2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

I think I may get out tomorrow.  I've been enjoying a really relaxing weekend.

Simon,

Hi & good luck.

Jason,

Well done on the bronze.

--------------

Well done on everyone's stats for last month.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG I'm looking forward to the race report - like Fiona I've thought about giving Rotterdam a shot

mace nice 16m - good HR statsimage

Jason congrats on the Bronze at Teifiimage. Nice month's total given the number of days you had to miss. LoL at the taper milesimage

Fiona I left it blank out of respect, obviouslyimage. You share a birthday with my brother (I suspect he's a good few years older than you)...

HM enjoy the relaxing long weekendimage

---

5m recovery this morning at sub70%max.  It's supposed to be warming up but it's still 0C here...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Lol bit of a mix up my sons are 33, 30, 26 not my taper miles.

Jason that's not a taper that's still trainingimage

Mace my taper will be 74, 52, 31 of 9 runs, 7 runs and 5 runs.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Teknik cross post well done on the recovery run its still bloody cold and windy here image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Right, 20 days to beast myself on the track (first 2 weeks) and lose 11lbs. No problem!imageimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    On the subject of older runners, Martin Rees broke the world 10m record for M60s at yesterday's Teifi 10, running the bumpy 10m course in 55.04, finishing 4th overall! He recently smashed the age half mara record in 71.xx too!

Hope for us all! image
  • macemace ✭✭✭

NP - LOL i thought it was a bit of a strange taper image 

Jason - erm, i'll pass on that as your 1st week of taper smashes my highest ever weekly total image

Tek - nice recovery. What's your view on taper mileage ?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Mace- lol! It's a case of % of your peak miles, so 3 weeks out do around 75-80%, 2 weeks out 60% and final week 40%
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace - I think the percentages Jason quotes are P&D.  Personally I cut the final week so I'll be doing 57/47/18  which is 77%/64%/24%.  I do run the tune-up race 2 weeks out (but only a 5k).

• FIONA , NP I would LOVE to meet you both  but I have to get back to the hotel shower and get back on the train home image, where is everyone staying on the Saturday night ? I guess meeting up for a couple hours late Saturday afternoon might mean a bit of a logistical nightmare  ? I am travelling up and back home on a cheap train on the Thurs with my brother to collect numbers, to save the rush and hassle on the Saturday , then traveling up mid day Saturday, staying at The President Hotel in Russel Square

All boys for me 2 sons 31 and 19....3 grandsons 4.5 ,,2.5,,, 16 months..bless, got the littlest snoozing in bed with me right now..I picked him up on the way home from my night shift  , his mum is working today , looks so cute sleeping with his bum stuck up in the air  image cant sleep myself though cos he dont half wriggle and takes up half the flippin bed !!!

my taper goes 51 44 17 I have cut the 17 to a 14 miler  2 weeks out and the 13 to 11 a week out, meant to be a 10k tune up race this Saturday but I will just do the same as last week and run as fast as I can...lol and see if I can get another 10k PB in training..image

• Tek nice steady 5, hopefully Rotterdam will be fun , have a number of Dutch colleagues who say its a great race and it's a gold standard IAAF race so would be well organised I guess , plus it's a very flat course image hopefully have more luck next year in getting into VLM

My next two tapering weeks are going to be less mileage than you guys but will hopefully keep me ticking over with some MP intervals.

Brisk 4 mile walk earlier, back to it tomorrow.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason thats some record 1hour 11mins for a half wow I would be happy with 1:19 come the World Police and Fire Games, never trained just for a half and then tapered for it so that will be intresting.

NN, Fiona her sister myself and my OH are meeting up for an Indian on Saturday night your not that far away and its only a two minute walk from Victoria tube Station why not join us.

MG1 that starts and ends in a stadium I think and is a PB course.

Six mile recovery run done now to iron my uniform.

• NP according to race map it's all fairly central with start and finish in the city centre, as it's my first it will be , fingers crossed a PB for me image

For you fast guys I think it would be a good one for a PB as its reckoned to be the fastest course of any of the main city marathons.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Indian Balti House, Grosvenor Gardens House. we eat there a couple of times every year not much to look at inside or out but the food is fantastic.image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 I think there is a great chance of the world record going in London this year.

• Calves felt very stiff today, so didn't venture out for my long run. Think I'll go out for 15/16 tomorrow.

Upper body weights at the gym (tried some lunges again, knee still isn't too keen on it), then 50x25m swim.

Knee is definitely getting better, but still not 100%. I'll go to the docs after Lochaber if there is still any pain at all

• 10 mile off road along west coast on a glorious day
    5 miles along the coast to Marwick Head then back.
    Warm enough to break a sweat in a t-shirt (7C and little wind)

Was going to upload a picture of sun over Skail Bay where we set off from (but RW server not playing - dreaded 500 server error ie they screwed up the script!).

Wishing all well in run up (?down) to VLM - NN NP MG1 Fiona ...

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stuart,

Take things easy.

Jason,

They sound impressive times for that guy.

----------

Well done to everyone who's got out.  Have done the first day of week 6 of the press up challenge - the last week and this week looks a nightmare.

• Teknic - what's the link for the race list again?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done on the 10 miler

Skydrive list is https://skydrive.live.com/?id=FD94FCEE2B43A00F!154&cid=fd94fcee2b43a00f#!/edit.aspx?cid=FD94FCEE2B43A00F&resid=FD94FCEE2B43A00F%21154&app=Excel

Fetch list is here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497

(sorry the hyperlink button isn't working...)

NP nice recovery run

HM good luck - I have never got that far !

Stuart well done on the X-training, hope the run goes ok tomorrow.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.  I think I'll need it for this week!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

WOW, a busy couple of days on the thread sorry if I have missed anyone....

SM6, it is good the knee niggle is not effecting you during your run, well done with the cross training and swimming

NP, awesome stats once again and enjoy the taper image

NN, I've already replaced the battery and given the contacts a clean image once again awesome stats for the month

Fiona, I feel like I'm in good shape, a sub 4hr marathon is a lot closer than I first thought...

MG, I'll be downing a few ales myself in two weeks can't wait image

mace excellent running, you're in great shape

Jason, congrats on winning a bronze medal image

OH, been shorts and T-Shirt weather here, great run today 

Simon, welcome to the thread

5 mile recovery run straight after work, felt a little tight in the chest hoping I'm not catching a bug, the house is full of it image

It's the 12 week up to 55mile plan I'm following has 43, 32, 22.  I did 41 last week, will do 32 this week, and will do around 18 on the final week,

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done Stewart and blimey, shorts and t-shirt! It was Baltic out there, well 7 degrees but a serious wind chill!! image I hope you avoid the lurgy. I woke up on Saturday with a really sore throat but so far it has stayed there. Must be airline germs.

Had to laugh at the thought that NP'S taper mileage would be his sons ages!

Amazing running by M60 jason and good luck with the weight loss - the weight usually just falls off you when you start!

I could meet up Saturday afternoon NN/NP but just let NP know that my sister kindly booked surprise tickets for a show on Saturday night so I can meet up any time other than Saturday night. image I'll be at Royal Horseguards on Whitehall - handy for the finish!

Rest day for me and a massage booked tomorrow, hope it sorts out the niggly bits!

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

HM4 well done on the press ups.

OH i bet you have lots of great views, well done on the 10 miles.

SC well  done on ypur run now keep germ free, sounds about right with the milageimage

Fiona thats not a problem just let me know when and where all I plan on doing on Saturday is sleeping in and looking around a few shops. Enjoy your massage and rest day image

6 miles done with 4 miles tempo image

• Hi All, I think you guys are a level (or 10) above me but I'll use you as my inspiration as I get closer to my big day on 28th in Manchester. 

NP - I'll try to omcrease the number of longer runs over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again and I'll contimnue to read with interest.

• I'll also learn to use spellcheck!

• Simon Fawke wrote (see)

I'll also learn to use spellcheck!

No dont its funny...image

let me know where and when you will be meeting up in the afternoon and I will try and come along

Pilates and 7 miles with strides later

• Night Nurse wrote (see)
    Simon Fawke wrote (see)

let me know where and when you will be meeting up in the afternoon and I will try and come along

Night Nurse wrote (see)
    Simon Fawke wrote (see)

Not sure yet as also running with my much younger nephew and my 18 year old son so have to figure out who's doing what after the run. Will let you know.

• macemace ✭✭✭

welcome Simon

Rest day yesterday and had to be in work for 6am today so will run tonight

As a consequence of that and tapering i felt as fat as a house today as i waddled off out the door to be air lifted onto my bike image

Still, i'm sleeping well ( that must make me a lazy fecker !! ) and dreaming about taper mileage, cream cakes, guiness .....

• macemace ✭✭✭

jason - thanks

Tek - thanks, i'll do something similar in the last week i think

* bites nails to cuticle , nibbles at left elbow