Options

Barefoot?

Just wanted to get peoples opinion on barefoot trainers, im training currently for the edinburgh marathon and here good things about barefoot trainers but worry will get bad knee problems, i currently just run in neutrals. Anyone have any good or bad experiences from them?

Comments

• Options

i ran in some once, they were just painful. I did a relatively quick run over 5 miles.

I have heard people rave about them though. I think it is just what you are used to, from going from cushioned trainers to barefoot, for me it was pretty awful

• Options
    If you're training for a May Marathon you haven't enough time to convert to barefoot.

If you've no problems currently - why would you change ?
  • Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

To emphasis cougie's point...   if you were thinking of May 2014, you might just have time to convert.  Otherwise, you legs will drop off half-way round.

• Options

I've had less (no) knee problems since switching to minimalist shoes (I run mostly in VivoBarefoot Neo/Neo Trail). But you don't want to try to transition between now and Edinburgh marathon this year - you need to start with very short runs and work up the distances gradually.

• Options

It's a good feeling though, very liberating! If you decide to do it, find some smooth tarmac, and run in your bare feet on that for three or four minutes; You may well notice that your running style changes automatically.

There's loads of useful stuff on t'interweb about it, (look up Vivobarefoot) and go for it.

I did a seven mile run on the moors in bare feet a couple of days ago - no wear and tear on shoes, and it felt (mainly) really good, through wet bits, streams, peaty paths, skipping on and off rocks, dry grass, slabs...it's like being a kid again.

I don't know how it'd work for racing, but then I'm not a racer!