VLM runners, what distance are your next 2 long Sunday runs?

Just curious as to what others are doing for their last 2 big runs. I did 21 Sunday so was planning 18 this Sunday then 12 week before, what you lot doing?

Comments

• What does your plan say ? It's irrelevant what others are doing ?

I'm looking for about 15 this weekend and then an easier 10 or so the week after that - but that might not suit others.
  • You should not run more miles than the days you have got left until the Marathon.

15 this Saturday and 8 the following.

but each to thier own and good luck!

• 18 seems alot! I am doing 12/13 and 8... I think Rest is the most important thing at this stage. 

• Half marathon this week around 6 miles next

but it's how you feel yourself, this year due to injury I've onlyt managed one 20 mile run usually I have at least 2 ... but like cougie says what others do is irrelevant , it's how you feel yourself, not matter what you'll get round depends on your goals, mine is just to finish this year. Good Luck.

Preferences § 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace   Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ]   Return     capslock a s d f g h j k l ; '   shift ` z x c v b n m , . / shift     English     Deutsch   Español   Français   Italiano   Português   ??????????????   alt   alt     Preferences
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    CockneyScouser wrote (see)

You should not run more miles than the days you have got left until the Marathon.

I'd take that as a rough rule of thumb at best, but it really depends on the individual. A 12 mile run won't be the same thing to a 5 hour marathon runner as it is to a 2:30 runner.

Probably something like 15 and 10 for me, with the final 10 miler including a reccy of the first 6/7 miles of the course. Helps if you live next door to the start line.

• PhilPub wrote (see

Probably something like 15 and 10 for me, with the final 10 miler including a reccy of the first 6/7 miles of the course. Helps if you live next door to the start line.

You'll be running those in the middle of the road, just like race day, obviously.  With a mate standing at the side shouting "speed bump" and "you're nearly there" at the 2 mile mark.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

...high-fiving random children in Woolwich and nicking their jelly babies.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Bugger, yet another rule of thumb that I fail by. Don't know yet what I will run at the weekends. Depends on what I do during the week, and how I'm feeling on the day. Planning is not my forte, and I'm really not bothered by what everyone else is doing.

• Also-ran- Thumbs up from me, too many people are slaves to these so called plans or are worried by what other people are doing.IMO you just need to go with what the body is feeling, Plans are guides not bibles.

• 18.5 next Sunday, 14 the week after for me.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

17 next Sunday and 13 the week after.  I'm going to find a really busy train to sit in for about 15 minutes before each of them just to get myself in the moodimage

• I'm in for 20 this weekend followed by 14 the week after it worked last year and I feel good on it this year.  Just for the record neither of my thumbs have rules, they are both anarchists

• What time u looking for Choisty?

• anything under 2:40, but would accept sub 2:45, how about you?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Paddock Wood Half @ MP + 5 miles afterwards this Sunday, then 75 mins easy the following Sunday (about 11 miles) for me. Loving the downward curve towards VLM
  • 18 miles for me this Sunday , with a few in the middle at PMP, then 12 or so the following Sunday.....then pray !

• oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭

18 miles for me too. I guess it depends on what training programme you are following and how that's gone. It may not matter what other people are doing but its interesting hearing other peoples thoughts. I guess that's why we all read this forum.

• Marathon tomorrow image then 'wotever' until VLM! P and D training plan just gone out of the window!image

• Progression 10 on Sunday, just 7 next week I think! 

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Few places left for the Combe Gibbet to Overton 16, ideal last run before London.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

2 hours on Sunday, then 1 hour 20 next Sunday

Would do the Combe Gibbet run but am on nights at present....

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    oldscotia wrote (see)

It may not matter what other people are doing but its interesting hearing other peoples thoughts. I guess that's why we all read this forum.

I can't see how this is interesting or useful unless you can put that one session into some kind of context, or to get a full picture of the taper. Without it you get a lot of different numbers which mean little or nothing.

You said it - with the thoughts and background of the runner it's useful, otherwise it's a room full of people shouting out random numbers.

If it helps, for my last 3 marathons, one week out the Sunday run was 10, 0, and 26.2.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Shame RFJ, would be good to see you on the Gibbet, going to be a good one. Didn't know you were doing London - Good Luck.

• Also-ran wrote (see)
    oldscotia wrote (see)

It may not matter what other people are doing but its interesting hearing other peoples thoughts. I guess that's why we all read this forum.

I can't see how this is interesting or useful unless you can put that one session into some kind of context, or to get a full picture of the taper. Without it you get a lot of different numbers which mean little or nothing.

You said it - with the thoughts and background of the runner it's useful, otherwise it's a room full of people shouting out random numbers.

If it helps, for my last 3 marathons, one week out the Sunday run was 10, 0, and 26.2.

I don't imagine that everyone has your experience and/or confidence in their training, so they just want a general idea that they are doing roughly the same as most others.

As for interesting, I think your three runs the weeks before are very interesting.

Matt 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Interesting Matt that you found those 3 numbers interesting, but not interesting enough to know why - so the numbers remain meaningless. Interesting yes, meaningful, no.

Thats why the context is useful. If someone runs 20, and 15 as the two last runs, what is the novice to think - I should do that?The person doing the 20, and 15 may be a novice/crazy guy image , and the guy who is highly experienced, who has been running 100 mpw for weeks on end, may be doing 10, and 10. I'd also want to know about volume / quality through the taper.

If you are running to a plan, its got you to here, and now is the time to maintain confidence in it. Starting to dig around to find out about specific sessions is going to start undermining the confidence of some - particularly the inexerienced

I'm very inexperienced in tapering. The most interesting thing I've seen recently was PhilPubs taper for the last two weeks - some one at the sharp end. For myself, I don't run to a set plan, and I really wouln't have any confidence in others using my numbers. Just look at my first three attempts last year!!
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    I also think you are better off joining one of the marathon threads which is target based, or plan based and share approaches / plans / stats that way. It is for me, the most useful and supportive part of the forum. Maybe useful for the next one ...
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The other thing to be careful about is people lying.  image I toned down my planned 15 (or whatever I said I was going to do) and just did 11 today, with 6 @ MP (bit slower actually, was keeping someone else company on their MP run).  Still haven't decided between red or yellow socks.