Vitruvian 2013

Comments

• First post on here, but I was thinking of either the Vitruvian or Little Woody?!

• I'd hurry up if your thinking of the vit, sold out in 36 hours last year

• I saw that it filled up pretty quickly, I've decided to plump for the Little Woody. Its nearly half the price and with Ironman UK 2014 in my sights, good training I think!

• Not many of us doing this then? image

Was it something I said?

• I'll see if they offer places from dropouts nearer the time, chances are they will I reckon and if they dont, meh image

• I am doing it, will be my first middle distance!

• Im in. My delightful hu bby signed me up after I watched him do ironman wales! I have only ever done a super sprint. I am happy with ow swimming and am getting there with the bike BUT I hate running ....I will be the one walking at the back! Argh! Scared!
  • ellie owen wrote (see)
    Im in. My delightful hu bby signed me up after I watched him do ironman wales! I have only ever done a super sprint. I am happy with ow swimming and am getting there with the bike BUT I hate running ....I will be the one walking at the back! Argh! Scared!

I'm in a similar position, I have only done a sprint. I'm the opposit though, love running, getting there with bike and while I don't hate swimming I'm not a huge lover! But it is 10 months (to the date!) away so plenty of time for proper preparation image trying to think positively!

• Leigh I am glad i am not the only one! I feel as though everyone there will be way more experienced and I will just be the silly woman who thought she could actually do this, crawling along with minutes to go! Have you done any open water swimming? I am currently running about 5k easily, much further and my knee gives up! Im such a novice!
  • Congrats to all who got a place. It's a really enjoyable track - especially the cycle route. Get your jabs before you jump into the lake/cesspit though.

• Good to see a few signed up here. It is a fun event and great for spectators also.

I made some silly skool boy errors in 2011 and I'm returning to put right the wrongs....

Yeah, jabs, The lake's a bit pongy when you get in - something like rotten eggs!

Looking forward to the training, this sort of starts at end of January when I go to Lanza for some much needed winter sun and warm weatehr training.

• I'm in, last done in 2009, so hoping to see some improvement.image
  • im only putting in about 13 hours a week at the minute but itll rise to around 25 by summer,image

• Ellie, you won't be the only walking so don't panic. Bit hard to advise on volume as don't know how fit you are now, or what training you are used to.. Tell us more and one of us will doubtless help. We might pull your leg a bit too.image can you other half help? If he has done an IM he will have half a clue how to prep for vit.
  • Thanks for the replies guys and a bit of leg pulling is good with me. My hubby is giving me advice but he wants me to train ultra hard and get round super fast, where as i just want to finish.

At the minute I cycle 25 -30 miles once a week ( when it isnt snowing), spinning class once a week and have started going on the turbo for half an hour once a week which I really hate! Running has been limited......I have done a few 45min runs but so far im not even doing this once a week! I was a swimmer as a kid, and did a few gentle ow swim sessions last summer. Haven't swum much since then but I dont think getting back up to speed will be too much of an issue.

Sorry, thats a bit of an essay! My run is my biggest concern. Hubby a bit useless advising on that as he finds it so easy to run and run and run and can't understand why I find it hard.

Any advice (and leg pulling) muchly appreciated!
  • Confidence very much boosted! Managed to run 7km on Sat with barely sny knee pain. And just swum (or is it swam?) the vitruvian swim distance in less than 50 mins (not bad considering I had a wee stop and swam the last 300 very slowly doing breaststroke chatting to a friend who appeared).

Hubby finally agreed to helping me write a work friendly training plan rather than some sort of pro torture schedule!

It probably all sounds rather basic to you guys, you all seem to know what you are. on about, but I just wanted to share my stupid excitement and belief that this is possible!
  • Hi Ellie, if you have only limited time I would concentrate on the bike.  The swim you can muddle through and can always walk the run.  The bike course is a bit lumpy, so get as many hilly rides in as you can.  No need to panic you have months of summer riding before the Vit.  I live in east anglia which is flat as a pancake so I did go up and ride the course a few times before race day.  This helped my confidence a lot.  Don't worry though, it's not the Alps just a bit more undulating than we have around here.

• Thanks Hagakure! I am more than happy to focus my efforts on the bike....it is way more fun than running! We live in south Leics so thr terrain is not too disimilar to rutland. We have a couple of hills that have a similar gradient to the ripple, just not so long. Hubby likes to drag me out there for hill reps! will keep doing them for sure then... Thanks!
  • Just in case its useful, there's a group doing open water swiming sessions actually at the location of the Vitruvian swim (Whitwell harbour on Rutland water) on Wednesday nights from May. http://inspire2tri.com/programmes/open-water-swimming-2/open-water-swimming-events-in-rutland-water for more details. I'll be down there, although the Vitruvian is out of my league this year!

• Well hopefully the snow has all buggered off now and we can get on with our training.

Did some useful bike miles over the weekend and was frozen solid most of the time imagethough I can't run at the moment as I have a calf injury imageimage - but this is improving and I hope to be running again by next week.

How is everyone else's training going?

• Thanks for that paperman .... may head over for a dip at some point befoere August.

Suffolk Punch .... Good work with the bike rides! My training is up and down image abandoned a bike ride an hour in on Sun as it was so cold and windy. Did a short one today after 1.2 mile swim. Swim felt good but I just couldnt seem to be bothered to turn my legs on the bike, it was hard going and has put me in a bad mood!

I hope your calf injury clears up. I have painful calves too but im hoping its just a soreness that will pass... I got some new balance minimal shoes with the thinking being if I am ever going to improve my running form I may as well do it before I increase my mileage. After a chat with a coach I gave it a go. The first 8-10mins I felt as if i was flying, but then my calves started screaming and I made the mistake of carrying on for another 8 mins. (I know you are supposed to start slow at yhis rate it will be 2017 before I can run any distance!)
  • But on a positive note I am now able to run up to 7km fairly easily with my cushy trainers and less knee pain. Want to try a 10km run later this week if my calves get mended!
  • Thanks for that paperman .... may head over for a dip at some point befoere August.

Suffolk Punch .... Good work with the bike rides! My training is up and down image abandoned a bike ride an hour in on Sun as it was so cold and windy. Did a short one today after 1.2 mile swim. Swim felt good but I just couldnt seem to be bothered to turn my legs on the bike, it was hard going and has put me in a bad mood!

I hope your calf injury clears up. I have painful calves too but im hoping its just a soreness that will pass... I got some new balance minimal shoes with the thinking being if I am ever going to improve my running form I may as well do it before I increase my mileage. After a chat with a coach I gave it a go. The first 8-10mins I felt as if i was flying, but then my calves started screaming and I made the mistake of carrying on for another 8 mins. (I know you are supposed to start slow at yhis rate it will be 2017 before I can run any distance!)
  • But on a positive note I am now able to run up to 7km fairly easily with my cushy trainers and less knee pain. Want to try a 10km run later this week if my calves get mended!
  • PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

Drop me a line if you do come up, EllieO - we're 2 miles away and can provide a base if you want! You should be able to PM me through the forum.

• Thanks for that, I will let you know! There is OW swimming near us for most of our training but it would be useful to have 1-2 swims in Rutland -when (if) i warms up a bit!

Apologies for the multiple posts... no idea what was happening there!
  • via Twitter Pacesetter just announced they'd released five more spaces - I've nabbed one.

• Good for you PRW!

I finished the Little Beaver std tri on Sunday still carrying a slight calf injury which got progressively worse during the run. Hobbling around a little bit for now but hopefull to be properly running again soon.

I have Dambuster at Rutland in two week's time. at least I get a chance to swim in Rutland Water and the run is a little flater!

If you can get the practise, jump at the chance - I always feel more comfortable when I've already swum somewhere before competing there.