Radcliffe might not run again

2»

Comments

• I'm pretty sure her World Record is one of the best Athletic performances of all time... I don't think even Keitany will be able to get within 2 minutes of it judging by how fast she died when she went out at 2:16 pace last year.

All down to incredible hard work, if I remember correctly she was putting away consistent 140 mile weeks for years and then doing hours a day of cross training on top.

It would have been good to add the medals to that, but her Marathon major performances speak for themselves.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

When you see athletes get faster as the years go on, and see a record that hasn't even come close to being matched 10years later you do think one of 2 things. 1) That she was truly remarkable, best there's ever been, or 2)maybe something dodgy?

Would be gutted if it wasn't number 1.

If she'd been Chinese, I'm certain people would have been all over it with doubt.

• For the record I believe in her... but sadly I also believed in Lance, another athelete who trained incedibly hard and put in astonishing performances.

• She's always been anti-drugs. Mrs Lough would never cheat - ever!

• Whoa Paula was and still is so anti drugs it would be the biggest hypocrisy ever. like it has been said Paula's performance came from years and years of stupid mileage and luck. its not like she just appeared out of nowhere. she was winning 5000's & 10000`s outside of major championships for years before moving up to the marathon. I think her problem in major championships came from wanting it too much and pushing to hard. her training for major cities was considerably less than for for major championships.

lance while being good before cancer, post cancer he just took off. he was accused time after time to be doping. don't think anyone ever accused Paula of doping.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I tend to trust unless proven otherwise. It would be horrible if she wasn't clean.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

As a slight aside - did anyone notice that Denise Lewis appeared to absolutely loathe Radcliffe at the recent indoor championships in Gothenburg?  Anytime Radcliffe spoke, Lewis looked like she wanted to rip her head off.

Is there a story there that I've missed...??

On topic - Radcliffe's WR performance was incredible.  Shame that she didn't manage to reach the heights at major championships.

• At risk of being one of the aforementioned, urine-stained, fat gobshites who hurl vitriol at people I don't know... I always thought Denise Lewis came across as a very cold person. Of course, I am probably very wide of the mark, and even if she is, a lot of very focused people come across like that.

• that's very mild for vitriol, Peter image

I've seen Michael Johnson come across as nice as pie sometimes, then pretty cold and blunt others. I think people at the sharp end of sport can be focused to the point of appearing emotionless at times.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Met both Jonathan Edwards (before the meet had started) and Colin Jackson (halfway through) at Crystal Palace the year before last.
    The former signed the kids' programme without a word, looking like he'd rather be somewhere else, the latter was all chuckles, talkative and good humoured.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How many 1000s of signings and meets do you reckon these stars face a year.

Only a saint would get through them all with a smile!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Jessica Ennis stayed and signed every last autograph , she was trackside for a good half hour. Might have been different if she was competing though!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Paula's training model has always been high volume high intensity.

As long as she recovered it was great. She smashed 2002 & 2003 not because of 120 mile weeks but on account of the years of lesser volumes leading up to them.

The risk is, once this tactic doesn't work, it can easily become over training. And if one doesn't recognize this or refuses to acknowledge this fact, then a decline is inevitable.

There's been a decade of this.

Never doping.

🙂

• It's a difficult one this. In a sense, we are their 'customers' - if no one watched, they'd just be fast/strong people doing their thing in a park. So they do have some obligations, especially now they're professional. But there are limits, and I guess some of the people who disturb them would try the patience of a saint. I always feel that whatever job you do, if you take an interest in it and the people you meet through it, you'll have a far better time of it.