Palpitations and irregular pulse

Over the past 2 weeks, I noticed an increased frequecy of awareness of my heart beating very strongly every few beats (not consecutive beats). I've also noticed that when my heart does that, I miss a pulse when I check my pulse. It comes in spells when at rest, lasting a few minutes to 1-2 hours. No problems during running. Did a long run on sunday with no occurence of this phenomenon.

I used to get this sensation when I was running a year ago, but the heart would beat heavilyu just the once, then that's that. Not as recurrent as now. I've not changed my diet, not taken any meds, no change in coffee intake. I'm not in pain or dizzy during those 'attacks', just a strange sensation when my heart beats heavily.

If this is a known occurence in runners or most people, I don't really want to go and see my GP. Just wondered if anyone had similar experiences.

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Go see your GP.

Now!

This minute!

🙂

• I think the only way forward is to see your GP.......

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I wouldn't panic, because the chances are good that there are no serious issues. But there could be. So you must take the above advice.

And when you're at the doctor's... be honest.  If you're the sort who likes to avoid the gp, then there's a danger you'll downplay the symptoms!

Get it sorted, then you're sorted.

• What you're feeling seems likely to be an ectopic heart-beat - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001100.htm

Coincidentally I have also had a few spells of these recently; some over a period last year and some more recently. They are exactly as you described. 

Both seem to have come on at a point where I have increased my fitness. 

Though I'm not too worried about these I'd rather be safe than sorry - so I'm booked in to see my GP next week.

I'd recommend that you do the same.

I have a friend who collapsed but thankfully recovered from an undiagnosed congenital heart condition (Long-QT syndrome). She was very lucky. It was after seeing her this weekend that I thought It would be sensible to just go and get it checked out.

All it takes is an ECG to identify issues or give the all clear.

I'm hoping I get to have a 24-hour ECG - it's always fun to have data on how fit (or un-fit) you are! Wonder if they could test my VO2 max at the same time?  

Hope everything is OK when you get it all checked out.

• It's certainly not a by product of running.  It could be any number of things and you should see a GP because it is not right. 

I had a full set of tests done after a heart problem on a HM a couple of years and it really puts you at ease when you know more

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Thanks all! I'm going to get it sorted!

• You haven't died in the last 2 weeks... Stop wasting your doctors time.

Other opinions are available
  • Ignore the chap above and get to the GP! I've had a similar thing recently- except I get tingling in my fingers?

• I have an ectopic heart beat and my doctor says I am fine to run with it.

I suppose it all depends on your own circumstances and best to get a GP to check it out ; might be for various different reasons all with different outcomes.

I know I felt much better for seeing my doctor and it stopped me worrying about it.

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Just an update: I'm still alive!

Had an ECG, and OK, there were ectopics captured on it, but otherwise a normal ECG. Also had blood test to check for electrolyte imbalance, and all OK.

Seem to be getting it about every 2 days, but not when I'm running, and not related to activity. I feel fine otherwise, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it.

• I suffer from this occasionally and it freaked me out at first.

I had an ECG and a 12 point exercise stress test and all was normal.  The guidance from the cardiologist was "it happens to some people, some don't even notice it.  There's nothing underlying that's wrong that we can see.  Keep running, try not to get stressed and your heart most likely won't be the first thing to go on you".

If you are not getting any pain or dizziness etc. then I'd relax and accept it for what it is. 

• I am a long-term runner over 24 years running.   Last year I developed symptoms unlike yours, but I decided to go to the GP.  Four months later in January 2013 I had  a Pacemaker fitted, my problems are now solved and I am back running.  I urge you get checked by your GP and to be open and honest about your symptoms.