Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike.

SB - have fun, the weather was cold but beautifully sunny this morning on my run.  Congratulations on the 1st place!  I'm just happy to have progressed to within the top 30% of the field image

I could feel the lag this morning from yesterday's training/racing, and it also didn't help that my sleep was poor (daughter's starting to suffer more with the chicken pox).  Although it was only a 16m LR, it was tough going at times keeping with the pace plan.  I've completed it as planned, but feel quite drained right now. I'm busy glugging lucozade original.

Pace plan: 10:48 to 9:54

10:21/10:41/10:36/10:47/10:40/10:16/10:13/10:11/10:06/10:03

9:51/9:51/9:40/9:54/9:53/9:45  

43m for the week, and my highest ever monthly total to date: 216m.  One more week and I will have topped my total mileage in 2011 image   

Happy Easter!

• Get some protein down you too Ten - milk, yoghurt, cheese, whatever you prefer - you need it to recover - carbs only do half the job remember... Don't make me scoot off to another thread to find Ruth! image

Awesome job on doing your run when not 100% and on completely blowing 2011 out of the water! 

I had a lovely tootle - did an extra mile today (in the same time as last week) - mainly down to the kinder wind I suspect but the wind was still nippy out there eh? I had to put my hat on when the sun went behind a cloud and it didn't come off til I got home.

Another topsy turvy one for me next week:

Tue - 40 mins on the bike

Wed - 4hr in zone 2

Thu - 3 hours in zone 2

Sun - 10k

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

No need SB - I down 3/4 pint of banana milkshake as soon as I get home from a long run image  

Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

40 mins on the bike

4hr in zone 2

3 hours in zone 2

Is this your plan for a day trip to London?

• Snap Ten - I also ran 16m today and found it tough after my Friday 10m race.

Bright and cold again, particularly in that nagging east wind. After my 2nd lap around the village (4m) I stopped at my house, grabbed a drink and slipped off a layer - I then spent the next 2hrs regretting it as I was border-line cold for most of it. 

Pushed on, so 2nd 4m was the hilly part, then 4m flatish then the last 4m hilly again, so a decent enough workout, but I was struggling a bit from about mile 12.

Summary of the stats:

16m @ 8:24 min/m (according to Garmin an exact 26.2 km - my 1st kilomathon)

Run time 2:15:xx ( I had a few equipment issues, so I was actually out for about 10 mins longer.)

Avg HR 127 v about 150 when racing, so plenty in reserve

210m for the month v 167m last year and 531m since Jan 1st

Ache a bit now below the waist and was reminded of the need to avoid the dreaded chafing when I stepped into the shower! Timely reminder to remember the all of the little details.......

• Good advice Mike!!!

It's good to be a girl in oh so many ways image

Ten - well done that man!  Lol to London - you'd have to drag me screaming!! image

• Really great racing Sleepy and Ten (PB man - excellant) and Mike/Choisty still churning out the mega sessions - it's all inspiring stuff

My plan after Friday was to rest Sat then longish run today and Monday.  Had too good a night at home with my family last night (1.30am finish) that i decided to skip today's run.  Its an awful long time since i have missed a run because of that sort of thing but as its a cutback week its not so much of an issue.  In a way its quite refreshing to occassionally party a bit and skip the run next day - I'm hoping i feel the benefit tomorrow.

happy tapering Mike/Ten/Choisty and happy running everyone else

• Hi all

I am well impressed with the determination and floatyness exhibited here.

I have been very naughty indeed.  I was supposed to do 5 steady yesterday and 2 hours offroad easy [about 12] today, but yesterday decided to accept an invitation to go go for a canal run accompanied by a bike [my first crew!], and set off at 8am. 

When i was advised that the time was 10:25 it didnt even register and we kept going!  

Eventually I twigged that it might be an idea to turn around, having done over 13 miles!  Managed to come back slightly less distractedly and faster but hey ho, 23.9 in 4:22, pretty much exactly 11 min miles.

And today, astonished to feel absolutely fine, went for a jog with my sister, only 4.4 as we had to walk when she got past her limit [this is not my Consiton sis]....came back home, no DOMS nothing.

What's going on?!  

Now have 3 weeks to recover, indeed this time 3 weeks will be at running club parttying I hope.

mcs which mara were you thinking of?    

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

That was a big one Reikki, well done and enjoy the taper! 

I just checked my RB handicap.  I reduced it by 2.8 in March and it's now the lowest it's ever been.  In thirteen months, it has improved by 12 image  I'm not sure if they have updated the ladder positions yet, because they look about the same.

It all gets harder from here.  Out of curiosity I had a look at what difference a four hour marathon would make to my handicap.  It would stay the same!  D'oh! image

• reiki - ya naughty ikkle monkey LOLOLOL - gotta love an impromptu adventure though!

Ten - they seem to have been doing some admin on rB and now parkruns are showing separately to road 5ks - the ladder seems to have reverted to updating once a week - so check back on Thursday to see if this weekend made a change - don't think mine will have improved BOOOO imageimage

oscar - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO you rebel - hope you're doing doubles today image

• Shocking behaviour all round. 

Ten I think you will overshoot the 4 this time.  Nothing silly from now on, wash your hands a lot and eat your beets. 

My visitors left, so I went for an Aqua Jog this morning, now settling in for a catch up on mags and books. 

• Well what a long weekend, some amazing runs and activity in general on here.  As I was at the in-laws I couldn't check in apart from the mammoth session.  The next day I did the local park run with my daughter, as she wanted to go sub-30...and blew it away 27:22 her legs ached the next day.  I went out on a 20 miler through swaledale, absolutely beautiful, and included a snow drift that towered over twice my hieght! ran at easy pace until the last 3 miles which were at 5:35 (should of been MP doh!), followed by another 10 miles of swaledale beauty yesterday. but bye'eck it tw'er cold!!!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    reikirabbit wrote (see)

Ten I think you will overshoot the 4 this time.  

All being well, my plan is going to be even splits allowing for terrain/conditions.  I'll aim for 9:09 pace and see how things progress.  Hopefully I'll make a better job of fuelling and will be better prepared to push through the inevitable bad patch.

Sub-4 is obviously the dream goal, though I'm aware that it's a mighty big ask to get a PB by around forty minutes. image  Normally I would set another couple of goals as a fallback, but I think on this occasion I will simply accept that the closer I get to four hours the happier I will be.

Choisty - sounds a great run, though I thought 5:30 was your easy pace image  Congratulations to your daughter on a great PB!

Oscarr - party animal!

• Nice one Choisty!

Ten you're going to do it.
  • Ten - agree with Choisty, from what i see from your times and training i also reckon you will do it - don't worry about the big gap from your last PB cos you have trained completely differently this time so treat it as your first one - good luck with the rest of the taper

Paris on Sunday

• I'm with the guys Ten - it matters not what has gone before only what is coming up!!!

Time to start the sweepstake folks - the right to eat a whole pack of jaffa cakes in a day is up for grabs...

I'll start shall I?  My guess is 3:56:22

Go Ten, Go Ten, Go Ten

• 3:54:59!!!

No pressure Ten none at all
  • Ten - have you done a half recently? what time? + 10K time?

• Ten, you'll do it, I took over 3hrs 10min off my marathon PB in 2004

• reiki : 3:54:59

Sleepy : 3:56:22

That's be nice wouldn't it Ten - you'd be home before you'd started just about image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

LMAO Choisty - world record is on the cards then image  

I wish I shared your confidence in me Reikki/Sleepy!  Seriously.

Oscarr - Silverstone HM this month was 1:50:04, 10K last August was 49:50 (49:55 gun time), 5K this week was 23:32.  I have achieved what I set out to for the shorter distances and I'm well happy with that.  Just need to crack the big one.

I have some interesting stats about my training image, but I won't post until after the marathon 'cos I don't want to tempt fate!  But yes, Oscarr, you are right that I have trained differently.  It's a big experiment for me.

According to the Doctor, it can take 2-3 weeks for my son to break out with Chickenpox if he caught it from my daughter.  No prizes for guessing what this could coincide with. image  It wouldn't be a taper if I didn't have something to worry about.  In addition to the weather, of course.

• I'm hoping for 4mins off this time...as predictions go

3:54:37, kicking in the home straight to a crescendo of noise from the crowd

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sleepy - my son had a dream last night that we were in Brighton and I won the marathon image  He's clearly way better at the positive visualisation thing than I am!  

• Ten - your progression of times is spot on so i'm going for 3:59 dead (and you probably will be image)

• Ten - you need to steal his dreaming ability - you can give it back later. 

All you have to do is your best... image

Choisty : 3:54:37

reiki : 3:54:59

Sleepy : 3:56:22

Oscarr: 3:59:00

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've been reviewing my training and heart rate records.  The more I look at the evidence for my max of 191, the more it looks like it was a HRM blip that I took to be true. It wasn't taken with a garmin, and so I don't have a chart to eliminate spikes. However, every subsequent garmin reading of that level that I can find with a chart has been an obvious spike!

I have worn a garmin for some races that have some quality heart rate charts with no spikes. To summarise the most reliable top readings:

179bpm at the end of a ten mile race
    179bpm at the end of a half marathon 
    181bpm at the end of a 10k race

So it would appear that my true max could be 10 bpm less than I had originally thought. If I take my max to be 181bpm, this gives me a lactate threshold training range of 151-165bpm (77% to 88% HRR). My heart rate during my final 7m LT run were:

mile average: 152/153/158/158/159/157/160bpm
    mile peak: 159/158/165/161/163/160/164bpm

This looks much more representative of the level of effort I was feeling! Other runs now also fall nicely into place (or not - on occasions where I have run too fast image).

I am now really confident that 181bpm is close to my true max and will use it for post marathon training.

• Ten - that's a really impressive HR review and seems to make a lot of sense.  The only comment i would make is something i was going to ask you HR experts about when i eventually get to do a good test which is "do you add anything on top of the tested HRmax to get your real HRmax?"  As we know the mind gives in before the body does so is the heart capable of a few beeps more than we can ever test it to in a run?  If so, which number do we use, the tested one or the higher one?

• Oscarr, there is a formula for this, I will dig it out of I can find it...it must be in a book that is under a layer of dust somewhere.

Ten, Looking at your analysis I would stick with the 191 as if you are hitting 181 at the end of a 10km you are capable of at least 10 bpm more.  Either that or give a Max HR test a go, they are vile!!!

• Ten re HR: Choisty beat me to it - no pun intended.

I very much doubt if you were hitting max at the end of the thre races youu quoted - I would say more like 90%, so your initial thoughts of 191 might not be too wide of the mark.

Health check today - had a scratchy throat for a few days and now it has developed into a sore throat, with feverish flushes going through me in waves every now and then.

Not quite bed-worthy, but a bit below par, so no running today.......and last night's run (7m)was a bit laboured but at least I know why!

12 days & counting 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good points Choisty/Mike.  I do have some treadmill time trials with readings in the 180-184 range.  Unfortunately, they were before I had the garmin so I cannot verify the accuracy.  It could well be that 184bpm is even more accurate.  I think I'm going to stick with 181bpm as my sanity check (mainly for recovery runs), though I will amend if I get a higher reading that is not a spike.

It's interesting (to me image) to note that during last weekend's 5k race my heart rate only reached 172bpm, and averaged 162bpm.  Seems I still have more to give!  Today I've got some mile intervals (my final VO2Max session), so I'll see what I hit running at my new 5k pace (if I'm up to it).

I *may* have a max HR analysis done in the future, but I'm not a great fan of being sick! image 

Get well very soon Mike!  Well done for binning today's run.

• Thanks Ten

Re HR at 5k pace - don't forget that as you get fitter and develop better running economy, you will get more speed at lower HR anyway....

Put it another way, you'll find you have a higher cruising speed for the same HR so it won't necessarily help you if you look too far back into a period where you were less fit.