Options

Chesty cough

Hi everyone I started running a couple of months ago. I followed the runners 6 week 5 k program, which I completed and was able to run 30 mins in one go (all treadmill training due to freezing weather and having no one to run with in the dark!). I then started 12 week program for half marathon training. Got to beginning of week 2 and then came down with nasty chest infection, which I have just finished a course of antibiotics for. I haven't run for two weeks. Should I basically just start from scratch, or see how I get on. I still feel a bit chesty, but it's driving me crazy not running, and I don't want to undo all of my hard work Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

It will probably take you another couple of weeks to fully get over your chest infection. You may feel fine but it will show in your running.

For the next to weeks just do some easy running. Start with short distances and build slowly. See how it goes. Don't be surprised if yu just want to curl up and go to sleep after your first few runs.

So long as you don't try to do too much too soon you will be fine. If you do just go back out and pick up from where you left off you may very well find that you put yourself back by more than you originally lost. Better safe than sorry.

• Options
    Thanks. I have done two runs this week, only ran two miles each time. As you said, I definitely felt it after I finished, and legs were like lead during the first few minutes. I will take it easy