Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Emmy - never fear, I'm plannning a parkrun on the morning of - that's one of the conditions! Am sorely tempted by Coniston but might have run out of holiday by then. 

TD- My dad's done the NYC and I got that impression from him, tbh. Good to tick off the list but not pretty. Loch Ness got a much better review.  Plus, it's sponsored by Baxters so you get a goody bag of soup!

Medical certificate received yesterday. Not packed yet - writing a list at work but it'll be fine. 75% of stuff I can buy there, no sweat. Off to get the € at lunch today. 

Did not sleep well last night. Wide awake at dark o'clock, sneezing. Uh oh. Hope it's pre race nerves and not a c**d.

Jus T - I agree. It's an amazing achievement to do the training, sacrifice chocolate and wine and cheese and nights out with friends and family, lie ins on a weekend, holiday days on the beach, to pound parks and pavements morning, noon and night. It's one of the things I love about races. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are - everyone is running the same race, doing the same journey. We all have the same goal: to cross that finish line. Hurrah!

• I am so excited! Of course the nerves are there too but feel like I've done everything I can and it will come good on the day. Spent last night researching where to eat (and drink) pre/post event, I think that's why i'm so excited! Although i've realised how dreadful my french is...

I am maybe forgetting that I have a 'little' run to do and its not all a holiday!

• RR - haven't heard that song for years image

http://www.crayola.co.uk/free-coloring-pages/print/number-4-coloring-page/~/media/Crayola/Coloring%20Page/coloring_pages/160.gif?mh=762&mw=645

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Kirsty..err...both of you...You haven't activated the ' message me' facility so RS will not be able to get in touch with you. And the forum's not working very well, anyway. I can't message anyone. RS will be at work.  I'm sure you're welcome to a copy of her fabulous guide. email me at atmparis75 at yahoo dot com and I'll send it out this afternoon if she doesn't show up on the thread.

It is an absolutely fabulous day up here. And the forecast for Paris, Sunday, is 10 degrees. Perfect!

• One more run to go till Paris image

Got a fricking toothache and it ain't phantom - got emergeancy appt with my tooth guy on friday.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Thank you i've just changed my settings

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Check weather report... check packing list... check passport....check kit.....check pulse....check weather report....check packing list.........

I think I'm getting a bit nervous.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

JB just have them taken out.  Who needs teeth anyway?

• I really must think about packing................

Especially as we will be in Paris by this time tomorrow.............

Now what to wear ?

• Yes, it's official, I'm mad as a box of frogs...excited and nervous all at the same time. Packed, unpacked, packed, went for short run this morning and wondered what the twinge in my knee was, googled knee twinge, later I will pack and unpack....spent last night remembering all the odd and sods I haven't got on my list instead of sleeping. Yay taper madness image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Emmy - never fear, I'm plannning a parkrun on the morning of - that's one of the conditions! Am sorely tempted by Coniston but might have run out of holiday by then. 

TD- My dad's done the NYC and I got that impression from him, tbh. Good to tick off the list but not pretty. Loch Ness got a much better review.  Plus, it's sponsored by Baxters so you get a goody bag of soup!

I've heard the same about Loch Ness. I really wanted to do it last year but the connections from here are awful image

On the morning of our '2nd' wedding (we got married in belgium and the uk) - I sent out a message a week before saying: Runaway bride: 8.30am - 5miles. I ended up having a great run with some friends and we chatted the entire way around. It was the best way to relax before the stress of hair/make up.

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I really must think about packing................

Especially as we will be in Paris by this time tomorrow.............

Now what to wear ?

I've heard neon tutu's are the Rage this year according to RS. If you're from 'up north you should be fine with shorts and a tshirt!

• But should it be the pink tutu or the green one ?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

My favourite colour is Green but I think Pink looks great on a man.

Dave - have you had your marathon haircut yet?

• Eh ?  I had a haircut in January......

• Elizabeth Ellis 3 wrote (see)

Off on my bike for a 25km hilly ride - last effort before SUNDAY  image

Anyone other than Onetit and myself bugged by people who seem to ask the following question, 'Oh, you are running the Paris marathon this time; how far is that then'?  I don't necessarily expect people to know the exact mileage but surely they should know that it is a standard distance.  image  

yer_maj wrote (see)

Maus, honey, take a few deep breaths.  You're going to be absolutely fine.  Truly.  The run has been done, if it felt ok then it was ok.

What do you still have to do?  Have you packed?  Do you need a chat?  You have my number, if you want a hosing down chat then call me image

Thanks YM. You are an absolute love.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Maus - You're going to be absolutely great. I think we're all in a flummoux at the moment about are we prepared etc. It would be bad if we didnt feel like that image

Just focus on the start line and that fab green shirt at the end!

• Thanks Emmy. It is a wild ride*.

*No DLR not that kind of ride.

• Hello everyone!

I'm doing my first marathon in Manchester in a few weeks but I'm also planning Paris for next year so I've been watching this thread with interest.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck and I'll hopefully see at the start line in 2014!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hi CaballoBaldo....that's how it started for me, too, back in 2010.  You have been warned.... image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    CaballoBaldo wrote (see)

Hello everyone!

I'm doing my first marathon in Manchester in a few weeks but I'm also planning Paris for next year so I've been watching this thread with interest.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck and I'll hopefully see at the start line in 2014!

Hey Caballo - you've been watching the thread and STILL want to take part?image Welcome to the mad house.

All the best for Manchester - I'll be crossing my fingers that it's better weather for you than last year!

Talking of Weather: 10'c and sunny BUT 3'c at 8am may be a tad bit too chilly for me. Brrr...

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

CaballoBaldo - thanks for the good wishes.

As you've probably seen, this is a great place to be and Paris is a great place to run.

If you do decide to run Paris next year, then call back here and join in the madness. Even if you don't, there are worse places you could hang aroundimage

Good luck in Manchester.

KirstyJ - Google translate is a fabulous free app, that will translate what you type (or speak) and will even speak the result for you. Worked brilliantly for me with a taxi driver who didn't speak English.

• Taper Madness has such a firm grip on me that I have gone back to work a day early. Am going out for a lunchtime run and then will go back home again. Dear oh dear.

Kaz - I won't forget to bring that litre of rice milk. Hopefully I'll see you around the Pasta Papas meet up.

The resto itself is busy and cramped so it may not be a good idea for people to just drop in and say hi. If you do fancy saying hi, it's best to hook up at 17:30 at the Arc d' Triomp[he as outlined in Emmy's doc.  Cheers.

• Hi Everyone,  Been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now, I love all your comments.  I just wanted to say good look to everyone and see some of you out there perhaps.  Very nervous and excited. Flying outfrom Edinburgh on Friday. Anyone got any recommendations for restaurants on Saturday and Sunday night?  I know, I've problably left it too late to book and will end up in MacDonalds.  GOOD LUCK.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Morning all, cold is getting worse but hopefully should have time to bugger off again before Sunday!

I know it's been covered but I forget to write it down, what was the best route between airport and expo? Are the travel passes the cheapest way of getting around?
  • I was calm and am now slightly not. Must calm down. I have my med certificate. I have part of my leg KT taped up and the rest will be dealt with tomorrow.

I am def changing pens from purple to the 4hr one as looking at everything I am most likely to do 4h10 or thereabouts so i best not start too fast.

Weather has thrown a curve ball. Think i may be sporting my blue charity top - even though i am not running for them this year - with my blue arm warmers. This saw me through London last year - not that i can remember for the life of me what the weather was like but i am sure it was a mixture of cold and hot and it pd down at the end.

For NY - my view is i would never do the full, but the half is amazing, and i would do it every year. Great atmosphere and great route and perfect timing for spring marathon tune up race.

I hope i can still manage to lift my arms and smile on Sunday -

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d3ecba1781b35649&id=D3ECBA1781B35649%21562&authkey=!AKX9kQHa_VNF86U

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah - the Pasta Papas chain is very good and there are a few of them scattered around the city.

Trev - I wouldn't go for a travel card, just buy a Carnet at the ticket machines. This is effectively 11 single tickets for the price of 10 and is great for hopping around the city.

For the airport, you will need to buy a separate ticket - buy one to Paris Ville (I think). I tend to stick to the trains for the route from Airport to Expo but RR and ATM have come up with a better route using the train/tram.

TD - oh dear, we're relying on you to be (relatively) sensible tooimage

• Sazzle - Definitely switch to purple.  You can do this at the desk marked 'Litigés' at the expo.  that said, the start isn't too bad.  Might take a few minutes to shuffle to the start line but you'll be able to run instantly.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Thanks orbutt, what zones do those tickets cover?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Bah I just got on the scales and I am 0.75lb off my weight target for Paris.  I can't possibly run now...