Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Comments

• Evening DS2!

Have been prescribed antibiotics … hopefully they’ll kick in soon and I can stop moaning and start running. Running buddy told me I was upside down … my nose was running and my feet were smelling – and it should be the other way round!

• Evening PC91

Oh My Goodness!! I am TOTALLY making that!!! That looks AMAZING …

(pauses for a few moments to wipe drool from keyboard)

That is going to be my treat for after the Paris marathon and I am going to eat it in ONE sitting.

• Evening Ruth Nutritionist!

I’ve been SO good this week – sweet potatoes (despite looking like poos on a plate) have been an addition to my evening meal practically every day! I’m planning on using the pre-race food plan as recommended by you for the two days leading up to the race and adding additional carbohydrates all this week.

One thing … I’ve been feeling pretty ill for the last week and have finally been given antibiotics today. However, when waiting for the appointment I holed up in a coffee shop but forgot to specify de-caffeinated … and realised a little while later that the headache I’ve had for a week had disappeared. Thinking I maybe should have cut the coffee down rather than cutting out – wondering whether the headache was caffeine withdrawal. I do tend to drink rather a lot of coffee at work.

Will I be ok to have maybe just 2 or 3 cups a day leading up to the race? Or would you recommend going back to cutting it out totally? Not sure I can manage the headache for another week … although on the plus side a marathon and 3 hours without a headache might make the running bit seem a bit easier! image

• Evening Steve Marathon Coach

A quick update! I haven’t run for a week as I’ve been feeling so drained and exhausted. I popped to a walk in centre today and got some antibiotics for sinusitis which apparently should start working 24 - 48 hours. Also I’m looking to start drinking a bit of coffee again as I’m wondering whether part of the ‘feeling like hell’ was caffeine withdrawal! Not a big part, mind but enough to make me feel worse!

I’m back in Dorset at the moment and will hopefully be able to drag the little sister out for a gentle run tomorrow. Misery likes company and all that. I’ll let you know how I get on.

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Ruth!

Lovely to hear from you. Phew! I’m relieved to hear I’m ok on the de-caf ..! I’ve been drinking de-caf only today so will keep that up until Paris. Am I right in thinking there’s caffeine in hot chocolate …?

Thanks for the helpful tips! Hopefully I have planned around those so there won’t be any nasty portaloo-related disasters on race day!! I managed to eat pretty well after Liverpool marathon although I remember I struggled to eat any dessert after the main meal … VERY unlike me! J When would you like me to start adding in more carbs? I’m having a sweet potato every day with meal now and have started adding rice cakes (+ toppings) into my days more frequently…

Sorry for delay in replying, I have been away with work and able to read posts but not submit! Start increasing carbs on the Thursday evening and then follow plan for Friday & Saturday.

RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Ruth Nutritionist!

I’ve been SO good this week – sweet potatoes (despite looking like poos on a plate) have been an addition to my evening meal practically every day! I’m planning on using the pre-race food plan as recommended by you for the two days leading up to the race and adding additional carbohydrates all this week.

One thing … I’ve been feeling pretty ill for the last week and have finally been given antibiotics today. However, when waiting for the appointment I holed up in a coffee shop but forgot to specify de-caffeinated … and realised a little while later that the headache I’ve had for a week had disappeared. Thinking I maybe should have cut the coffee down rather than cutting out – wondering whether the headache was caffeine withdrawal. I do tend to drink rather a lot of coffee at work.

Will I be ok to have maybe just 2 or 3 cups a day leading up to the race? Or would you recommend going back to cutting it out totally? Not sure I can manage the headache for another week … although on the plus side a marathon and 3 hours without a headache might make the running bit seem a bit easier! image

Caffeine withdrawals are very unlikely to last a week, only a couple of days so think the headache more likely to do with cold. I would cut caffeine out totally but don't worry about a bit of chocolate (although when carb loading best to avoid as remember the aim is to keep overall calories as low as you can and replace most fat with carbs!).

I am sure you will be 100% in another few daysimage

• Evening Ruth

Thank you for the quick reply this evening … don’t worry about last week – as I haven’t been able to run the reply wasn’t urgent! image

Hee hee … so maybe not relief from an addiction, just the relief from a decent cup of coffee then! I’ll follow your advice about upping the carbs on the Thursday and then keeping to the food plan Friday and Saturday.

• Hi Sarah, ive never heard of a walk in centre do that before, but on a positive note least that means that your not sat around for several hours waiting to be seen and picking up everyone elses bugs!

Im hoping that the antibiotics work for you. Sinusitis is a strange one. For years we have given antibiotics for it and it seemed to work, but recent evidence says that their not that effective and a steroid nasal spray works better and that should be first line. When you discuss this with your patients however they all still want the antibiotics as they have all responded well and quickly to them!

I remember going on a detox diet before, I cut out caffeine and anything artificial. I had an awful headache and felt like I had got flu. I only lasted a couple of days then went back to eating normally. On doing so I was bouncing of the walls, had so much energy and felt so good that the "ill feeling" was worth it!

The race I did was just 15k in france. I managed to come 2nd lady, finishing in 1 hr 4 mins. The place we went to in France was lovely, not to far from paris. Im so jealous that you will be there next week, its such a magnificent city.

The weather was lovely this morning in York, the sun had certainly got its hat on....then it started snowing in the evening...this weather is so unpredictable!
  • Hope you feel better RRR - an easy controlled run should do you good.  

• Evening Sarah O!

Apparently it’s a new thing. I don’t think we have a walk in centre in Rugby – this one is in Yeovil, in the Boots store! Yes was good not to have to sit around and wait … and try not to breathe all the bugs in! I didn’t see a doctor but a Nurse Practitioner. She didn’t mention a steroid nasal spray but suggested a good option might be a steamy bowl with Olbas Oil in.

I’ve been pretty good – haven’t eaten anything processed today except cheese … and the coffee! image Just have felt dreadful the last couple of days but within about half an hour, an hour of drinking a cup of coffee felt so much better! Not great but a lot better … was very strange! Maybe it was just having an hour to sit and not do a lot in the coffee shop that made the difference!

What a fantastic result in your race – well done!! You must have been ecstatic to do so well!! Woo woo!!

• Evening Steve Marathon Coach!

Thank you. I'll have a nice gentle trot tomorrow and see how I get on. I'm still not feeling fantastic, but am already feeling better than I was earlier. Not sure whether it was the cup of coffee or the TLC from being at the parents house ... or the thought of Easter Eggs on Sunday! image

• Week 15, Day 6

A 'Testing the Legs after a Week off' kind of a run ...

After a day of having to trawl around shops with the sisters looking for sparkly hair bands, I decided that no matter how rough I felt, a run had to be easier than THIS. Shopping with my sisters is like herding cats. Cats with a penchant for shiny things and weak bladders due to having to stop for a cup of tea every half an hour. Sigh.

By the time I got home it was dark. But my resolve wasn’t weakened. I had had a week off running and was finally feeling a bit better. The headache was still there but I no longer felt like a lurching zombie and the thought of a run wasn’t as dreadful as it had been for a while.

Now … problem one. I’m staying in the depths of Dorset. The house is a little oasis of warmth and light but there are dark roads, lanes and trails stretching in all other directions. I felt that I should have some company. But how to persuade the others that they really should accompany me on a night run?

Tried a positive tack … Get out in the nice fresh (slightly dark) air? Meh

Went for the calorie burning approach … Make some space for the Easter eggs tomorrow? Meh

Go to the pub? Finally got a positive … until I said that we’d be running. However fortified by the thought of some country cider they agreed to accompany me. Hi-viz on, trainers tied, head torches doled and out we set off.

The first part of the run is a mad dash downhill down the main A30 … no pavement, no verges, just a mad rabbit-like dash of ¼ mile to try and get to the pavement at the end before ending up as some sprawled hood ornament on the bonnet of one of the farmers who has had one pint too many of the Thatchers on a bank holiday. It’s amazing what an incentive this can be. Even after a week off running I managed a 5:44 min/mile over that stretch.

Apart from the mad dash we set the pace fairly conservatively as the others felt they’d be more comfortable running at 9 – 10 min/miles. It was nice running with other people even if the puffing and panting and the flashing of the super-bright head torches behind me gave the impression I was about to be abducted by asthmatic X-files type aliens. My Dad was cycling along beside us … rallying us with cries of “Come on! Only a mile to go until the pub!” and “Watch out for the sick!”.

We finally got the pub and it was safe to say that in our bright lycra we stuck out a little bit among the Bank Holiday drinkers in their finery. It also caused a certain amount of confusion when we departed as some of the more drunker revellers tried to work out why 4 people in hi-viz neon had only one bicycle between them. Think they had been expecting some Laurel and Hardy style comedy with all of us trying to ride one bike and people falling off the back and chasing on behind.

• A small challenge was set on the way back. The other 2 runners decided that they wanted to take the short route home. I wanted to go back the way we’d come as it was a nice route and we were already in our running gear. We decided to compromise. The other 2 runners would go the short way (half a mile) and I would go back the way we’d come (1 mile and a half) and we’d meet at the old Black horse and go home from there. They decided it would be a race. I pleaded illness and said I wasn’t going to race this close to the marathon. Dad suggested that if they go went around the one-way system which would make it up to three quarters of a mile then we might consider it. I told them under no circumstances was I going to race.

Waited until they got round the corner and I started sprinting …

Managed to keep the pace reasonably even but was a bit peeved when I saw head torches bobbing towards me on the final stretch … and I suspected a little bit of cheating was going on. This was confirmed when the headtorches did a U-turn as soon as they saw me coming and started sprinting towards the old Black Horse … I don’t care what anyone says … sibling rivalry doesn’t ease up when you get into your 30s …

Caught them up and we all had a nice steady trot home fortified by the pint of diet coke we’d had at the pub. I felt fine which was a relief after a week off running. Maybe not the most by-the-book run, but a test of the legs and lungs after a week off with sinusitis.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291115972

• Still unable to post pics I'm afraid ... But can you tell I've been on a night run with this pic? www.dreamingoffootpaths.blogspot.com

• Sounds like you are getting back to your old self. Try and organised yourself well in advance this week so you feel in control and not stressed the day before you travel. Lots of sleep too! Starting any journey tired is not ideal.
  • Ooooo exciting! Just think this time next week you'll have done it!!
  • Hi Sarah, glad to hear that your back running and your legs and chest felt ok. Like the running to the pub incentive, gona have to try it with chris image.

Coming second was a nice surprise after all the travelling, I didnt expect it

Whats your up coming week look like running wise? When do you head out to paris?

• Hi Sarah,

Glad to see your feeling better and loved the blog. Running to the pub is a great one- got another running pub crawl in the peak district coming up image

Not long to go now and sure you will nail it next weekend. Just try and savour the experience, but suspect that you'll manage that. I'm looking forward to reading about it!

Good luck image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Weh hey - great to see you back up and running! Did you get the post illness energy boost or is that yet to come? (if not, you can simultate it using a large quantity of egg shaped chocolate...shh, keep the noise down, Ruth may be listening...)

Have a great week. By Sunday you will be fully fired up and ready to rock.

• Hi Sarah , happy your back on your feet up and running , looked like you had a big blister on your forehead image with them pics you posted of night running. I did 3 mile today after 5 days of rest with my calf injury , I did feel it towards the end so I decided to get a referral to a physio just to be on the safe side , I,m continuing to use the RICE methodand I had a sports massage Saturday , well I've got 3 weeks to recover or it could be game over , it doesn't hurt so hopefully if I do some other kind of fitness I should be ok.
  • Glad you are feelin better Sarah, sounds like you are getting some of your zip back just in time.

• Ahem! Right.... In my defence...

The sparkly headband shopping wasn't my idea!! Infact I seem to remember it was your idea! And your idea to decide on a coffee at Costa the other side of town.. and then remember the final sparkey headband shop..back over where we were before the coffee...! Grrr!

I have to admit the pub was the sole reason me and Mr RRR agreed to run however. Although on the way back we decided to go seperatly as you were running so slowly, we didn't want you to get out of breath behind us.... so we ACTUALLY went 5miles round.. just for you to save face... and beat you to the Black Horse meeting point. AND leaving the pub we picked up a drunken runner too... although she only ran for under a minute before deciding actually it was more fun in the pub, swearing as she tripped over the kerb and back tracked. AND there was no vomit on our route.

I would prove it to you that we ran much further and faster than you.. sadly my Garmin broke. As did Mr RRRs.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    LOL - no doubting you two are definitely sisters image
  • hopefully the 'pub run' didn't exhaust you and you are continuing to feel better... 

• Afternoon Ruth McKean!

Thank you for the tips! Am pleased to confirm that all ‘to-do’ lists are done – if not actioned yet! - and all food has already been bought. Packing will start tonight and I’m expecting the nerves and pre-marathon aches to start any day now ...! image

I’m going to try and relax as much beforehand as possible but it’s going to be a late drive down to Dorset on the Thursday night after work and then a very early drive to London on the Friday ... but I’ll be able to chill on the train then!

• Afternoon Angela!!

Oh my goodness! That doesn’t seem possible!! What on earth will I be doing next Tuesday?! ... Maybe wondering where all the spare time has come from! I’ll have to keep running though otherwise my legs will get confused image

• Afternoon Sarah O!

Thank you! image

I think for my first run back I needed a proper incentive ... and I needed an incentive to entice the other 3 out with! My Dad was complaining though that on the way he was too cold cycling as we were going too slowly and on the way back apparently I was going too quick ... think he needs a bit more To-And-From-The-Pub style training. What do you reckon?

This week’s training:

Tuesday: 16 x 200 in 45 seconds with 60 seconds jog (4m total)

Wednesaday: 4m slow at 8:30s

Thursday: 3m easy and strides

Saturday: 2m jog with strides

Sunday: 26.2 at 8 min/miles .... eeekk!!!

We’re heading out this Friday ... so am starting packing tonight!!! image

• Afternoon Clive!

Thank you! image Feeling so much better today. Had a meeting this morning at work and felt no inclination to go to sleep in it ... actually does that mean I’m ok or not?! image

Oh that sounds FANTASTIC!! A running pub crawl in the peak district!! Nice!! I need more running buddies like you – my lot were complaining about the 5 mile round trip to the local on Saturday!!

I’m going to try and nail this target but I will have the biggest cheesiest grin on ... well for the first 19 or 20 miles anyway. Although I did talk quite a lot to people running near me in the Liverpool marathon so maybe I’ll be smiling the whole way in this one. Although my French isn’t very good. I can ask for wine and the loo and bizarrely the way to the football stadium (Thank you Mrs Steele French GCSE teacher for that one) so that’s the basics covered anyway!  

Although it might be handy to be able to ask “Has Ady passed this way yet?” in French too so I can check my pacing is right! image

• Afternoon Malcs!

Thank you! Finally I’m looking forward to running again! I knew something was wrong when I didn’t fancy running ... that’s VERY unlike me! image

Good scheme ... I’m going to take one with me as a pre-marathon treat ... and then 3 more as a post-marathon treat! image I checked my freezer last night – I’ve got SEVENTEEN creme eggs stockpiled in there!! I am going to have a FEAST when I get home!!! image

• Afternoon Derrick!

Ha – yes... definitely not a picture that I’ll be putting up on the wall any time soon!! I’d given my buff to my Dad to wear as he was getting cold and didn’t think about the headtorch leaving a mark! Luckily it was gone by the next morning!!

Sorry to hear your calf is still playing up. When’s your physio appointment? Glad that the rest made an improvement though even if you did feel it towards the end – shows that it should heal up reasonably quick I hope.

One of my Twitter buddies has been finding pool running incredibly effective while she has an injury and she’s been doing intervals too. Apparently very good for keeping fitness up without any impact and a lot of pools provide the floats to use too.

• Afternon Sarah Asics

Yes ... in the nick of time!! I’ve got antibiotics to take until Saturday but the Saturday run went ok. I went for a brief run ont he Sunday but got a pain behind my right knee and cut the run short ... I think I’m being Taper-Paranoid though as it was very slight and on the way back to the car it disappeared. I’m popping back in to see the lady who did the sports massage last week this afternoon though just to be safe. Can’t feel it at all today though and will do the intervals at lunchtime and will let you know.

Update: Did the intervals at lunchtime ... no twinges or anything.