London Marathon my brother in law update

Hi guys and gals !! 

Some of you will remember me saying about my brother in law who got a place in the Marathon.  I told you he smokes 20 aday is 50 this year. and his training was only 2 runs months ago well he has now done 4 runs!! thinks he's just going to go and do it easy...

What do you think ?? He can run 6 miles but he's done it before i just this time he's being a bit stupid..

Comments

• He's not being a bit stupid, he's being a lot stupid....

Can he defer?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    April fools day was yesterday.
  • I wouldn't say he is being stupid. that level of 'training' is probably quite normal for what has become a novelty/box ticking event for many. i don't imagine arg from Towie or katie price did much more.

he could just walk round. he won't be last.

• I'm sure he'll get round at walking pace. I'm not sure that's much fun though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

DF, compared to Ash's brother your training is the most well thought out plan ever devised

• I did Loch Ness last year after 3 months out injured and less than 10 miles training beforehand, took me 5 hours, hurt like mad and it was my 7th Marathon in the year, so I had some training in the bank. I did it because stupidly I had paid for it and the accomodation and didn't want to waste the trip. It can be done but it proves very little other than how daft we can be at times, not advised!!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The one year I did the London Marathon I saw a bloke walking the course with a bunch of mates, having a chat and smoking a fag.

Just tell your b-in-l to walk it. He needn't even leave the ciggies at home, he'll still be classed as having "done" the marathon and get the gong to prove it.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

lol! high praise indeed!!

Yeah, Not one of my brighter ideas I might add 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the last time I did VLM I passed 2 guys at the 11 mile mark, one of them proudly saying to his mate "that's officially the furthest I have ever run now".

and that was just after I parted ways with Silent Assassin who had found out 5 weeks before the event that he had a place (no idea how he'd missed noticing it!) so he was sorely undertrained for it.  I'd done Brighton Marathon the week before so decided to accompany his bimble around the course but by Mile 9 I was in much better shape than him so I cracked on!

• unless you do a lot of walking then just to walk iot is going to give you a lot of pain..........so if in a sense will be just as hard as running it all......

not sure why peopel want to have all that pain..........but its a personal choice so if he has a place he can do what he wants with it........

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Let him do it - I did 7 Marathons (not many I know over a 11 year period) I trained for all of them (except the last one which I over-trained for - finished running marathons in 1998 with a pb of 2:41 - but they all had one thing in common - none of them were fun - they all hurt at some stage or other 9except the last one which was a struggle from mile 1 -

As others have said he won't be last he won't be alone so let him have his day out in London and take the same plaudits as the others - and lets face it he is more likely to appear on telly than any decent club runner coming in around 2-30 to 3 hours.

Good luck to him

• fat buddha wrote (see)

and that was just after I parted ways with Silent Assassin who had found out 5 weeks before the event that he had a place (no idea how he'd missed noticing it!) so he was sorely undertrained for it.

but even in those 5 weeks I did get 3 runs of 18 miles and your idea of lets have a bimble round was erm slightly different to mine, it was around 22 miles when the wheels came of proper.

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

and that was just after I parted ways with Silent Assassin who had found out 5 weeks before the event that he had a place (no idea how he'd missed noticing it!) so he was sorely undertrained for it.

but even in those 5 weeks I did get 3 runs of 18 miles and your idea of lets have a bimble round was erm slightly different to mine, it was around 22 miles when the wheels came of proper.

your moaning about lack of training was getting on my tits so I had to get a scooby on to get away from you....image

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

your moaning about lack of training was getting on my tits so I had to get a scooby on to get away from you....image

Yeah almost as much as you moaning about having done Brighton the week before image