RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Just thought I would pop in and say hello. Very impressed and jealous at the same time of the good running that is going on.

I am much better today than I was on Monday. But am I better enough to start running again. Not sure.

I have been trying not to set a deadline about having to have got out running and linking it to " therefore I can run Paris".

I fully get the fact that the underlying fitness will still be there.

I also know that this will have impacted my pace but what I am struggling with is by how much and how do I find out without risking another relapse and without tiring myself out before the race itself.

I have taken alot of medicatin and this will impact my recovery time.

So Spoons is suggesting that maybe I consider a Plan B.

I hate giving up as it feels the wrong thing to do. I accept that I can only do as well as I can do on the day and however good that is, I will have to be happy with that.

But should I be sensible and find another race and get myself back into peak condition to go for the kind of PB that I now want.

Should I wait and see how I feel after that first run. I am toying with doing this tomorrow. If I run tomorrow how far should I go ? About an hour is what I am thinking.

I am certainly in the really confused and undecided camp at the minute.

• Carl, I really sympathise with being in the undecided camp! Part of me still thinks "maybe I could do Manchester...." It's so tough, when the main concern is not if you WANT to run, but rather whether the marathon will have a negative impact on your health. It's  a tough call indeed...and every situation is different. For me, I know that I would go out and give 110% on "the day" but would then be wracked with anxiety afterwards that  had done some harm, and it was was thought of that that made my decision. Obviously your situation is so different- you have done almost all your training (incredibly well!) so could potentially still make it trouble free. I hope you come to some definite conclusions soon! Oh, and glad to hear you're feeling a bit better! image

• Big_G wrote (see)

Is there a benefit of doing a 20-miler on less than fresh legs?  Something is telling me it's probably a good thing to try and do it on tired legs once in a while?

Yes of course. It makes it harder which has a greater training benefit.

• Carl - first run back should be 5 or 6 miles easy and see how you feel. Glad you are starting to feel better. Difficult decision for you. Honestly I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably just run Paris and the time will be what it will be. Then focus on the autumn. If getting a brilliant time NOW is key then probably best to find a late April / May marathon.

I'm really nervous about saying this but what you could do is to do Paris, jog round it really slowly (10 min mile pace no quicker). Even jog with a minute walk break every mile. Then do another marathon in May and aim for a PB. That will completely depend on how quick you recover from Paris. The quicker you run it, the slower the recovery. Plus if you still have underlying illness that will slow recovery.

• Carl - Milton Keynes or Halstead & Essex marathons are in May.....

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I went out for a very easy run at lunchtime. After 2 miles I was aware of a bit of discomfort in my knee and at 2.5 miles I stopped as it was getting worse so I thought stopping would be the best thing to do.

So, I will obviously carry on with the stretches and I have got another sports massage booked in for next Thursday.

The question is should I carry on running on it or will that do more harm than good ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - what a pair you and I have become.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I know. It was all going so well ofr so long too

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - have you considered running on treddie for a while to take impact out of the equation. You might want to add in a few more massage sessions to speed up recovery.

• This is SO not good!!! I NEED you two to run!!! I so want to see you samsh those times!! image 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Other factors mean that the treadmill is not an option at the moment.

I've got 2 more massges booked in but I'm getting other advice from runners here at work that are suggesting a physio would be better. Any thoughts ?

• Bu***r image

Best bet is probably cross training and not running for a few more days. Plus more rest, massage, stretching and exercises etc. Can you ring your massage person for some advice? Or get a quick appointment? Sometimes they do "emergency" 20 minutes slots...

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    I've left a message with a local physio to see if I can get in ASAP. Not sure what their availability is with it being Easter
  • Big G - those are cracking mile intervals. Well done - u got progressively faster on the first 3 and only tailed off marginally on the last 2 so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself!

Carter - very frustrating. You appear to taking it remarkably well... I remember years ago having a knee problem and switched to a couple of weeks of pure cycling. The knee sorted itself out during the cycling period and I am convinced I came back a stronger runner for it. I certainly didn't lose any fitness. So get on yer bike in the meantime image

Carl - Limerick, Limerick, Limerick....

Last run tonight before my HM on Saturday - took the advice and took it easy. 4 miles on the treadmill. First mile w/up with the middle two @ 7.40 and last mile cool down.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Other factors mean that the treadmill is not an option at the moment.

I've got 2 more massges booked in but I'm getting other advice from runners here at work that are suggesting a physio would be better. Any thoughts ?

Carter - I would see a physio. But as I have said before i know a very good physio so it is a no brainer for me. I feel for you but as spoons suggests. cross training is good. When I was seeing my physio in preparation for my first VLM with a dodgy calf, that was all he would let me do in between sessions as it helped maintain fitness but is zero impact. Try it.

Here am I giving you adviuce and I am not even running. Crazy or what .....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

Carl - first run back should be 5 or 6 miles easy and see how you feel. Glad you are starting to feel better. Difficult decision for you. Honestly I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably just run Paris and the time will be what it will be. Then focus on the autumn. If getting a brilliant time NOW is key then probably best to find a late April / May marathon.

So one plan could be to get a few runs in in the next few days just so I remind myself what putting one leg in front of the other is all about. Then run paris and what will be will be.

Another Plan is skip Paris, sign up for another (I hear Ricky shout Limerick and I have looked at the website) and go after the PB that I am sort of looking for now (will probably be dissapointed anyway but this running bug is a funny thing). Oirish will probably say I should do the one near him in Essex.

Another plan is to run Paris but focus on a marathon in the autumn

Then there is the Cork (hometown sortof) marathon in early June.

And then there is this :

Spoons. wrote (see)

I'm really nervous about saying this but what you could do is to do Paris, jog round it really slowly (10 min mile pace no quicker). Even jog with a minute walk break every mile. Then do another marathon in May and aim for a PB. That will completely depend on how quick you recover from Paris. The quicker you run it, the slower the recovery. Plus if you still have underlying illness that will slow recovery.

I become a mad person and run two marathons in a month.

Now I just have too much to think about ..... image

• In all honesty I would do the 2 marathons. But I would take the first one really slowly so I get the training benefit without the fatigue. The key is running slowly though. If you're the type of guy that couldn't possibly run paris in 5 hours then it won't work....

• Carl - If it is a  PB you after then I'd skip Halstead & Essex, it isn't a fast course, in fact everyone I've met who has done it before has rolled their eyes when I have mentioned I'm running it. I think my Autumn target for a good time seems increasingly more realistic. 

I'm with Spoons, I think you have to be honest with yourself and ask could you treat Paris as an extended LSR? If so do the  two. June would be good, enough time to recover fully and be primed to go. I'm glad you are on the mend, let's hope all the choices and decisions don't drive you doolally!! image

Carter - Fingers crossed for your knee, what is it about this thread? It is becoming a refuge for the walking wounded. It must be so frustrating for you and Carl so close to your events. Hopefully you'll respond well to physio.

Ricky- Good luck with the HM this weekend, has there been much improvement in the weather where you are? I fancy you are well set for a really impressive time, what are you aimimg for?

All- Any recomendations for an overseas marathon either late summer or autumn? Dublin and Valencia look enticing for various reasons but as in all things in life I am open to suggestion

• Oirish - weather is dry, calm but cold so looks like good running weather for tomorrow image I will be content with sub 1.45 , v happy to equal PB of 1.41 (or get quite close) and flabbergasted if I run sub 1.40 (v unlikely)!

Do Dublin! Obviously you won't need sun cream (one less thing to pack/forget)
  • Best of luck tomorrow Ricky. Perfect running weather in Norfolk today....

• I'm going to need sunglasses for my run today, this weather is nuts! A great day for a run here too. It's been the wind that has been driving down the temperatures and that seems to have abated a fair bit

Ricky - I'll have 50p wager with you that you equal or better your PB? No running outside it deliberately to bank the wonga mind.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    50p ? You are last of the big spenders Oirish image

Carl - is there a deadline when you have to decide if you're running Paris (for flights, hotels etc) ?

Ricky - you've put the miles in so I reckon a decent time is on the cards.

Blue skies in Sheffield this morning too. A lovely day for a run image
  • Carter - I don't want to put unnessacary pressure on Ricky by going upto a pound.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Mrs Oirish is a lucky woman to have you
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

In all honesty I would do the 2 marathons. But I would take the first one really slowly so I get the training benefit without the fatigue. The key is running slowly though. If you're the type of guy that couldn't possibly run paris in 5 hours then it won't work....

Spoons- I am probably the guy who would struggle with running it in 5 hours. That is about 11:30 pace. Not much slower than walking it.

But I am getting interested in the 2 marathons idea.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    I've got a physio session booked in for Tuesday. It's the earliest one I could get at short notice and with it being Easter
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - I am booked on the eurostar which is non refundable but it is insured. So if I do not go I just need to persuade my doctor to give me a letter and no doubt that will be another £20 to go along with the £20 for giving me the medical cert that I was fit to run .... As long as I notify hotel by Thursday I wil not be charged. Race fee is only refundable if I took out specific insurance when I entered and I do not think I did. Cannot defer like you can with VLM.

I still want to go and if I do I am just going to do my best not necesisarily go after a sub 3:45 PB.

I think I need to run later today to loosen up and then go for a proper run either tomorrow or Sunday and test myself a little in this with a few miles of MP.

I will have a better understanding then of what I am capable of.

Milton Keynes is on Bank Holiday Monday (as is Limerick I hear Rickly say).

Cork is on the Irish bank holiday at the beginning of June. If I go to Paris and run it but not race at the MP that I used be capable of doing, then Cork is probably in a better timeframe to recover, train hard and taper to race for the PB. But it is not flat.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - best of luck with the HM tomorrow. You will do very well as your training has been perfect.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    oirisheyes wrote (see)

All- Any recomendations for an overseas marathon either late summer or autumn? Dublin and Valencia look enticing for various reasons but as in all things in life I am open to suggestion

I am going to be doing Dublin this year. It was a bit of a toss up with New York and Dublin won !!!!! image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - great to hear that you have a physio session booked. Are you going to wait until that before running on road again ? This must be really tough for you. Hang in there as you have a great endurance base built up.

Early morning sunshine has dissapeared. I will be venturing out when the OH comes back from doing the weekend food shopping. It is still chilly out there so I will be wrapping up with gloves and hat for the run.