At Last...! Commonsense is found....

Comments

• brilliant - and about time.

• hmmmm.... not so sure as it penalises us larger people with higher weight due to our sporting heritages which is not the real reason for us being "overweight".  why should we be penalised the same as those who do nothing to control their weight isues??

thin end of a very poorly thought out process imho

• People in Samoa are renowned for being grossly obese. We're not talking a few extra Mars Bars being an issue here.
  • I think that the way to go is to provide bigger seats for bigger people at a surcharge - whether you are "tall" big, "muscular" big or "fat" big.  I'm sure lots of people would be prepared to pay the extra for the increased comfort - heck I'm only 5'2" and I don't have enough leg room on a plane, I've no idea how tall people get on!

• they should only charge more if they provide more room.......

• It works both ways.  At the other end of the scale, I'm always having to fork out to get clothing altered because I'm a petite build. 

• As someone who's on a low salary, I'm not happy about having to spend the extra cash, plus not having the same choice in clothing and shoes as people of average stature in the first place.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Seems sensible to me. I would suggest paying for the combined weight of you and your luggage. An entirely random number - 100 kg as standard. If you're little you can take more luggage. If you're not you can take less or pay for the extra.

Being 6 foot 6 and 16 stones of solid muscle brings plenty of benefits in itself so losing out on a plane is fair do's.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

All light-weights in our house.

On one short hop flight I noticed plenty of passengers being weighed along with their luggage, whereas we were just waved through.

Usually do a long haul job to NZ where the large and bulky have no effect. There's only the three of us so get a row to ourselves.

I notice in all other aspects of life the 'big man' is afforded a level of respect that gets them just about anything, but are viewed with a barely concealed horror on an aircraft lest they end up sitting next to, and leaning over, you.

Note about long haul flight seats. Solid and arse numbing. First thing I do is rip the seat from its velcro fixings and move it forward a couple of inches in order to give more depth to support one's legs. Width of seat no problem. Then add a really soft cushion. 

Yes I've heard of business class but you're not buying comfort rather alleviating the level of discomfort.

🙂

• I think it is a totally fair proposal.  All airlines should do it...  and I hope they do..

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I think this plan can plan go through if five foot nothing smurf types are banned from the extra legroom seats, so us properly evolved folk can sit down without being kneecapped.

• the easyjet group tried to launch a chain of easyCinemas a few years back. The idea was not to charge based on the size of the punter, though, but on the cost/demand of the movie. so films that are expensive for them to buy/screen like a major blockbuster might cost more. also perhaps films which have a niche market (more avante garde cinema might also be expensive). it obviously didnt take off, but it's an interesting idea. it's odd that all films are the same price, regardless of price/demand. it isn't like that for theatre/football etc.

• I think there should also be some kind of width limit as this is what inconveniences other passengers (fat spillage onto someone else's seat!) - they could have a guide at the gate a bit like the one for luggage and if you don't fit you pay for an extra seat or don't travel. Although of course extra weight costs the airline more so on purely financial basis this is the best gauge for them.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

great idea, I hope it catches on.
    As a long time commuter, I have written frequently to the various train companies requesting 'fat' and 'thin' carriages. After all we have 1st and 2nd class, have had 'smoking' and 'non- smoking' and now 'quiet' coaches, although half the muppets that get on the latter think talking inanely to each other somehow doesn't count.

• Muttley wrote (see)

Seems sensible to me. I would suggest paying for the combined weight of you and your luggage. An entirely random number - 100 kg as standard. If you're little you can take more luggage. If you're not you can take less or pay for the extra.

Being 6 foot 6 and 16 stones of solid muscle brings plenty of benefits in itself so losing out on a plane is fair do's.

with the greatest respect I am already 100kg without luggage so why should I have to pay extra 'cos I happened to have played rugby for 30 years of my life in the front row!  in fact for a front rower these days, I'm a lightweight - many modern props are over 120kg.   AND I can fit into a standard airline seat unlike many overweight people - OK it's a bit tight side to side with my big shoulders but I don't need 2 bloody seats!!

I can see some of the logic but the way it will be applied will be too general - much like BMI doesn't categorise all body types.

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Can we fix the smell next please, fat people on long haul in next seat = agony

Are you saying all fat people smell? Bizarre. Personally I'd rather spend 8 hours sat next to a fat clean person than a thin smelly one!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Fb, if you're 100kg already then your weight means more fuel and that means it costs more to transport you. Doesn't matter whether you're 100kg of muscle, blubber or brain.

Seems logical to me but it'll never catch on because of the sensitivities about weighing people at airports.

• Seems unreasonable to me - they can only transport you each once to the destination; whether youre 50kg or 150kg.

You might suppose they could, I dont know, perhaps make some assumptions based on the average weight of the population and then divide the cost equally amongst all the passengers? Crazy I know.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

My mother-in-law stood on one of those speak-your-weight machines the other day. It told her "no coach parties please".

(Joke copyright Les Dawson circa 1969)

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I think not only should they weigh people but there should be a big sign overhead that flashes up the weight in both metric and imperial .....

Ha! Just to be sure that the insult is effectively communicated no matter what unit of measurement the audience is familiar with?!

Perhaps have a siren go off if a certain threshold is breached too?

• You'd better hope that Michael O'Leary doesn't read this.