Bupa Great Manchester Run

I know that it is for charity but I think it's a bit pricey!

Comments

• Never heard Brendan called a charity before
  • Im in.  Its local, its a big event and being new to running i wanted a goal to aim for.  So Manchester is it.  Ive run it once before but never trained for a 10k, i agree its pricey although i didnt realise that until i started looking into other local 10ks.

It was a good day out last time but can fully understand why a lot of people dont enjoy it.

• Does anyone know if there will be runners world pacers at this event?
  • What ? For a mass walking event ?
  • Anyone else doing this?

I did it last year but hadn't realised how crowded it would be and was placed in the slowest wave because I had massively overestimated my time (having never done at 10k at the time of entering) so ended up spending the whole race overtaking groups walking 10-abreast in the middle of the road. I'd decided not to do it this year as I think it's pricey and generally I'd rather support local club-organised 10ks, but then I won a place in a facebook competition!

So with 4 weeks to go, is anyone else doing it? I'm hoping for a sub 60 time, but not sure how it's all going to pan out given that I am on a hen do in Manchester the night before- probably not ideal pre-race prep! 

• Was hoping for a sub 50 wuth this race but may have to find another 10k instead image

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

I'm doing it for the first time, so not sure how the race started previously, but just got the pack yesterday. and looks like I (hopefully) would have finished my run before 2 of the waves starts off!

• hello

if anyone has a spare place please can you contact me and I will pay for it?

Kind regards

Paul

• my first ever run, went for 75 mins, but after training can do 60 mins, think i am just going to end up getting blocked in by the sounds of it. Half looking forward to it, half dreading it lol

• Well pricey! starting to get silly if you are looking to do regular events hmmmn

• Well only 6 days to go until this, anyone else doing it? I am in the white wave (the second) so am fairly terrified at the moment that I will be too slow compared to the rest of the wave. Does anyone have any idea what the predicted times are for each of the waves? 

• You will be fine, YOU didn't exaggerate your finish time did you ? So I doubt if anyone else did 

• Yeah I'm sure it's just the pre-race nerves kicking in now! And I was relatively realistic with my estimated time as I put it a minute less than my PB which was get in March, and my recent parkruns have been my best since September last year so fingers crossed I'm in relatively good form! And I'm hoping lots of other people with optimistic with their times too so I won't be the slowest in my wave. And I guess if worst comes to worst someone has to be slowest...

• Hi, I'm running the Manchester 10k run this weekend for the first time and wonder what pacers there will be within the White Wave. Have a PB of 51 minutes (not yet ready to challenge Mo Farah yet!) so hoping for some 50 minute pacers. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

• Hope everyone had a good day today?

I found the heat a killer and was no where near my predicted time (5 mins over), but was definitely not the slowest in my wave! I wasn't bothered by congestion this year and found the atmosphere great. Could have just done with the shower being at every km and I have some interesting tan lines on my back. I watched the start of the wheelchair and women's elite races, saw Jonathan Edwards, Denise Lewis, Fabrice Muamba, got a high five from Greg Rutherford and appeared on TV so all in a good day for me. 

• I did it today and loved it.

Forget all this nonsense about getting blocked in - you have to give an expected finish time and they allocate you a suitable wave for your ability.

I was in Orange which was the first to go after the elites.

I'd say only negative was the route was a little unimagineative given that you come back along the same dual-carriageway that you go out on.

Other than that, the bands/entertainment/support/public are BRILLIANT!!!

• I found the congestion in the first 4k really bad, struggled getting past packs of walkers/slower runners and was constantly up and down on the kerbs to overtake.  The heat made it challanging but the support was excellent once again.  I got a new PB and hit my yearly goal of a sub 50 (ran 49.29) so I was delighted.

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

On the whole I enjoyed it yesterday as I love Manchester as a city, but 40,000 is WAY too many folk for a 10K, can only put it down to sheer greed on the organisers behalf.

I always thought the Great North Run was bad for folk bullsh*tting on their predicted time but this was something else! Usually run around 38 minutes so was in the orange wave, there were folk infront of me who were knackered immediately, walking within the first Km. As it's chip-timed I honestly don't see why they do it, all it achieves it pissing folk off. I don't quite understand the thought-process....."Well, I usually run 10K in about 70 minutes, so I reckon I'll just put 35 mins for a laugh"....?!

BUT, my own fault I guess, I knew what to expect, I'm just a sucker for these big-city events!

On the plus side, both  the organisation and atmosphere were superb, and Manchester has some cracking boozers, couldn't beat a bellyful of ale in the sunshine afterwards!

• Great atmosphere yesterday and over the whole weekend. I was lucky to be with other runners at about the same pace so not too many problems with having to waste time or energy dodging in and out. The heat was a bit much (can't believe I am saying this!) and there were too few water stations especially for the newer or slower runners.

It was incredibly motivating to see the elite runners go off and still have time to get back to the funnel for the start.

• I absolutely loved it! It was my first ever 10K. I've only been running for less than a year and then fell off the wagon completely for nearly 4months earlier this year where I didn't do any running at all, so I hadn't actually done the full distance ever.  My estimated time when I signed up last November was 1.10 and I managed to finish in 1:09 which I was really pleased with, especially as I didn't walk a single step and it was really hot by the time the green wave started at midday!

It was great watching the wheelchair race and the elite women come into the finish before we started and the atmosphere was brilliant - very tempted to sign up for next year again!

• This was my first ever 10k so I put myself at the back so I wasn't blocking any faster runners, assuming I enter next years event, I have a time now so will hopefully go in an earlier wave and not get stuck behind quite so many people who walked after just a few hundred yards.  The weather was a bit too hot, only one water station wasn't really good enough, especially at a £39 entry fee. Overall the atmosphere made up for these niggles and I would probably enter again because its good fun being part of something so big.

• hi, using my husbands account but hey ho! ive just had my race pack through for the great manchester bupa10k and have been allocated the white wave. With a pb of 54 mins, does this sound correct or would i be better off going in the next wave down. Maybe i could start at the back of the white wave and see how i go? thanks, Elaine

• Elaine - Firstly this is last years thread, however your question isnt really dependent on year so ill answer anyway.

My experience of Manchester (ran it twice) is that the waves mean very little.  Everyone seems to start off in a wave (or two) quicker than they should and the first 2 or 3k are very crowded whilst you overtake slower runners.

White wave from memory was 45-55 last year, i think orange was in front of it and blue behind but i could be wrong.  I was in white and ran 49:xx and there were loads of much slower runners in the white wave.  So i would say just start in white and race your own race, just dont expect a PB attempt as its so crowded its difficult.

• thanks for your advice. i'm not looking for any pbs as im running the half marathon in edinburgh the week after, eek! i just wanted to run this race as it's my home town and heard it has a great atmosphere. i don't get people wanting to go in the fast waves, i'm the complete opposite, much rather be overtaking people!

• Your doing it the best way then, its a good day out and a great atmosphere.  Just casually wander into the pen about 15 mins before the start (people get in the pens an hour or more before the start to get a good spot which you don't need too) and you dont really need to care where you start.

I would probably be doing it again this year but im off to Chester for the half image

• good luck with your half marathon, i'm nervous as hell of mine as i've heard there's hills and i don't like them!!

• But if you know there are going to be hills, surely you have included hills in your training ?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with hills?
  • nothing if you're not running up them!