Cycling instead of running

Hi, I am running the London Marathon for the first time in 3 weeks (eek) and have picked up what seems to be an IT Band injury. Did my final long run on Sunday and my knee is pretty sore. Although I am now tapering I still have to train almost every day so is it ok to replace running with cycling to maintain fitness? Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate my knee and I don't really want to rest completely and undo all of the good irk over the past 18 weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Works well enough. I ran a sub 3 at London off mainly cycling endurance. The longest runs in the 6 months leading up the race were 19, 16, 16 & 13 miles.

Only thing cycling doesn't do is stimulate your feet and ankles.

🙂

• Ric - Ok thanks that's good to know.

David - I am not a fan of swimming so would much prefer cycling if it doesn't aggravate my knee.

I am going to cycle tomorrow and see how it is, my knee is certainly better but still sore. Very annoying time to pick up an IT Band injury! I have just ordered a foam roller and some K tape, so hopefully this all combined gets me to the start line fit.
  • Blimey I'm not doing enough cycling - even Chris Boardman didn't go sub 3.