"Two stone off" 2013

Comments

• Sounds like some good running was had over the weekend. But not by me: icy snow has put paid to that since Thursday evening. Turbo trainer for me tonight. Really regret not getting a Wilmslow place: I think I would have liked a chilly run, and by the sounds of it a decent PB possibility. Well, any run would have been good, TBH. Though Rome REALLY sounds good.

• Well with everything going on that week Rome was the place to be

• For those of you doing Chester marathon, have you identified a half-marathon tune-up race? My choice is either Warrington English Half Marathon on the 8th September, or a small one up near Aberdeen (near my parents). Any other choices?

• Right, we seem to have got to Monday. So this is the day I said I'd start the food diary. I'm putting this here so you can all nag me tonight and see if I've actually started it! (oh and make sure I've recorded my weight from friday too, cos otherwise I'll forget what it actually was...)

Mikasa - it's Monday!

Anyone else starting anything today?

I'm not running today - the weather's still horrible and loads of ice out there - but am planning on a rowing/crosstraining session this evening.
  • Warrington is perfect for a half marathon tune up, I've done three of them, first 6 miles is up a gradual hill and the last 4 miles is down apart from an up and over on the main bridge.

• Well done Shona for getting started...

Yes I think Warringtons the place for me, and I'll also do the South Cheshire 20 which is the following week. In August I think there's a couple of interesting events, Leek HM and the Belper 30k, not sure of the dates.
  • Yep, weighed myself this morning, i need to lose 10lb.

I eat quite healthily (except after wine/vodka). So the plan is to lay off the drink during the week and see what happens.

I'm off to forest fitness tonight, i imagine it'll be tough in the snow drifts.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EKGO - nice start!

I weighed myself this morning as well. Need to lose 21lbs to get back to normal and 28lbs if I want to get to the weight I'd like to be. That's a bloomin load of pounds. I have to say I never thought it would happen to me,gaining that much weight. Well, now it's payback time.

• Mikasa - you got to start somewhere, upsa nd downs etc, my aim will be three weeks of loss on the run to start with, after that I'll re-assess

• Just found out about a FREE aquathlon about half a mile from my house, in about 4 weeks. Would be rude not to! But that means a tri suit!! AAAARRRGGGGHHHH. Time to really re-start the weight loss good and proper. Wet lycra really focusses the mind.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

I weighed myself too this morning.  Got more to lose than I thought image  Oh well, gotta start somewhere image

Free aquathlon sounds good.

• K80 - what's forest fitness? (although I suspect I'll regret asking!)
  • Great start EKGO!

Forest fitness - a group of us running up and down hills (look up Moel Arthur) with periodic stops for squats, planks and press ups etc.

I've loved doing it on the dark winter nights. It's great watching a trail of head torches meander downhill. Then you get home and catch yourself in the mirror looking like a mud wrestler image
  • Ah, as I thought, sorry I askedimage. Sounds like it's a great work out though.
  • Is it too late to squeeze in on this one?

I started running with C25k in november and have worked my way down to 13st7 over the last year from a high of 16st10.

I cycle as well, but the running has really highlighted how much excess weight I am carrying.

I am now a normal BMI but would like to drop another stone and hopefully get my 5k time down from 22:17.

• Hi Walney

Your post is inspiring for me as 16st10 is the highest recent weight for me and I want to get to at least 13st7.

What is C25k?

I went out last night and jogged 10.37km/6.44 miles - according to walkjogrun.  Better than doing nothing although not the 13 miles I was hoping to do at the weekend.

• Sorry, C25k is the nhs couch to 5K programme! It got me fromnot being able to run for a minute to entering a 10K in may.

Sounds like you got a good run in especially the way the weather is at the mo!

• Hi. I'm new to this so hello. I would so LOVE to run. Whenever I do, my knees or hips ache, I walk miles and miles no problem. So can you help? I need to lose 2 stone and am a bit of an oldie at 52 - have I left it too late?
  • Welcome Sue, apologies for lack of advice. I've just come on to confess to falling off the wagon int the Lindt eggs image
  • The confessional eh? Well say 3 Hail Marys and eat a cadburys creme egg!

If it was easy we'd all be stick insects wouldn't we? image
  • Room for another one in the thread? Though I only want to lose a stone. I say 'only' but I have never been on a diet in my life and never lost any weight!I'm at a weight I darent tell people IRL I'm trying to lose as they would tell me I don't need to. But I hope it's ok for me to post here. I'm trying to lose a stone as my wieght has slowly crept up over the last five years, then suddenly jumped another 1/2 stone in the last 6 months so I've decided to do something about it.

My plans are portion control and watching snacks, then see how things go. I'd got into the habit of going to the work canteen lunch time where the portions are huge, and then I'd still be hungary by 5pm! I've been trying to watch what I eat for past two weeks, but not sure if I've actually lost anything. My scales are cheap and can vary by 1/4 of a stone depending how I stand on them! PLus today there was a charity cake sale at work just before lunch time so I had to get a cup cake.

• Belated well done on the 2lb EKGO!

And welcome Sue and Catalin. Sue, I'm sure someone has suggested this already, but have you tried the Couch to 5k program? it builds Running into a walking program very gradually and therefore your body should adjust easier. You're not too old to start!

Catalin - the rise of the work charity cup cake sale is possibly the biggest contributor to UK weight problems.... Maybe I exaggerate but we seem to have one at my place every day! I'm also looking to lose a stone so that's fine, any running goals to go alongside the weight loss?

My weeks been terrible so far, too much travel around the country has resulted in some bad snacks. And red wine last night. Back on track today.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Catalin Bond wrote (see)

Room for another one in the thread? Though I only want to lose a stone. I say 'only' but I have never been on a diet in my life and never lost any weight!I'm at a weight I darent tell people IRL I'm trying to lose as they would tell me I don't need to. But I hope it's ok for me to post here. I'm trying to lose a stone as my wieght has slowly crept up over the last five years, then suddenly jumped another 1/2 stone in the last 6 months so I've decided to do something about it.

Welcome Catlin, of course there's room for more! And regardless how much you have to /want to lose. I've never been on a diet either and never will be. I think all of us here aren't for short term miracles. We know that only proper nutrition and bit of exercise will work I blame some of my weight gain on changing my method of contraception. Will go back on the pill asap! (sorry guys if this is too much info for you...image)

Unfortunately, I'm still bit cautious about going running (sprained my ankle at the start of the month) and the cold doesn't help my motivation to go out. I was doing an exercise dvd at home but now bf has been home all week so been not doing it. Eating has been ok bar couple of slices of home made lemon drizzle cake I took to work. I did have two cans of coke at work yesterday as well. Work is very hectic and stressful atm with end of financial year.

• Thanks for the welcome guys. My running goals are sub 2 HM (Pb 2.02.30, recent time 2.06.30) a 53.xx 10k and sub 25 min 5k. My motivation is a friend that has similar goals. She's always been a couple of mins behind me but has been flowing the runners world sub 2 HM plan and has smashed my 5k Pb! Know you're meant to run for yourself but there's nothing like a bit of competition to motivate!

Mikasa I have wondered if my pill caused me to gain weight but I think it was lifestyle changes - a more sedentary job plus starting to way bigger lunches!
  • Sue Allain wrote (see)
    Hi. I'm new to this so hello. I would so LOVE to run. Whenever I do, my knees or hips ache, I walk miles and miles no problem. So can you help? I need to lose 2 stone and am a bit of an oldie at 52 - have I left it too late?

Hi Sue

I'm 52 too. I was an infrequent jogger until I turned 30 then stopped. I got a dog 4 years ago; this was good because it forced me to get out of the house and walk it twice a day. I started jogging with the dog and I thought one of my knees had worn away the cartilage because it developed a bit of a dull ache - although it persisted for some time, this ache has since disappeared. I also stumbled jogging on a dirt track and thought I may have broken one the bones in my foot or ankle - again, the pain eventually disappeared.

I stopped joggin for sme reason until I went on holiday in Oct last year.  The hotel had a good gym and I went every day and surprised myself how far I could go on the treadmill.  When I got back I mapped out a 5 mile course and again surprised myself that I could actually jog it without too much difficulty.  I thought I should try and develop jogging into a habit so I set myself a goal by entering the Reading Half Marathon 17/03/2013 and asked my daughter (who's fairly sporty) if she'd do it with me.  This was good because once my duaghter was committed she'd make sure I kept training and didn't back out. 

Unfortunately, without boring you with the details, there was a death in the family in January and I spent Jan and Feb doing a lot of comfort eating, drinking and doing no exercise other than walking the dog. I seem to have put on 2 stone - I don't even know if thats possible in 2 months but I seem to have achieved it!  My daughter started nagging me to get training again for the half marathon which by now was only 2 weeks away. on 2nd march I jogged 11 miles and on the 9th i did 13 miles and the following weekend i did the half marathon.  I've put in for the Caridff half marathon in Oct, again with my daughter so i keep at it. 

To get back to the weight i was in my twenties i would need to lose 4st7 but I'll be hppy if i knock off 3st by October.

I hope my little story helps.image

• Well done GBFB,it does show what can be achieved, and I'm sure you'll knock a good chunk of the 4 stone off...

Catalin - my 1st goal this year is also a sub 2 hour HM, I'm down to 2.03.40 and am hoping that a few lbs lighter will help. My 5k and10k times improved massively last year due to Parkrun and following a plan, but i struggle at longer distances.

Dan - I was looking at the longest parkrun mail that was sent out last night, and on the links saw your name mentioned.... Sounds good. I am tempted to try and join you, not sure we'll be able to do one here given we have no close parkruns to ours. I'll speak to some of our parkrunners on Saturday and get some views...
  • Oh and have a fantastic Easter weekend everyone....
  • That would be great, Andy. We're in the final stages (I hope!) of agreeing the 7 courses we are running, and the more runners the merrier.