Removing inner soles when using orthotics

When using orthotics (in my case, prescribed by physio for mild overpronation) do you remove the slightly moulded inner sole from your trainers?

I've used the orthotics for about 12 months, to good effect, in old Sauconys (Triumph 3). I removed the inner sole, which gave my feet plenty of room. Even with the forefoot cushioning reduced as a result, the old faithful trainers were as comfortable as ever.

A few weeks ago I decided that they really did need replacing, and I splurged on two new pairs of trainers. On physio advice, I went for neutral shoes (Saucony Triumph 10, and Mizuno Wave Rider 16) to use with the orthotics whilst working towards not needing them any more.

But they don't fit into the new shoes as well. In the Mizunos, I can fit them in, just about, with the insoles still in place, but in the Sauconys I've removed the inner sole.

What do others do? Should I buy some completely flat cushioning insoles to replace the original ones? Seems to me that they would provide more room for the orthotics as they wouldn't have any moulding at all.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• If you have orthotic insoles they should replace the moulded inner sole. But even then they might not fit perfectly into just any old shoe...

I recently got custom orthotics and had to take every pair of trainers I use into the shop to make sure the insoles were trimmed correctly so that they would fit into all of the shoes.

I was advised that with each new pair of trainers I buy, if they're a different model from any that I already have, I should take them to the shop to check the orthotic insole can fit into them correctly. I bought new Brooks Cascadias and thought the insoles fitted fine as my other shoes are Brooks Ghosts, but when I popped into the shop to check, I was told that they weren't sitting quite right and needed a tiny bit trimmed off the left one, which was done free of charge while I waited.