London Marathon 2013 - Runners & Supporters

Comments

• I'm a lucky ballot entrant - if you count this was my 8th application in 9 years since I last did it. :S

• Mark, I'd suggest they do get the tube - or the DLR rather, from Tower Gateway to Westferry as soon as they see you at Tower Bridge. Then they will be able to see you at 14/15 miles and/or ~20miles before either getting a cab back or getting back on the DLR. All DLR trains leaving Tower Gateway stop at Westferry so chances of mistakes are low. 

• mark wadsworth 2 wrote (see)

Hi all, I'm doing the London marathon for charadeeee in a few weeks and for the
    first time I have family coming to watch, this is rare as they work weekends but
    have booked this off ages ago.

Its a special occasion with grandparents coming so just
    want to make it a great day for them.

Be aware that it is REALLY hard for them to spot you amongst the thousands of people runnning, and REALLY hard for you to spot them.  I have run past an entire charity cheering point that I was looking out for, without noticing it, because I was so zoned out. You need a very distinctive outfit, and you need to know exactly where they are, including which side of the road, because you can't really look at everyone in the crowd as you run.

• Guys, I have had to defer due to illness, may be at mudchute instead will need to see how i am on the day.

• SuperCaz wrote (see)

LB is winding you all up, and quite sucessfully by the look of itimage

Blue start is ballot and club places.  The front of the pack will be fast but the back of the pack will include some runners aiming for 5-6 hours.

Bloody spoilsport! image

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I also need to defer as i was knocked off my bike by a blummin dog 2 weeks ago and I still can't run properly. Gutted as i was (relatively) flying. Arghh....

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the deferees.  CP, you had better be at Mudchute.  Its been ages since I saw you and I need a hug image

Pip, how bad is the injury and were you aiming for a time?  If you've put the training in so far then it is still possible for you to finish the marathon as long as you are fit to run, but I understand if you were aiming for a PB attempt and would prefer to defer than get a crap time.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I got a place in Edinburgh at the end of May so I get an extra 5 weeks. I am aiming for that now and hoping I can do VLM next year.  Hopefully...

If I didnt have a little girl, I would come down and support/help but I only have so many times I can ask my OH to look after her whilst I train.  I will defo come one year as I believe in putting back.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Super Caz you forgot us fast for age peeps at the front of the red startimage

Sorry to read about the peeps who won't make the start line image
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Cocoa Pop - do come along to Mudchute, it'll be great to see you again.
  • Morning all, I'm running Brighton Marathon the weekend prior to London. I'd love to go onto the Mudchute cheer team. Am I too late to be added to the list?

I live in Blackheath, so would like to see the start, then head down to Mudchute.
  • Runner

Chicken123

As always I seem to be last! Sorry
  • Just popping down to the Canaries first to top up my tan image

And then I'll be right with ya!

• Hi all - I seem to have dropped off the supporters list - can some kind person put me back?

Also - I still have the helium tank from last year - it's been sitting at the back of my cupboard and I kind of forgot about it. It may be empty, but I think there might have been a bit left. But probably more importantly I've also got the regulator thingy that goes on top of it, so if we were to get another tank this year, we wouldn't need another one of those as well.
  • Right then peeps - standd by. I'm just about to sort out the Groups and then get the threads started image

Can you all make sure you have your messaging enabled as that's how I'll let you know which group you're in whether running or supporting, as well as posting up a list on here.

Thankingyouverymuch image

• *pulls up a chair and waits patiently* 

• Right - groups and runners as follows, it'll take me a while to get the threads set up so bear with me please.

We have 5 support groups this year - supporters are as follows:

Group 1 - SuperCaz, XFR Bear, katb & Tommygun
    Group 2 - KateF, Claire Hardman, LouiseG & Running Rodent
    Group 3 - Womble, BBH, Maddy & Mrs Ziggy the Spider
    Group 4 - Sweetest Thing, Liverbird, Beck01 & GCE
    Group 5 - SBH, VikW, John Close 3 & Mrs Warkie

Runners split as follows:

Group 1:
    Cake
    Happychap
    Chicken 123
    Alki & Mr Alki
    Holymoly
    Literatin
    millsy1977
    Night Nurse
    Pottermiss
    Prawnie & Mr Prawnie

Group 2:
    Camberwell
    Dave Wood 4 & Dan Wood
    gizmo83
    Hopetofinish
    mark1981
    Mr Puffy
    No Pain
    Rattler Rattler
    Sofaboy
    Camlo
    liberty 6201

Group 3:
    MikeFrog
    Ziggy the Spider
    Wickett
    Cooper 16
    Georginagem
    Lady Wot Jogs
    Nick Wicks 2
    PipG
    RFJ
    Tortoise Wins

Group 4:
    kittenkat
    Lee the Pea
    Vixx76
    Helen McFarlane 2
    khanivore
    15 West
    Go Caz
    K Dawg
    wiggly worm
    bradders 13754

Group 5:
    Warkie
    mattoo
    Loon
    Rosemary Close 4
    Straycelt
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah!
    USB
    Nykie
    Slimfast
    Two Stroke Tart
    Eckytump

• I knowimage

Right - threads are up - go and play nicely please. 

I'm off to find the list of requirements and needs that I'll put in here - that's the list of stuff we have to have supporters commit to bringing along or picking up from the Expo.

I need to reiterate now - whereas in previous years I've been able to do three or four Expo collections due to working in London and living close, now that I live and work in Dover I will not be able to do that - it really does need to be all hands on deck this year to make this the success it usually is image

• Here we go:

STUFF WE NEED

If anyone is able to help out with some of the things we need please cut and paste the following list and add your name and relevant details.
     Items can be brought straight to mudchute (if youre a supporter) or dropped at the Runners World stand at the VLM Expo.

Jelly Babies, Banana's, Oranges, Jaffa Cakes etc we give out an enormous amount of these to all runners (can be left at RW Expo stand for collection by supporters) - we need lots and lots of these or if you want then leave a small donation of MONEY at the RW stand and we will buy supplies on the day.

LAST YEAR DUE TO THE SMALL NUMBER OF SUPPORTERS WE ASKED PEOPLE TO LEAVE FINANCIAL DONATIONS TOWARDS JELLY BABIES ETC INSTEAD OF LEAVING BAGS OF THEM SINCE THEY'RE REALLY HEAVY - THIS MAY BE THE WAY TO GO AGAIN THIS YEAR SINCE WE HAVE A BIG ASDA JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM WHERE WE WILL BE.

Jelly Babies and Jaffa Cakes etc (everyone, to be dropped off at RW expo stand or brought along to the support point)

Balloons

(100 dark blue, 100 light blue, 100 yellow)

RW Banners - I have these already so don't fret. I'll be passing them on this year tho.

Helium - I'll tap up our sources - or get LB to - againimage

100's small plastic bags

Support team signs (to be designed and made by each support team)

Someone assertive x 2 to reserve support position from 8.00am
    SBH & VikW (once I've told her about it - and it'll need to be earlier than 8am) more the merrier.

First aid kit

Large Balls of String x 2

Scissors x 2

Sharp knife x 2

Swiss Army Knife 

Paper plates

Camera/camera person, losts of space on card - SBH will bring one, but we need a few.

Binliners 

2 large rolls gaffer tape 

12 x 6ft long bamboo poles (for signs)

Supporter to visit expo to collect items (inc banners) and bring to Mudchute (there was loads of stuff left for collection last year so the more people that can collect things the better)

Thursday collection - 
    Friday collection - 
    Saturday am collection -
    Saturday pm collection -
    Saturday closing collection -

More than one person per collection is most welcome - you won't be short of stuff to collect. 

THIS IS A COMBINED EFFORT - WE NEED PEOPLE FROM ALL SUPPORT GROUPS TO PICK UP STUFF, ESPECIALLY FROM THEIR OWN RUNNERS. 

I'll bring a donation for jelly babies/jaffa cakes etc - or I can just get them for you if you like?

• I will bring a donation too if it's easier.

• Owing to my iDevice not cooperating once again (granted, it could be user incompetence image) could someone add my name to the requirements list for being at mudchute full of assertiveness pre-8am and doing a collection from the expo on Friday lunch time ish.

I'll also bring some first aid supplies as it's normally me that ends up needing them s-)

Can we add cable ties to the list too (for attaching the banners to the barriers)
  • Hi guys, sorry not been about too much not going to bore you all with everything, anyway starting new job tomorrow image so onwards and upwards.

SBH - will have good read through and post on here what I'll bring. I'm not assertive so won't volunteer for that oneimage I'm only going to be getting to London Saturday pm but if manage to get to Expo I will go see if anything to collect.

Hope everyone's training is going well, must be taper time! Enjoy this bit I thought was best bit of training. image
  • Hiya, I can't get to expo until Saturday , I can bring bananas and bags or is this too late ? Would you prefer a donation? I'm new to this so apologies for being a bit dim!!
  • I daren't mess with the list but I can do Thursday and Friday pickups from the Expo (I have to collect a number for someone anyway) but I can't do Saturday.

Liberty - bananas are a bit dodgy to transport so if you want any, I'd let your support team know and they can get you some from Asda.
  • Actually, I've just looked and I AM your support team, so I'll make sure there's a banana there for you if that's what you want image .
  • I can't get to expo at all. I'm getting to London too late on Saturday. But I'll see what I can bring. Is the first aid kit for when SBH has cut herself with that knife? image