Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Hello Mel

Just catching up with your thread - how's the toe, foot and knee? Hopefully at least one is better and one is gone completely! Did you manage to get out for a jog today?

As Oscarr says, you won't lose a discernible amount of fitness even if you don't run again before Paris while these niggles resolve so don't worry too much.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi image ,

How are you ? I think you and Steve should do a three legged marathon, between you both, you should have 2 decent legs !  I think a forced rest is a good thing physically although it's tough mentally.  I find it too easy to get carried away on the shorter runs during taper, I push myself harder than I should. image

Ruth has suggested we can carb load with Jaffa cakes, that's 96 for me ! And after the race, 500ml of fluids, that's about 6 glasses of champagne !  I don't drink champagne so you can have my quota image, I'll swap them for your jaffa cakes.

Take care

• How is everything Mel, we are all routing for you xxx

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hey Mel - how are you doing? We're all routing for you!image

• Hello......I thought with less running I would have more time!!!!!......yes all is better!!!!!! Hip hip hoorahhh!!!!

No problems with the foot arch....the knee has sorted itself out....and my purple toe is slowly coming back to a healthy pink......not sure I'll keep the toe nail, but thats the sign of a real runner isnt it?

I think I only missed 2 runs last week (7 miles) with a bit of jiggling around, and I'm back on track this week......just in time to taper properly!!!

Made the most of my non running and did lots of bike riding and swimming and had the magic massage lady come and fix me!!!!......so feeling good and ready to get on with it now!!!!.......

THankyou for all your lovely words of support......!!!

My daughter said to me tonight ( who is 17 and very independent!!!) as I was going out to do my speed session......I'll be really pleased when this marathon is over so you stop running...!!! Oh dear.....I don't think she really understands!!!.....image
  • Hi Oscar.....I like that a lot....'don't be sad I have gone....be glad I was here.....!!!' It really touched me!!! Thank you x

Hi sarah 6...... Yes I hope our paths will cross......what time are you aiming for again.....?.....I think with 26 miles...that's a great deal of pondering time....!!! Can't even chat to the person next to you as we wont understand them!

Hi ds2..... Oh sorry you had a similar problem.....it's soooooo painful!!!! .....i dont know how you could have run.....i must have been a right sissy!!!....I was very aware of the gait issues it could have caused which was one of the reasons why I nipped it in the bud quickly with antibiotics and hobbled bare foot!!!!....hopefully it won't return.....my brother in law keeps telling me to have my toe nail removed!!!!! I don't think so!!!!!......
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    That's great news Mel. Hopefully one day she will.

So glad you are back on track. Good luck over the next 12 days. You can't do much to make you perform better now but you can do lots to mess it up. Take it easy and respect the taper.

Go Mel
  • Hi ruth......wow that's a lot of information.......good job you mentioned it though......I'm not sure I would have thought of taking snacks with me!!!!.....sure you can't come with us!!!!!

Hi SAm.....sorry I have been pretty pants!!! ....... Yes I managed the 9 miles on Sunday.....after a massage.....a bit stiff....but all good!!! No problems at all......

So in total......I did the 5 miles on Thursday......4 miles on Friday.....9 miles on Sunday.....so I missed a 4 mile jog and a 3 mile steady.......

Then this week i am back on track and following your plan to the letter......!!! That's it now......all my niggles gone in a week please!!!! Not to return if you don't mind!!!!.....
  • Hi sarah physio......all seems to be going well.......the magic massage lady has worked her magic and sorted me out......given me more stretches to do......!!! But all is good......my faithful brooks are well and truly my best friend again !!!!......I even bought another pair just to keep them company.....

I have to say you physio's are amazing!!!!!!!!......
  • Mel - good to see you doing so well

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    image,

Great news, really pleased that everything is all right.  Did get slightly worried image .

melaniejayne wrote (see)
    ......my faithful ASICS are well and truly my best friend again.
    There are 5000 Brits running in Paris so you have a 1/10 chance that the person next to you will understand if you talk to them.  You have a 1/50000 that person will be me ! Although I will not understand a word of English, French or Swahili after 20miles.
    Enjoy your last week of tapering and...  à bientôt !
  • Mel,

I am getting excited for you.

You are definitely a fully fledged runner if you have no toenail or black toenails!

Enjoy your taper week!

• Mel

Try and get organised & food brought that you are going to travel with a couple of days before you leave. This takes last minute stress of packing away and should make it all more relaxing. Lots of good sleep too. Perhaps easier said than done!!
  • Yeah great news all back on track, enjoy an easy week this week then here goes!!!

• Hooray, Mel's back in the game! Great stuff... looks like it was just last-minute niggles - these often seem to appear out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly. So pleased.

Had the Sussex Road Relays on Saturday - it was snowing on the way there - when will this ever stop?image We think our team - lady vets - got bronze but there was some issue with the timing so it still hasn't been finalised. 

Mel, it might be a bit too far to complicate (it's about 2 hours!) but we're having a pre-Paris, pre-London drink and chat on Wednesday evening after our final running session (this is our Rye Runners, not Ady and Steve etc) in Rye. The idea is to asnwer the 'what if?' questions. Of course I'm here for you and the other forumites to answer those qs anyway but if you fancied coming out to share stories/swap nerves, you'd be very welcomeimage

See you in LESS THAN A WEEK!!

• Hi Sam

Definitely too far for me to come for a chat, but could you (or Sarah) help with a pre London 'what if' question please?

I did my last long run on Saturday (3 weeks out, rather than 4 as planned due to the snow.) I was very tired, having done a half marathon the previous Sunday quicker than marathon pace and had a busy old week. Anyway, what I'm getting round to saying is that I woke up the morning after my long run with two sore Achilles which were giving me trouble going up and down stairs. Today, thankfully, all that has gone and they feel fine image

So what I'm wondering is what best to do now. I got to the point on Saturday that I didn't care if I never ran again, so I'm happy to take a day or two off (please?!) I know that won't last however, so I'd appreciate some advice on whether to cross train, when to attempt to run and generally how to approach the next two to three weeks. Like the lovely Mel, I'm a first time marathoner hoping to come in about 4:30 ish.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread Mel and hope we'll hear more from you soon. Are your girls coming to Paris to support you? My teenage daughter is excited for me, but my 12 year old son is basically outraged that I expect him to hang around for so long whilst I go for a run!!
  • Oh dear ..... Struck down by a dreaded tummy bug!!!!!.....that certainly wasn't the plan, but does explain why my run on Sunday was so tough......and all I could think of ( whilst i didnt want to be thinking of food) was how was I going to carb load...!!!! ........just feeling very weak and wobbly today.....but hopefully I will manage to eat something......any advice greatly received......I have to admit yesterday not even able to lift my head from the pillow......I was seriously questioning my ability for Sunday!!!!!!

So lovely sam......thank you for the offer of Wednesday evening pre race drink and chat ...... But I think I'll stay close to home and not push it.....guess I should mention that I didn't run yesterday as according to my plan......only to the bathroom......

Well done for Saturday!!!! What a fantastic achievement!!!!!!!......and in the snow????

His sarah......I'm feeling like my body is on high alert and when I have been running I am noticing every ach, pain, niggle, twinge......but I am guessing that I am just being hyper sensitive and almost thinking up problems now......!!!!!...... I'm also feeling super unfit and feel like a hippo when I run......but I am also suspecting that it is all in the mind and come sunday I will be raring to go!!!!!.....

Hey ruth......yep I really feel like shopping for food at the moment!!!!!......but yes that is the plan for tomorrow......plan for today is just to take it easy and try to tolerate food......fluids aren't a problem.....but please don't tell me to take dioralyte!!!.....

Hi wiggly worm.....no way...hiijack away!!!!! .......just hope sam/ sarah can give you some advice!!!!......I can appreciate your 12 year old sons outrage.....my girls would be exactly the same......!! So no......I'm not dragging them along to watch.....I think they would rather cut their arms off with a blunt spoon...however it is costing me a week away in Marrakech after Paris as a consolation prize!!!....... Good luck with your pain......and don't stop running now.....it will be worth it when you have crossed that finishing line !!!!!!!!
  • Poor you Mel image Hope you start to feel better today. What is it with this marathon thing, we all seem to get struck down in the last few weeks and days!!

If you can't face dioralyte (and let's face it who can?!) I seem to recall someone telling me that orange juice has a good combination of salts, vitamins etc. Maybe Ruth can help on that one...

Rest up today, stay in bed if you can. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you image
  • Thankyou wiggly.....I think there is a marathon gremlin out there at the moment!!!!.....image

• Hi Mel,

So sorry to hear you have come down with stomach bug. I hope after resting today you start to feel more like yourself tomorrow.  I think all the nerves are starting for me this week. I woke with a sore throat yesterday but forced myself out for 3.5 mile run. I felt slow and unfit (like you mentioned in your thread). Is this a normal response after all our weeks of heavy training?

For Sunday, I would love to think I will come in around 4.30ish but who knows...if the sun comes out I could be closer to 6 hours....

• Hi Sarah.....I wonder if its just a normal response.....imageI went out on Saturday for 3 miles as well as Sunday and was like a truck!!....However.... I felt like this last time before my 20 miler, and come the race day I was bouncing and full of energy.....so here's hoping!!!.....

When are  you leaving for Paris..???..... and who is going with you...??.....its going to be strange running in warmer conditions.....not sure we will see it as too much of a positive as we are all used to the chilly winds and rain at the moment!!!....could be a bit of a shock!!!.....

Im up and about tentivivly and have managed some toast!!....image

• Mel - okay won' t mention food. Just sending you lots of luck for a super quick recovery.
  • wiggly worm wrote (see)
    Hi Sam

Definitely too far for me to come for a chat, but could you (or Sarah) help with a pre London 'what if' question please?

I did my last long run on Saturday (3 weeks out, rather than 4 as planned due to the snow.) I was very tired, having done a half marathon the previous Sunday quicker than marathon pace and had a busy old week. Anyway, what I'm getting round to saying is that I woke up the morning after my long run with two sore Achilles which were giving me trouble going up and down stairs. Today, thankfully, all that has gone and they feel fine image

So what I'm wondering is what best to do now. I got to the point on Saturday that I didn't care if I never ran again, so I'm happy to take a day or two off (please?!) I know that won't last however, so I'd appreciate some advice on whether to cross train, when to attempt to run and generally how to approach the next two to three weeks. Like the lovely Mel, I'm a first time marathoner hoping to come in about 4:30 ish.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread Mel and hope we'll hear more from you soon. Are your girls coming to Paris to support you? My teenage daughter is excited for me, but my 12 year old son is basically outraged that I expect him to hang around for so long whilst I go for a run!!

Hi Wiggly - try not to panic... you've got all your training in the bag now. The taper is just about maintaining your fitness and facilitating recovery - so be dictated by your body. If still sore Achilles, then cross-train (assuming your mode of cross training is pain free). If you have 'sessions' to do (eg. tempo efforts or speed work) then you can still do these, using your bike/swim/row machine of whatever mode you are using. It's good to keep a bit of high intensity in there, regardless of whehter it's runing or XT. 

There really is no need to do another long run with 2.5 weeks to go if your Achilles aren't 100% comfortable. If they have eased off, then you can do your 'mid long run' this weekend - not sure what you had planned but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 hours, and even if you do 60-90 you'll be fine.

And then no long run needed one week out. Just a steady run, practising MP for no more than an hour.

I'd also try to either see a physio or sports massage therapist to ease off any tight structures around the Achilles/calves if the pain is lingering.

Good luck!

• Hey Mel,

Glad you are tentatively feeling a bit better. It does always seem as if these niggles/illnesses etc come out of nowhere in the final stages! 

I think it is partly because you are fatigued following the peak training weeks and immunity a bit low (that's why healthy eating/plenty of rest is good) but I also think some of the heaviness and feeling as if you could barely run a 5km is in the mindimage One theory is that your body is sort of 'shutting down' to conserve energy, in the knowledge taht youve got a marathon to run. So see it as a positive thing!

If you use orange juice to rehydrate, perhaps add a pinch of salt to it (it doesn't contain sodium, or not enough to replace what you lose from tummy upset). Or you could use something like an electrolyte tablet dissolved in water. Nuun or suchlike?

Wish you a speedy recovery Mel. Try to focus on the carbs when you can get back to normal eating. ANd don' worry about missing the run. It won't matter at all. See you Friday, hopefully in 100% healthimage

• Hi Mel - just texted yooouuuuu to see how you are. I have had tummy bug, feeling faint, woozy head thing in the morning for past 3 days and my long suffering man has TOLD ME in no uncertain terms to get some Boots Hydration Salts....he thinks it is all the Comrades training and not really eating very well but I think I have a bug, like you!!

Anyway - am sure you won't be at club tonight but I am going to give you a shout out to let everyone know your big day is almost upon you. Good luck matey - hope you get your bug booted into touch. xxxxx image

• Hi Mel,

Have just texted you to see how you are and to wish you GOOOOOOD LUCK !!

I too have a tummy bug thing and for the past 3 days have been feeling faint, dizzy and just sick and my long suffering man has TOLD ME in no uncertain terms that I need to get myself some Boots Hydration Salts. Just an idea. He thinks it is too much Comrades training and not eating enough protein but I think I have a bug - like you. image

I'm guessing you won't be at club later but I am going to give you a shout out just so everyone can send out good luck / happy vibes to you. image

xxxxx

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi image.  Hopefully our paths will cross but if not, "Good Luck".

• Hi Mel,

Not long to go! Have you packed yet??

It's going to be great all meeting up on Friday and it has been a genuine pleasure meeting you and sharing this experience with you image

You are so deserving of it and your smile and positivity has been a huge help through the tougher parts.

Can't wait to see you all lined up at the start... and looking forward even more to seeing you cross that line in a fantastic time!

See you Friday...

• Hi Mel, it's the dreaded taper playing mind games with you!! I'm in the process of keeping my friend going who is doing Brighton and just started hers, she says she can't run at all!! She has done all the training and more. It's good to read up on the taper as it gives you all the physiological reasons why you feel bad after decreasing your running, I'm Sam can go into more detail.

You wil be fine and have a great time, the work is done the body is ready enjoy!!

Hey Wiggly worm, Sam beat me to it and said most of what I would say. Normally if both achilles sore then you are generally stiff and tight get a massage to release the calfs etc, strech and rest a bit more till your body feels less physically tired. good news is they have settled.

• Hi Sam and Sarah

Thanks so much for your replies about my achilles issues. I've been for a massage on my extensor chain. I didn't know I had one of those, but it seems to be everything from lower back down through hamstrings and calves. The pain when she tackled my hamstrings was excruciating image

I also think I had run my body into the ground somewhat and I feel a lot better for a few days off and some early nights. Hopefully good to go again tomorrow for the rest of the taper.

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed following the forum and being able to tap into so much expertise and advice. I can't wait to see how it all turns out in Paris. I'm sure it will be an amazing event, even for Steve whose posts over the last few days have choked me up image

Hopefully, your tummy bug has receded and you're feeling better Mel. Just suffering from taper madness now, for which the only known cure is to run a marathon!! I wish you all the luck and hope that, whatever time you cross the line in, you have a fantastic race and feel truly proud of all you have achieved!