New baby - advice needed .

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice or opinions. New arrival in late Feb. has meant I have gone from 50 miles a week to about 10-15 miles a week with no structure to training. 

Am torn between sticking to two quality sessions a week and continue racing or to write this season off, maintain base fitness and get back into a structured training for this autumn/winter cross country season with the aim of being ready for road racing season next year.

Anybody's experiences, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks image

Gavin.

Comments

• There are things in life which are more important than running. Take some time off structured running & enjoy quality time with your baby.

Keep some running going to keep your body and mind healthy. In a few months time invest in a baby jogger, that way you can give your other half a break, and still get a run in.

For me, I just had to accept that it wasn't fair for me to try to selfishly push on with my running, and I just had to accept that I wasn't going to perform to my potential for a while. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy some running, or indeed even race - you'll just be slower off less training, but you can still have a lot of fun chasing the person in front and trying to get away from the person behind!

• congratulations Gavin.

My missus is expecting our first in Nov, early days yet so fingers crossed everything will go well. As well as the obvious emotions of excitement and terror, I've thought about how I might carry on running during the first 6-12 months when the baby is brand new. Marathon training is almost certainly out (i've been warned off a spring 2014 mara by the missus) as disappearing off for 3 hours at the weekend won't really cut it. Well done to those guys who can carry on uninterrupted with a small baby, but my missus already views my running as a minor indulgence as it is, so she won't be prepared for me to ditch her and junior for long stretches.

Best case scenario for me is that I'll be able to make lunchtime runs a regular fixture, so it doesn't eat into family time. I'll try to run 3-4 times per week but they'll obviously be shorter runs, perhaps more intense, but all this depends on how much sleep i'm getting, as I know the last thing i'll want to do if i've had a few nights on 4 hours kip is a threshold run at lunch.

If you have showers at work, and if your work is amenable to it, and if you're well enough rested, perhaps you could nip out for some runs at lunchtime, or jog some of the distance into work of a morning, depending on the logistics of your commute.

Like claret says, there are more important things, but it doesn't mean you have to be sedentary until your child goes to college, just find a balance that takes into account spending time with your new biggest fan image

• Gavin, for the first few months at least, I'd abandon any planned training and just get out for a quick run if you have a chance. I have a fourteen month old son and to be honest, I sometimes find getting out for a run is a great way to get some peace and quiet! Why not suggest, once everything settles down, that your partner get some regular time to herself for a swim or sauna or shopping or whatever she wants, while you look after the baby. That way, you shouldn't feel so guilty about abandoning them. Also, if (touch wood) you get a good sleeper (we didn't), you could get out once the baby's in bed for the night, now that the evening light lasts longer, or go out really early in the morning.

I guess it really comes down to how understanding your partner is. Luckily, my wife is happy for me to run as she knows it relaxes me and makes me (slightly) less of a grouch when I am there. I also feel like I have more energy if I'm running regularly, and if there's one thing you need for looking after a baby, it's energy!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

congrats gavin, just try and run when you can. but even in the early months you may find you are needed around the house to do nothing. such as just being there if the baby wakes so your other half can continue getting sleep

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Hi Gavin

I agree with many of the comments above.  5, 10, 15 years down the line, will you say to yourself-- I should have done more running when X was little? Or might it be better to create great memories of spending time with baby in these precious early years, and have those?  These early years fly by so quickly.  I know which set of memories I'd go for.  There's no reason why you can't do a bit of running, but your top priority in these exhausting, utterly rewarding early years should be spending time with him / her and trying not to miss too much. In my opinion. Plus it will be much better for your relationship. I am assuming you are still fairly young and you will have time in the future to compete / focus on improving your running. For now, spend as much time as possible with the family. Don't have a plan re- your running, just try to fit it in as and when family life allows.  Baby is still very new and very unpredictable in terms of his / her needs and those of your partner.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I think it depends on lots of things.  If the baby is an easy baby and gets in a routine/sleeps well fairly quickly, then it will probably be quite easy to train well.  It also depends how well your OH copes, if you work stupid hours, if your OH has friends/support close by, is happy for you to train etc etc.

Play it by ear and try not to make a huge priority (hard, I know!)

• I think the volume might need to come down - but the quality could still be there. Just make sure you try to do a couple of decent sessions per week.

Babies are pretty boring anyway - so its good to get out.

They're far more fun when they're toddlers.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Firstly Congratulations!
    I agree with much of what has been said.
    Mine 11 & 15 now, but training slumped when they were born. As Nessie says, when you look back what will you say, "I'd rather have done that 10 miler" or "I wish I'd been there when he/she was little"
    Cougie hits the nail quite nicely too - the quality can still be good even if mileage not so, although I'd resist a marathon for a year or two. Anything up to a half you can achieve with little more than an hour's session (at a time)
    There will be plenty of time for more serious training and mileage as they get older. It depends in part too on your partner, but the unselfish thing to do is ease back and put running down the list of priorities.
    Good luck!

• this is a sweet thread ... i am liking the 'babies are boring' comment and 'brand new ' babies 

ahhhh, congrats btw, and keep up fitness levels with runs, but personally i'd concentrate on time at home and just maintaining fitness

the advice about sharing 'timeout' for your partner is very important , being new parents is exciting , rewarding etc but you need to support each other, and still have some time to spend doing what makes you happy  - when the balance is wrong and resent kicks in - makes for an unhappy atmosphere at home lol neither parent should have to stop taking part in hobbies/sports because the family expanded, as long as priorities are in good order 

they are only babies once , and they are lovely to cuddle  - but i agree with that they are more fun when they are older  - 

a jogger buggy is great idea for when they are bit bigger 

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

Congrats Gavin on becoming a Dad soon! I have to admit I have had a lot of similar thoughts lately and the advice given here is so good. We do not have kids yet but there is no harm thinking a bit ahead, I guess LOL.

Another thing I would perhaps try is if you have runner friends who also have small kids, maybe you could take turns looking after the small ones while the others are out running... This just needs a bit of organising. 

• I have a 2 year old and 10 month old, running takes a back seat I'm afraid but I find as an early riser I can do a long run saturday morning and be back in time to not miss too much.

Then club night is allowable, anything other than those 2 runs is a bonus but as they get older it is easier, the first few months with both were a right off though.

I have showers at work now though so I can run 6 days a week (5 worl days plus once at the weekend) if I like, most of those being at lunch time. Before I had the showers available though it was pot luck. Depends on how understanding your wife is and how much you want to do.

• For what its worth.

i got a 2 1/2 year old and an 8 week old. It took some tweeking but I have got there. I think running is important when baby is young because its usually the only time you get to yourself. But remember to return the favour with the Mrs image

I still run the same mileage but fit it in differently. I know run to work instead of driving. Thats 4 miles every day. 3 times a week I run on my lunch break roughly 5-6 miles. Then I get up before everybody else Saturday for a long slow run and usually home to make breakfast image

It's difficult but once routine kicks in I don't give it a second thought. If its your first kid it might be worth waiting until you get him/her into her own routine then you can slot things in around it. My little one goes to bed at 7pm wakes at 2am feed wakes at 6am. But is slowly starting to go a little longer. But again you get used to being tired quite quickly image