end of April...how depressing, though I don't mind it cold on marathon day...just not windy and wet!

Panda

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

I'm with you RP on the weather. As long as its dry with no wind. Just aboutto  nip out for 7miler.  This is one of the things I love about marthon training, when you can 'pop out for a 7 miler' and you know its going to be a fun and enjoyable run because of all the training thats gone on months beofre.

• Woooh, Go easy on the praise Redpanda. I'm no machine and I'm certainly not sub 3 hours either. Just over 3.15 was my PB last October. I guess evreyone has their limits and I think I'm nearing mine because the training is tiring. But you could try the principle of it - a medium run say the day before the LSR - and don't carb up for it or rest specially for it - just take it in your stride.