Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Comments

• Thanks Steve, that's a big weekend of mile. You must have been desperate to get out and run after not being able to for a while with the work commitments.

On it already Ruth! Have all food sorted except the bread and bananas!

Sorry to hear the hamstrings flared up again AndyV, hope it sorts itself out with the treatment and stretching.

• Hi Alex, thought I'd delurk and congratulate you on some pretty impressive training. I am sure you must be feeling pretty excited about Paris at the weekend and hopefully the desired time. Wish I could even run that fast for a fraction of the distance!

Best of luck- you deserve it.

• Hi Clive -

Getting very excited now, can't quite believe its the week of the race! Its come around so quickly and the time since first bootcamp has absolutely flew by! I'm also a little nervous too, that's something you expect with any big race, but its normally just me I have to report back too!

I think I can go into the race with confidence though as my preparation has been good and my races have gone well, just a few more days to stay healthy and injury free and we will see what the day brings!

4 runs to go, that reminds me!

• This weeks plan!  

Apr 1: rest
    Apr 2: 16 x 200 in approx 40 with 60 secs jog - total 4M
    Apr 3: 4M slow run at 7 min 30 miles 
    Apr 4: 3M easy and strides
    Apr 5: rest
    Apr 6: 2M jog with strides
    Apr 7: Marathon

week total: 39M

• Sounds like the massage came at just the right time. well done for sorting it and great to feel your body is in fab shape for your easy run in.

• Hi AW

You've got every reason to be confident and relaxed.

I've clocked up 40 miles in the last 3 days but felt slow and rusty after a week focussed on cycling.  Was a hard week of 600 hilly miles so hopefully! it has built some useful endurance for running as well as massively helping my cycling.  

When do you go out to Paris?  Friday?

• Lots and lots of cycling miles Nutterman! It must give a good boost to your aerobic conditioning.

Yes we leave on Friday, not sure exactly when, I need to check. I think we go straight to the expo to pick up numbers etc. So close now!

• Quick tip for the expo AW, when we arrived there a couple of years ago there was a huge, slow moving queue strecthing to about 500m outside of people waiting to pick their numbers up but if you just wanted to get into the expo you could walk straight in.

When my girlfriend went in ahead of us she phoned to say most of the people handing out numbers were stood around doing nothing.

We simply went in as if we were not picking up our numbers but once we were in there you could just nip across to your letter of the alphabet to pick it up.

Not a very British way of doing things I know but certainly saved a good hour stood around in the queue. That's unless Runners World can get you some VIP treatment of course!
  • Good tip Tim, will keep that in mind! Think we will be there quite late on Friday so not sure how busy it will be? I also have to find the information desk to sort out my start area change, not sure if I need to do this before or after getting my number?
  • Last year, I picked up my number on Friday evening and it was fine. I think you should try to avoid Saturday. Make sure you have your convocation, medical certificate and your passport with you.

I am getting my number on Thursday.
  • Tim Lewis 7 wrote (see)
    We simply went in as if we were not picking up our numbers but once we were in there you could just nip across to your letter of the alphabet to pick it up.
    Not a very British way of doing things

Definitely not British way to do things! I could do it but I am French.  Saying that, it might be a bit more difficult this year. I understand that you need to show your medical certificate at a desk and then pick up your number from another one. So you might not be able to just sneak in and out to get your number.

• Right... This is probably the last chance I'll get to wish you AW all the luck in the world. You are primed and ready for a great race!

All the hard work will inevitably pay off and the last 10K will feel great as the realisation of what tyou'll be about to do will give you strength!

I still got just under 3 weeks to go and feel great about my prospects. Completed a 22 mile run on Sunday with the last 12.5 miles @ 6.40 pace and I felt great. The average pace included 3-4 miles with a considerable incline and a nasty head wind which forced me to slow down but kept the effort.

I can't wait to hear how you got on. Good luck!!

• Hello Alex, have been keeping an eye on your progress but haven't been on here that often. It is good to see that you have hit all your targets and got that half PB out of the way. I managed to do the same this year. Three races, three big PB's and Taunton to come on Sunday.
    I eagerly await your result on Sunday and wish you the best of luck, all the hard work is done so all that's left is for you to spank Paris with a sub 3hr run!

• Thanks for the info Denis!

Hi Yasunaga, great long run. Really good sign that it felt so good with over half at MP! You look in fine form with 3 weeks left. Just wrap up in cotton wool and get to the start healthy! Thanks for supporting on the thread and be sure to report back after you run your marathon. I will of course be reporting after Sunday whatever happens!

Hi Jimmers, glad to hear you've been running well, congrats on all your PB's. Best of luck on Sunday, I'm sure you'll smash it!
  • Question for Steve. How long after the marathon do you recommend I wait before putting in some 10k specific training sessions? 12 to 15 days enough?
    I got a 10K 5 weeks after the marathon and I though it'd be able to use my form to do well but I was wondering if I could throw in some shorter reps and hills sessions to gain a bit of speed to go with my acquired endurance.

• Final session of speed done and dusted!

16 x 200m with 60 second jog recoveries, which felt really good and pretty comfortable. The run was meant to be 4 miles but with a mile warm up and only half a mile cool down it still ended up at 5 miles. I kept it quite restrained for all but the last rep which I gave a bit of wellie!

Here are the splits - 

1. 39
    2. 38
    3. 39
    4. 36
    5. 38
    6. 37
    7. 39
    8. 37
    9. 38
    10. 37
    11. 36
    12. 41
    13. 39
    14. 37
    15. 37
    16. 33

All easy runs from here through to Sunday. Exciting!

• Like the last 200m split! Enjoy the easy runs.
  • Nice 200m reps AW - fast but controlled. Not sure how long you are on here for before Sunday? So best of luck to you in Paris, an amazing city and marathon course. Enjoy the day and trust in all that consistent training you have done. Best of luck to you, I'm sure sub 3 is well within your grasp.
  • AW, Just popping by to wish you good luck and the wind at your back.  One last bit of advice that served me well last year..."enjoy yourself" if you remember that the rest has already been done with your training.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Good luck AW ! You've earnt it.

• AW - just wanted to join the chorus of well-wishers for your assault on Paris. It has been great seeing you so visibly progress and I am in no doubt that you'll easily get what you want from the race. Also wanted to thank you for sharing your training programme; it has made planning my own training that much easier and scientific, which I hope will yield results at London in a couple of weeks. Be sure to come on and let us know how you do.

• Hey AW,

Getting so close now... how are you feeling about it all? Must be quite a mix of excitement and nerves...

Can't wait to see everyone on Friday and it's going to be a great weekend. It is going to be a genuine pleasure to see you guys go out there and I'm certain that you'll hit your target (and probably more).

You've got an amazing talent and you've worked so hard over the last sixteen weeks so you fully deserve, and I'm sure you will, have a great race.

For me, I'm looking forward to what will be a genuinely new experience... seeing you running from the front! I'm so used to seeing you disappear effortlessly off into the distance that this is going to be a rare treat for meimage

See you Friday!

• Thanks KR, I keep telling myself that the training has gone well and I've been consistent - trying to be nice and positive!

Hi Choisty - I can't wait for Friday to get here now so I can get on my way, the nerves and excitement already here, but when I'm on my way I think it will really kick in.

Thanks PC91!

Glad the training schedule has helped barnettito14, thats been the great thing about this whole process, its not just about us 5 running Paris, its about everyone on here and helping everyone progress. Steve, Sam, Sarah and Ruth have all been on hand to help anyone who has questions on the threads, they've been fantastic.

• Hi Steve,

Its getting very close indeed and I can't wait to get over there and get racing. Your right its a funny old mix of nerves and excitment, and of course dissapointment that your not going to be at the start line with us.

But you've made the right decision and being able to run another day is much more important than just getting through Paris with pain and discomfort you would have had to endure.

There's always another race!

See you Friday!

• Yasunaga wrote (see)

Question for Steve. How long after the marathon do you recommend I wait before putting in some 10k specific training sessions? 12 to 15 days enough?
    I got a 10K 5 weeks after the marathon and I though it'd be able to use my form to do well but I was wondering if I could throw in some shorter reps and hills sessions to gain a bit of speed to go with my acquired endurance.

I was thinking about the same thing (using my marathon training to do shorter distances). Which 10k are you doing? I am looking for a fast 10k to do in May.

• Hey A.W.

Good luck for Sunday though I don't think you'll need it. Judging by your training you'll easily smash it. I remember talking to you at boot camp about getting under 3 hours. I'll be there on Sunday but don't think I'll be dipping under the magic 3 hour mark. My training hasn't been as disciplined as yours! Anyway enjoy Paris and it has been fun following your journey since December.

I think I'll be concentrating on shorter distance like Denis and Yasunga after this weekend and look forward to Steve's reply.... 

• Good last session AW -weather looks good for Paris.

re post marathon. It varies probably depending on how the marathon goes and your age. If you have a strong marathon and feel great in last six, then it may be possible to resume training in 2 weeks after the marathon.

But you need to start the faster running fairly gently and initially probably avoid the longer endurance sessions ie 5 x a mile type sessions. 400s/800s may be better but only run them at 10k pace at first. With the strength from the marathon, it may be possible to do a good 10k off four weeks more specific training and sharpening, so about 6 weeks after the marathon. 

If you have a very bad last six and the legs suffer then it could be a month before you can really do some quality training and you are looking more towards June.

in my younger days, I seemed to recover quickly and about a decade ago, I had one of my best National cross-country's 6 days after a Marathon but in more recent years I've picked up injuries trying to do faster running 2-3 weeks after the marathon to prepare for shorter races such as road relays.

Paula Radcliffe ran her fastest 3k, 5k, 10k after doing her first marathon but worth noting her first race came three months after her marathon.

• Really looking forward to reading your report AW, I hope you have internet access out there!

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Joining a long list of well wishers here but go for it AW. Your training has gone brilliantly and hope you record a monster PB on Sunday. 

• Run Tribal Run wrote (see)

Hey A.W.

Good luck for Sunday though I don't think you'll need it. Judging by your training you'll easily smash it. I remember talking to you at boot camp about getting under 3 hours. I'll be there on Sunday but don't think I'll be dipping under the magic 3 hour mark. My training hasn't been as disciplined as yours! Anyway enjoy Paris and it has been fun following your journey since December.

I think I'll be concentrating on shorter distance like Denis and Yasunga after this weekend and look forward to Steve's reply.... 

Thank you for the good luck wishes. Best of luck to you too for Sunday, it looks like the weather will be good!