Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Ay yes Orbutt, the petitions scam.  I fell for that last year on the footbridge across from Museé d'Orsay.  The petition itself was an incredibly poor quality photocopy but (thinking that signing would make her go away) I signed and then she started gesturing for the 'donation'.  Nothing intimidating just irritating.  I gave her €2 coin just to get rid.

For the pick pockets a common scam seems to be to ask for directions while an accomplice nabs the brass.

• Finishing sorting things now, and I figure that, as I usually do, and it's pretty cheap, I'd sort out travel insurance (I've ordered a new european healthcard, but given that my last journey was to bosnia and insurance still only cost me £4.50, I might as well) - anyone know if there's a particular type needed if you're going to be running as long a distance?

Other than that I started my film downloading session for the trains last night (I own them, but putting blu-ray on a portable takes more effort than downloading them...), putting together a final motivational playlist for the run and then no worries until next Thursday evening. image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Good point Orbutt.  There are many young Romanian pick pockets.  They'll present you with a map or newspaper which hides their hands as they rummage in your bag.  Also be careful at cash points if kids are hanging around, one will tap you on the shoulder and as you turn in one direction another kid darts in and takes your money.

I think Orbutt has a very good point as we're all going to be thinking about race day and pay less attention what is happening around us.

Although Mr T pities no fool, I think he should leave his jewelry at home.

Another subject is 'Papy Frotteurs' (old men rubber).  Sometimes in crowds, blokes rub themselves up against young ladies.  I doubt that this is going to be a problem at the marathon as crowds wont be that deep and it's not very common but it happens.  Could be a problem at the pasta party ! 

• Ironing done, Rocky IV tempting - Drago....mmmm

On the news last night there was an item about he "dropped gold ring" scam. Be careful out there.

• PC91 wrote (see)

Another subject is 'Papy Frotteurs' (old men rubber).  Sometimes in crowds, blokes rub themselves up against young ladies.  I doubt that this is going to be a problem at the marathon as crowds wont be that deep and it's not very common but it happens.  Could be a problem at the pasta party ! 

No, the ladies are safe.  I'm not going.

• Hi all, Ive been bit thick and couldnt find this thread until i found someone else looking for it and saw the link, I have been suffering in the last ten days and am starting to stress about April 7.

I did an 18 and a couple of 16s, but then did a half on the 17th March and since then have not been well, in that i have just been exhausted. Am trying to recuperate now and had a massage yesterday to try and get rid of my stiffness in my hips and aim to do a 16 on Friday, but in the back of my mind i am just not sure if i am ready for next weekend.

Any advice people or just general morale/help?

I have done marathons before, and have looked at previous training and thought i have done more on less but for some reason i am sufferring from a mental block at the moment.

Any help is much appreciated. Hope all are doing swimmingly well.

Nic

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dannir you should know who to talk to for the supporters guide.image

Nic hang in there. Your head space dilemma is very common and I am right there with you. I am going to start and see where the course takes me image
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RS - All roads lead to Ave Foch. image

Nic - Rest, recover and get healthy for the start line. If you've lost time to illness then you may not have done the training you want, but if you've trained well until that point you should be fit enough to get around. Maybe you just need to plan a strategy for getting around at a slower pace than you originally targeted.

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    PC91 wrote (see)

No, the ladies are safe.  I'm not going.

What? I think you need written permission not to turn up for that one.

• NCane2 it's very common to feel undertrained and worn out at this stage. I suspect that even people who are doing 100 mile weeks are feeling the same. You have some long runs under your belt - I wouldn't go as long as 16 on Friday, it's getting a bit close to recover properly, especially if you haven't been well. I'd try 12 and see how it goes.

Travel kettles - always travel with one, for porridge pots and emergency cups of tea.

Insurance - check with your insurance company if you're covered for non-professional running at marathon distance. Many will be fine with it, but a few aren't, so it's worth checking.

Re strange men - I've twice been offered a seat on the Tube recently. I'm assuming this is either because I have been looking a) devastatingly attractive or b) knackered. I choose to assume a).
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DLR - Not going?

• Tea pot...... Suzies has been all over the world with us
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Insurance - Tesco offer marathon running as standard in their travel insurance

• Glorious sunshine here!! Running in a t- shirt and only one pair of running tights!! Spring may be here...........at last!!image

Just tried Almond Milk for the first time and I actually like it.image

I have been speaking to the children about safety and pick pockets, with the outcome being that I am getting all phones, money etc............and who said I was the responsible adult????image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Snowing heavily here image Bonkers

• Orbutt wrote (see)

DLR - Not going?

Only the Pasta Papa meal image  Not sure what my plans will be on the saturday so don't want to commit.  I probably will stay in Paris but may have a day trip somewhere.  Probably not by charabanc.

• No pain, no pain......think I'll give Rocky V a miss....image

off to walk the dogs

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Ay yes Orbutt, the petitions scam.  I fell for that last year on the footbridge across from Museé d'Orsay.  The petition itself was an incredibly poor quality photocopy but (thinking that signing would make her go away) I signed and then she started gesturing for the 'donation'.  Nothing intimidating just irritating.  I gave her €2 coin just to get rid.

For the pick pockets a common scam seems to be to ask for directions while an accomplice nabs the brass.

I must admit i'm one of the most unsociable people to meet on the street. I completely ignore them.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

yes be careful my father in law was bumped by a gang a couple of years ago. All money and valuables should be kept well out of sight. 

• Thanks guys for the advice. Gonna stick to slower pace and shorter run on Friday and focus on rest and recovery.

Oh and with looking through all your lists and advice...some planning. image

Trying to get and stay positive.
  • Marine Corps Marathon site down already...

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

The Jimbob - How/Where did you order the photos and the race video ?  Thanks.

• PC91: ASO site - log in, select Marathon de Paris under my races and then on the right there as an ad for optional upgrades. Video, texts, poster .... and pasta party

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RS - I do know who to get the guide from - just thought you were still out travelling the world somewhere and not logging on too often.

PC91 - go to your ASO page and you'll see it there. I ordered also.

No run today - sports massage instead. Post-massage the taper induced phantom pains have now become real pains.

Saturday afternoon in Paris will likely find me in a movie.  It's the best way I can find to force myself not to play tourist and walk around too much.

• MCM 2013. I have a place. I think the process was better than Chicago, by the seem of it. The process has also served as a reminder that I have absolutely NO patience.

• Woo hoo!  Very jealous.  Really slick organisation and Washington is full of free museums to visit, either on foot or by underground.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Iain - excellent!  I am signed up for Chicago else I would have done MCM.  Remember, in Atlanta we have plenty of space for you.

• Awesome indeed IM2. Well Jealous!

• Well done IM2.

Just surfaced from 2 days in bed and feeling well rested. Not 100 percent, but is anyone feeling 100 percent at the moment?? Spent lots of time under the duvet studying metro and RER maps. I am now much more confident that me and Mrs Mac WILL get lost!

There are some good free apps available on the Paris transport system for any other newbies like me.
  • 'RATP' is the best one I have come across.