Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Hi JusT

Coming over from Australia last year, I'd packed a variety of layers to wear to try and cater for all conditions. By the forecast, I'm guessing it's going to be about the same this year. On the day, I wished I'd had tights to wear (instead of shorts) as the wind was icy cold.

I also wish I'd held onto my 'throwaway' jumper and garbage bag longer (as a few others have mentioned).

I ended up wearing a t-shirt with the snood they give you at the expo (a very handy bit of kit), arm warmers and gloves the whole way around. I'd suggest getting yourself some gloves, but just go into Coles or Safeway and grab yourself some of those white cotton gloves they have in the cleaning products aisle for $2. 

My predicted outfit is going to be tights with short-sleeved t-shirt, armwarmers and gloves once I've discarded an old tracksuit jumper (that I'm yet to purchase...).

My other tip for you is to bring a handkerchief with you. My nose gets really runny in colder weather, something I didn't have as much in Australia. Tissues tend to get wet pretty quickly, either with sweat or water or whatever, and just disintegrate. Sure, you can snot onto your sleeves/gloves/snood, but a hanky keeps things just that little bit classier....and we're all about that here!image And it was also handy to hide the fact that I was bawling my eyes out for the last 6km...

I'm in full-scale, 'I can't do this' panic. Last year, this didn't strike until the Wednesday before. It might have something to do with the fact that Mr Maus is 25,000 km away, uncontactable and unable to hose me down.image

Thanks MM, will track down some cotton gloves and maybe some arm warmers. And a hanky. I think my Dad is the only person I know with a hanky... But still, great thinking. I must say I hadn't heard "hosing me down" but I get the feeling that's what Mr T has been doing to me for the last two weeks...

In other news, I'm all packed and only have 1.5 days left of work until we fly out. Not long for last minute freak outs now!! I keep reminding myself that it's not like we're going to the back of beyond, I will be able to buy almost anything I need once I get there, right?

Is there any super last minute things I should think of? Convocation/med cert printed & scanned, I think that's the main thing, right?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Gaaaaaah my legs are fecked!  7 miles with 2 @ MP.  The only bit that felt ok was the MP.  And I've still got a dodgy stomach - I feel sicky all the time but no other symptoms. image

• Today' nugget:

'It's important to know how to hold your horses before the 32nd kilometre'
  • I'm not sure that plodding does one any favours at the moment. My legs felt horrible yesterday morning but after a speedy 5 miles they felt loads better.

Currently at Godstone farm Surrey with my tribe. Warming up fron the freezing cold with a cuppa in the tea room while the dustbins have a burn round the softplay
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

How many horses should I pack?  Bloody hell, nobody mentioned horses...

• I've been checking out a few different weather sites , and I will pick the best weather I see nearer the time , as long as its warmer than Scotland ill be happy ,

But looking at base layer top , long sleeve top , shorts , long football socks , beanie hat and two pairs of gloves and running shoes

Sunglasses , garmin , headphones , iPod , phone , jelly babies , hankie , belt for stuff , Baggie top for start then throw away , pace band calculator ,

I like lists image
  • Oh no I forgot to add horses to the list image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Kitchen sink, Scott! Kitchen sink! Weren't you IN the Scouts? image

• YM - looks like you're perfectly tuned to run your MP thenimage

I am so glad I've got this thread to show me i'm not the only one who is 'going a bit odd' in the week before the race!!

Re clothing; I'm more than happy running in shorts and a t shirt in anything over 0 degrees but I had forgotten about being in the pen for so long. As I've already left home I've had to resort to raiding my dad's decorating wardrobe, so if you see someone loitering in the blue pen in a baggy jumper covered in paint, it's probably me!!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

two sticks to rub together to start a warming fire in the pen...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ward do you want me to bring anything for you - we're driving so it's no bother, I'm sure we can find an old hoodie knocking around the place.

Glad to hear you've taken Madness to the Pyreneesimage

• YM - phantom niggles. No problem. Your stomach is due to nerves. Chill, distract yourself with work. Listen to some inspiring music. You're going to be class. I've seen your Garmin data!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm I've just looked at my garmin data from this morning - seems I was running slightly faster than intended for the non MP bits - oops!

Go Faster haircut this afternoon image

• Thank Kate but I'm all sorted. I will very much look like a tramp, but I'll be toasty image
  • Ok, massive red alert issue!!!! Argh! how did i not think about this sooner?!?!

They're not going to let the horses on the plane!?!?!?!!?

Seriously though, do they give out pacebands at the expo? Not sure i have the time or sanity to make one now... I've seen them at races over here before. Ooh, what about the timing chips, do they give you a thingy to attach them to your shoe? Like a bread tie or cable tie or something? They looked at me funny when i asked this down in Tassie, but I've always been given something at all my races around Melbourne??

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jus T, the chip is embedded in the bib. No need to fiddle with your shoes or lift your foot at the Finish.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

JT - you won't get a pace band but your timing chip will be embedded in your race number - just make sure it's not buried under 17 layers of woolly jumper as you cross the line or it'll not record your time.

Ward - it's obligatory to look like a tramp.  I shall be sporting this season's Allotment Trackies...

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

After 2 weeks off with the virus from hell and deciding on Wednesday that I was not going, I can confirm that I have changed my mind and I will be there.

Not sure that I a really chasing a time anymore but its about turning up on the day and doing ones best.

I managed to get a 7 mile run in on Friday and 10 miles yesterday with a couple of miles at MP. A few more short interval runs this week and I am hoping that I will have knocked that sluggish feeling out of me.

I will be at the Expo on Saturday afernoon and staying not far off the Champs de Elysee.

Should see you all at the Arc on Sunday am. Would you recommend dropping the bags off first ?

DV - for the list my running number is 20737 and I am currently in the blue pen. Not sure why I chose that pen asI was never going to be able to run that fast and now I am hoping to sneak under 3:45 but it will depend on how my body reacts to teh illness and running 26.2 miles. Might move down a pen at the expo on Saturday.

Is there room for one more at pasta papas place on the Saturday ? if not no worries.

This has got to be one of the most fast moving threads on the forum and it is always good for a laugh. Really helped me through teh last two weeks which were not my finest. Thanks a lot everyone.

• Success!

After 2 hours sitting in sun, in my shorts,my legs have turned from milk white to, um, cream white.
  • Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3231 Small Hands
    4321 dhale750
    4648 Neil Belgium
    4951 Stan Trinket
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    15444 Richard Langton 3
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD
    37685 Trevor Olver
    50009 Jimbob
    52997 Jimbob's mate Dan

Purple
    14555 Jus T
    27547 NCane2
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28563 Goldeagle
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3
    32645 Larri
    32736 Rick James
    33012 Nead G
    42380 Running Rodent

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39064 Daddsy
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    41747 Scott Walker
    42561 ATM
    42579 PC91
    43795 NGUG
    46570 Alexander

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    51653 Sarah Buchanan Smith 3
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    30831 Radar Sal
    58012 Audrey Brown
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus
    63573 Onetit

• I only went to walk the horse and a whole page when I get back...........Settle doon plz!!!image

I am officially packed apart from last minute things like hairdryer etc. And both children have packed too...........now how many times will I redo it all.image

• I have been through the thread and have, I think, accounted for all the changes, names. numbers, pens etc....    if anyone wants anything else changed, please let me know.

• Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3231 Small Hands
    4321 dhale750
    4648 Neil Belgium
    4951 Stan Trinket
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    15444 Richard Langton 3
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD
    20737 Carl D
    37685 Trevor Olver
    50009 Jimbob
    52997 Jimbob's mate Dan

Purple
    14555 Jus T
    27547 NCane2
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28563 Goldeagle
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3
    32645 Larri
    32736 Rick James
    33012 Nead G
    42380 Running Rodent

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39064 Daddsy
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    41747 Scott Walker
    42561 ATM
    42579 PC91
    43795 NGUG
    46570 Alexander

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    51653 Sarah Buchanan Smith 3
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    30831 Radar Sal
    58012 Audrey Brown
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus
    63573 Onetit

• It's sodding snowing again !

I knew I should have gone running when I woke up at 8
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Jus T - they do print pace bands at the expo but only in for the speed of the pen ie the pink pace and will be at 4:30 pace. The grey will be 4:15. If your pace is anything different ie 4:25 pace etc, then you'd be better off making your own.

The pace bands were given out in the next set of desks after number pickup.
  • Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    For all you people panicking and worrying about your preparation for the race. It's absolutely normal part of Taper Madness. You can never have a marathon race fully under control. There's so many variables and for every person trying to perform their best in the event, you are right at the outer edges of your performance capabilities so nothing is guaranteed.

If it was, it wouldn't be the challenge it is and we'd all be completely satisfied running 5K races.

Please don't worry. Enjoy the experience. Exercise your chimps then let your human take over. Very specifically, there's a big crowd of us going to be there from the thread, so don't worry about being on your own, not supported etc. I don't really know what hosing down is MM but we are there for you and you will do it. And you can hold DVs hand all the way round and keep him safeimage

Ok am off to go for a boat ride in some caves with visiting family. I'm in full on tourist mode! Happy April my running fool buddies!

Hmmm. To me, "hosing down" is akin to "calming down" - like what you do to a fire, you "hose it down" to put it out...Urban Dictionary however says it's "To shoot somebody with a gun; shooting in such a manner that the target is either dead as a doorknob or unable to walk away."

Will never use the expression again!

• Except to reply to DLR...Actually, on second thoughts, I can only come up with totally unladylike response.

• Can't remember who asked but yes I'd recommend dropping off your bag before the Arc meet up - the later you go, the busier it gets.

Dress rehearsal done in 5 degree temp and brisk wind. Same session as YM - MP felt fine with the wind behind me but once I turned back into the headwind it became more challenging. If it's windy in the day I'll need to find a bulky rugby-player type and run along behind him. Definitely going for long sleeves - Onetit, I don't think it's sweaty elbows you need to worry about, so much as elbow icicles.

YM - Dannir will be along in a moment suggest a reason why you might be feeling sick all the time...
  • Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Mr Maus is 25,000 km away, uncontactable and unable to hose me down.image

Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Probably! I'll add it to my (ever-lengthening) list of 'things people in the UK/British Isles won't understand when you say them'...image

In all seriousness Maus it's a minefield.  If you need any advice on phrases to avoid or swap with I'm always happy to help.  I'm quite well versed in the Ocker language.image

I know what you mean by 'hose me down'.  There is a similar expression in the British vernacular that derives from the anglo-saxon tenet that having riches rained upon you would take away all your worries.  

So, if in polite society the expression to use would be "I wish my husband wasn't 25,000km away, as I really could do with a golden shower".

Just trust me on these things.  You won't go far wrong.

Now that one I do know! DLR you are a very naughty boy.

Simon MacDoughnut wrote (see)
    Today' nugget:

'It's important to know how to hold your horses before the 32nd kilometre'

I read this as "hold your hoses"!image

• Maus...   stick with me and others at the back..    we'll have some fun and still get you around in under 5 hours..   it might be 4:59, but you'll have a new PB starting with a 4...  image

TD..   is Pasta Papa's confirmed..?   How many are booked in for it..?   What's the arrangement for payment..?   A million credit cards or cash only..?

ATM/TD..   for the benefit of the new people, can you re-post the links to the restaurant and pub, also with any helpful directions or metro station tips etc...

Friday Expo meet..   there should hopefully be quite a group of us at the Expo on Friday... 

Marathon Haircut..     don't forget!

Horses...   errmm....???

Packing..   I am rubbish at packing and will generally pack about 30 minutes before I'm due to leave...!