North Korea

Is nobody else slightly worried that North Korea are about to obliterate the world!

It has not really even made the main news, are we to believe all the little side stories like N Korea are targetting Hawaii. Also that they have cut any link with South Korea?

Problem is the North Korean forces are huge and I think they are very capable especially if China were to back them up, it could all go wrong rather quickly.

The Yanks have huge amount of assets but I am not sure the government nowadays would be willing to sacrifice huge numbers of service personnel like in Vietnam.

The British armed forces are now laughable - I do not mean the quality of the girls and guys doing a great job, I just mean the size and what we would be capable of. IE we do not even have an aircraft carrier, we have to borrow one off the French!

It might just be me but something is bubbling away - We should nuke them first image

Comments

• I think it's  North Korea doing a bit of "brinkmanship" as they are pissed off about UN sanctions imposed on them as a result of some recent nuclear testing.

they may have a big army, but their weaponry is minimal compared to the big 5 world powers (US, Russia, China, UK, France) and I would very much doubt that China would back them up if they went on the offensive - China wiould more than likely tell them to shut the fuck up.

they've done it before, they'll do it again 

• I don't think anyone takes them seriously Vicar. The question is whether they do themselves. You imagine they must know that if a single missile hits a foreign shore they will be wiped out but it's not entirely inconceivable that they've been brainwashed into thinking they can actually win a war with the US.

The US will be be happy enough sending troops into what they assume will be a one-sided battle, it's what they did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Having said that, apparantly some US baseball star visited recently and Kim Jong Un told him he wanted Barack Obama to contact him - it is thought to have been a veiled request for help. His country is in crisis and his people are starving.

I must admit I have this vision of a place where the medals table showed they won every event at the Olympics and that there are photo-shopped pictures with Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah wearing Kim Jong-Un's head image

• Have you seen his brother by the way?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jgesU-F6xus/Tu7NydNQ_XI/AAAAAAAAC8A/2PRb4OnofPU/s1600/KimJongNam.jpg

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I must admit I have this vision of a place where the medals table showed they won every event at the Olympics and that there are photo-shopped pictures with Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah wearing Kim Jong-Un's head image

That's only marginally less disturbing than the prospect of a nuclear war.

I wonder if anyone in North Korea has watched Team America?  Quality film!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2009/4/9/1239280471109/Kim-Jong-Il-in-Team-Ameri-001.jpg

• Few interesting thoughts. It could all well be posturing and we are only fed what they want to feed us! I don't think we really know what goes on in North Korea to be fair. Good point about Russia they are pretty hardcore. I would hope it would turn into the world against North Korea as I am not sure who their allies are at this moment. Their was talks that the Chinese possibly would back them but it really does depend how it kicks off! Plus the South Koreans wouldn't mess about either. Having given it some thought 'Yeah lets kick their ass'! lol they havent a hope!

• "........and that was our Diplomatic Correspondant reporting in from Seoul" 

• Is North Korea the ultimate troll? Discuss....

• "Having said that, apparantly some US baseball star visited recently and Kim Jong Un told him he wanted Barack Obama to contact him"

basketball not baseball - Dennis Rodman, retired Chicago Bulls player - who is a bit of a nutter anyway so I wouldn't read anyything into it.  

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

The next action to start a world war will not come from this obvious source, it will happen small scale and will escalate. ...............

China will in the end rule the world we (western world).................

Thank you Nostradamus.

• One thing's for sure..... Old Eric Blair had a time machine tucked away somewhere when he wrote 1984.......image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

"Having said that, apparantly some US baseball star visited recently and Kim Jong Un told him he wanted Barack Obama to contact him"

basketball not baseball - Dennis Rodman, retired Chicago Bulls player - who is a bit of a nutter anyway so I wouldn't read anyything into it.  

Meh - basketball/baseball... American games don't really count.

I wonder what the national sport of North Korea is? Pie eating by the look of it image 

• North Korea simply doesn't have the capability, the wealth or the resources required to launch an all out war.

If they even dare attempt a long range missile attempt against the U.S. the attack would be detected right away and the missiles shot down. The repercussions against NK would be huge. The U.S. would retaliate with air strikes and bomb them back to the stoneage.

• Perhaps they already are in the stoneage?

• North Korea couldn't fight its way out of a soggy paper bag, its dad smells of wee and its mum is crap in bed. image

• At least when the old man was in charge North Korea was just an annoying distraction now and again, they would bang the drum about the West and sanctions and blah blah.

If they ever did try anything I think it's much more likely to come from old Chubby Chops. He seems totally deranged.

• According to Wiki, there's a rumour he's had plastic surgery on his face - I can't believe he used to look worse than he does now!

Apparently the reason the cheeky chappie in the pic above wasn't named as Kim Jong Il's successor was that he was caught attempting to enter Japan on a false passport on his way to Disneyland Tokyo imageimage

• I doubt that North Korea will try anything. They're surrounded by countries that would blow the sh*t out of them.

• Pudge wrote (see)
    So were Germany.

really?? Italy had Mussolini backing Hitler; the French were fighting themselves; other European countries were impotent, and the Russians and Yanks couldn't give a flying fuck until they both got dragged into the war.  Only the UK and it's commonwealth partners and resistance movements were prepared to stand up to the Germans even though we were outgunned at the time, and we would have been bolloxed without the US coming in to help and the Russians upping the ante.  

• So the only 'backer' of Germany was Italy then.

North Korea has a dictator in charge with warped ideals, a propaganda machine working overtime and a population prepared to take up arms, willing or otherwise.

Its also surrounded by nations who, I imagine, don't want to side with north Korea, but at the same time don't particularly want to piss them off.

I don't see it as being that different. Only my opinion.
  • War was a different prospect when Hitler was about being a bad lad.

Nuclear threat was only imposed at the end of WWII and that was by the Americans rather than the Nazis, bombs were generally dropped out of planes not launched from miles and miles away on another continent. My point is that to wage war in modern times a nation would need to technology and the means. NK don't really have those things. Their weapons are fairly primative, some of their clobber dates back to the Cold War.

• I agree that if North Korea kick off, which I doubt they will, then the rest of the world should bomb the living daylights out of the blighters, but it's seems quite hypocritical of the Americans to threaten to attack any country that has nuclear weapons, when they're the only country to have used them in a wartime situation.

• the threat of a nuclear war has been hanging around like a bad smell since Hiroshima and Nagasaki and none of the main powers will do first launch as they know the consequences would be huge - the threat will always come from a rogue state or someone trying to punch above their weight like NK or Iran and if that happens than it will become a stand off between US, Russia and China as to what happens next and frankly I'm not sure what would happen.   whatever, it would not be nice for the rest of us so perhaps we'd all be best donning the colanders!

• In the words of Randy Newman:

''Let's drop the big one

Pulverise 'em''

....and he didn't really mean it either..did he?

Great albums by the way if you're not familiar with them.

• The people of North Korea can't even manage to do a half decent haircut on their leader, so how would they ever manage to build a nuclear weapon?

It's just empty talk from Kim Dong Ting Tong. image

• I think we should bomb Fat Larry and his band 

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

"Having said that, apparantly some US baseball star visited recently and Kim Jong Un told him he wanted Barack Obama to contact him"

Meh - basketball/baseball... American games don't really count.

I wonder what the national sport of North Korea is? Pie eating by the look of it image 

"North Korean parents 'eating their own children' after being driven mad by hunger in famine-hit pariah state "

says the online dailymail. 

• North Korea will just continue low level harrasement of South Korea until it gets slapped down.  It hasn't been slapped down since the Korean War so expect the occassional sheeling of the South, sinking of southern patrol ships etc to continue indefinitely.

The risk is that one day the north will cross the line and do something that does lead to a response from the South or US.  However I suspect that should that ever happen the North would just go into a sulk rather doing anything so stupied as launching a nuke.