Early morning runs - selfish?

I would like to run early in the morning so that I can spend the evening doing other things - including 'quality time' with my partner and kids.

I've managed it at the weekends at 7am ish (not v early I know) and enjoyed it - really gives me a lift for the rest of the day.

In the week, our alarm goes off at 6:30 and my partner leaves at 7:20 at which point I can't go out because I have the kids who are too young to be left alone.

Is it fair to set the alarm for 6 so I can squeeze in a run? Partner is a light sleeper so he WILL wake up. Not a morning person so he'll be grumpy too.

Very tempted but it feels pretty selfish and I don't want him to resent my running (motivation is difficult enough!)

What do my fellow runners think? Anyone in the same situation?

Nicola

Comments

• Just run - they'll get used to it.
  • I occasionally run early but only if I wake up naturally (which with a baby in the house is fairly common). Why not just do it if you happen to be awake, but don't set the alarm?

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Do it, you are only setting the alarm for 30 mins earlier.  He'll moan but get used to it and you'll be happier as you've been out for a run so will be extra nice to him!

• They'll get over it, or dump them
  • I do it all the time to my missus.  It's worse too, we have a dog and the dog wakes up when I get up so she gets greeted by an over excited fury beast licking her face at 6.00am.  Then the dog gets involved to top it off.

Life is all about give and take.  It's hugely beneficial for you to run, both physically and mentally.  You'll live a longer, healthier and happier life for it so if he's not willing to give an extra half hour up for that, it's probably him who's selfish.

Maybe you could pay him back at weekends (no, I wasn't suggesting that....well actually...no, behave) and get up and see to the kids, let him have a lie in and make him breakfast in bed or something.

• Thanks guys - think perhaps I just needed a bit of encouragement from fellow runners.

Dumping them seems a bit harsh Dave after 12 years of marriage and two kids!image

• You could find a new woman who runs with you ! image
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I think the 'selfish' bit is when you come back freezing cold, jump back into bed and 'use' your partner as a giant water bottle to warm up! But doing this does warm you up though... They do say love means never having to say you are sorry... But there is something about the screaming and threats to kill after you do it?

But to answer your question have a look at a book called 'Zen and the Art of Running: The path to making peace with your pace' by Larry Shapiro. Do not be put off by the title it is all about 'the middle way' ie finding balance. He discusses the very situation that you describe and the question of motivation etc.

Many partners just don't understand; even mine...  after 21 years...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks SideBurn - will investigate the book.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

if it doesnt matter to you when you run,  give him the option - would he rather you went out in the mornings or later.

or if mornings can you not have your phone on vibrate and put it under your pillow so it has a better chance of not waking him up

• No not selfish, it's good for you and your husband knows this. Would he rather your wellbeing suffered for the sake of an extra half hour kip a day? Doubt it. My gf always gives me little barbed comments before I go out in the mornings as she has to deal with the kids, but I know she doesn't mean anything by it as she knows it's good for my health etc.

• i really think it depends.....if your partner is generous with you having lots of time to run and social but really doesn't like being woken then don't do it........

or if you want to then sleep on the sette the nights you want to run and then you won't wake him up getting up for a run.....

if he is the type that moans whatever time you try and run then just ignore him and run in the mornings and let him be grumpy

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    C P 31 wrote (see)

No not selfish, it's good for you and your husband knows this. Would he rather your wellbeing suffered for the sake of an extra half hour kip a day? Doubt it. My gf always gives me little barbed comments before I go out in the mornings as she has to deal with the kids, but I know she doesn't mean anything by it as she knows it's good for my health etc.

I am not on commission for the book I mentioned above, but the author had this 'problem' he said the solution was to sit down and discuss how important running was to his wife. She resented the fact that he just 'went off for a run' and enjoy himself. Consequently in return for 'his' time spent running he 'gave' his wife time without the children later in the day, which she appreciated... The 'middle way'; sorted!

• I often get up earlier than my partner to go for a run. He used to moan, but now he just goes straight back to sleep. I often lay my running gear out the night before, so I don't have to disturb him more by rummaging through wardrobes and drawers!

• No it's not selfish , as you said, you will have more time in the evening, good compromise really . He could get up early with you and prepare a nice breakfastimage

my husband regulary gets up at weekends at 4 or 5 am to fish !!! I occasionally throw pillows at him if he's too noisy ,

such is marriage and putting up with each others hobbies
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    They'll get over it, or dump them

i agree with Dave- just get on with it !!

....cant believe you even bothered to ask the question tbh.....

• I have the alarm set to go off at 6 and sneak out of bed and get dressed in the bathroom. My better half quickly learned to go back to sleep for her alarm at 7. 

The only grief I get now is coming back to the house for a shower and getting in the way!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

getting up and out slightly earlier so that you can spend time with others surely means you're the opposite of selfish?

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

getting up and out slightly earlier so that you can spend time with others surely means you're the opposite of selfish?

not if it genuinly effecfts him......if waking earlier makes him grumpy and underperforming in work and then too tired and stressed to spend quality time in the evening with the family...

it really does depend on the individual and the compromise in this family might be for her to run lunchtime or the evening...

talking it over and after those years together she should know if he is just being a moany sod......

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

I go out for early morning runs almost every Saturday with my running group. This means getting up around 6.30am. I have now developed a skill where I can wake up by myself without the alarm (I always set it anyways, just in case), so I can get up quietly and sneak out of the bedroom. I always get my running gear ready and my breakfast out the night before so I can avoid making noise trying to find my clothes and the dishes. My hubby got used to this so much that on the last few occasions he told me he had not even noticed I had left to go out running LOL. 

If it is causing issues for you, always discuss with your other half why it is important for you, why early mornings are the best for you and your partner will (hopefully) understand if they truly care about you. Just make sure that you make allowances for them as well in return, if they want to do stuff you cannot tolerate too welll. That said, my hubby regularly invites over his buddies for boardgames - it is a 12 hour event, lasting into the early hours, which I have always accepted with a smile on my face!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

12hours playing Board games?

Like Hungry hippos?

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

12 hours playing board games.... Hmmm how far could I run in 12 hoursimage

'Spose it would depend how much of the time I spend re-hydrating with a hop based beverage image

• Just be very quiet. Put kit out night before. 

If you enjoy it come and join us on 'Stupid O Clock' Thread.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/who-else-gets-up-at-stupid-o-clock-to-run-/161363-608.html

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Off Topic, but I'm wondering if I'm becoming selfish (or is the word obsessed?) around running?  I seem to be either preparing for a run, thinking about running, relaxing after a run, talking about running, reading about running, blogging about running or analysing results of running (not to mention actually running) a large amount of time.

When out with my wife, I make the conscious decision to say to myself "I must not talk about running".  However, some topic which usually has nothing to do with running sparks off something and 2 minutes later I'm talking about running.

Is this normal? image

(Spellcheck isn't working today (iMac), so apologies if there are loads of typos in the above!).

• My OH has just left me in bed whilst she went out running
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Big_G wrote (see)

Off Topic, but I'm wondering if I'm becoming selfish (or is the word obsessed?) around running?  I seem to be either preparing for a run, thinking about running, relaxing after a run, talking about running, reading about running, blogging about running or analysing results of running (not to mention actually running) a large amount of time.

When out with my wife, I make the conscious decision to say to myself "I must not talk about running".  However, some topic which usually has nothing to do with running sparks off something and 2 minutes later I'm talking about running.

Is this normal? image

(Spellcheck isn't working today (iMac), so apologies if there are loads of typos in the above!).

Your obsessed...

Me I am different; I only spend half my time obsessed with running. The other half I spend obsessed by cycling... I can usually find time to work and sleep as well....

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    My OH has just left me in bed whilst she went out running

At least you assume she's out running! You know what Im saying there Mr Ex Spartan!

What!??!!? You think she could be out cycling???? That is outrageous