Motivation

Hi all, I don't know why I am writing this - perhaps the notion of formalising my thoughts may thus prove to be a cathartic experience. I used to enjoy my marathons and running. I have been heavily and happily involved in the local running club scene. This past year I have stagnated in my running and work/family have been big worries of mine. My training has been inconsistent and I am now really struggling to even get out the door to run. I used to really enjoy it, and sometimes I still do. I know I shouldn't moan as many people I know are injured and cannot run. I just seem to have lost all motivation and drive. I now feel sluggish and tired. Has anyone experienced this? I would love to hear your stories and how you may have gotten over this. Thanks

Comments

• LG2 - firstly I'm sorry to hear you have been experiencing this. It does sound like the work/family issues may be related to your decreased motivation and desire to run.

I think there are a couple of things to consider. Firstly health wise - are there any health issues which may be causing this - do you get adequate sleep and eat a good diet? I wouldnt rule out problems with a deficiency, thyroid or even mild depression/anxiety.

Likewise have you had a virus or lack of sleep which may cause tiredness and lack of motivation?

There are a few things you can do to liven up running a bit. Think of steady running as helping you to get through the issues with work/family. You will feel stronger for it. Try these suggestions:

Leave the watch at home and run as you feel, vary the route and intensity of your runs and the time of day you run.

Run off road or on an inspirational route,

Try some fartlek - introducing some faster bursts of speed in to your runs,

run with a friend or family member,

Join a running club (if you havent done so already),

Introduce come cross training into your schedule,

Take a break - can you go away for a few days and run somewhere new?

enter a race a few months away and work towards that as a goal.

Above all, running is our hobby and should be enjoyable. When it ceases to be enjoyable it becomes a chore. Believe me - I've been through this before, but come out the other side a lot happier and fitter & i'm sure many others on here have too.

All the best image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

LG2, give yourself a break from running and racing. Your body is trying to tell you to rest for a little bit. Life sometimes just gets in the way for a while, don't stress.

After an enforced break to get an injury properly sorted out, I enjoy my running, well to be precise its still a run/walk.
    I go along to the beginners group so I am with others that are in the same position of learning to run, it means I have met some new people and run in places that I have not been to for ages.

In 25 years of running I have had plenty of seasons when the training/enjoyment/successes weren't there but I have restarted yet again.

Your motivation will return in its own time.

• Thank you guys for replying.

I think it's a combination of a few things - bad sleep and not eating too well due to work/life stress. I will just make sure I look after myself better and try to be more positive. I will also do events and runs which make me happy again. Like yesterday I went out with a friend on her first ever run over 6 miles. Loved it. And it has really motivated me.

I will stop worrying and just get on with things!
  • Lillias: I used to have a Nike advertising picture that said:' You either ran today or you didn't'.

It helped me and my running colleagues at work. They used to pass my desk a t work and decide to go running if I was off.

They knew the first thing I'd say was 'How far did you run yesterday then ?

Hope this helps.

• LG2 - that's good news. Hope it goes well and you get your mojo back. Have you tried anything for the lack of sleep?

It can be nice to encourage others too, so probably running wiht your friend helped.

In the midst of a rather crap, chaotic day my lunchtime run helped keep me sane, albeit it was slow & only 4 miles, it all helps image

• I don't really want to use anything for sleep but I'm just trying to get into a better routine. I think due to work/life issues my whole routine has gone out the window so just getting it back.

I have joined fetch and am now enjoying planning and logging on there. That seems to have helped a bit. I am slowly sorting stuff out in my house and other areas of my life and that is making me feel more positive. I think I need to realise that you can't do everything and it is ok to take a bit of a break from runnin and just do things to tick over. Perhaps I put myself under too much pressure.

Thank you
  • image Sounds like it - life does get a bit too much sometimes. All the best

I had insomnia for 2 years and like you never tried any tablets. it got better once I solved the route causes for lack of sleep, which sounds similar to what you are going through.

• Thank you - is exactly that.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Try a few iron tablets.... or;

You may have plateaued, meaning that your training is not working as well as it used to. The solution being to re-evaluate your training, try new techniques (as LTS says).  

Read a few books? 'Eat and Run', by Scott Jurek, 'Born to Run' or 'The Art of Running Faster' by Julian Goater

Enter a different style of event?

But sometimes you just need a break....

I usually regret giving up training though!

• Thanks - I am taking it all on board. I think I need to rethink training which I am, plus look after myself a bit better"
  • Just give yourself a break and think about reinvigorating your running - but if your work/family issues are over shadowing your running then just understand that at this moment you have bigger priorities.

Try stop thinking of training, competiting, meeting at set times etc - get off road, see the countryside, take your time, slow down or speed up. Positive psychology has shown that when the brain is involved in positive activities it can strengthen itself by adapting and increasing your own inner resilience. But we are only human at the end of the day and sometimes all this stuff just weighs a lot.

Spring, blues skies, light nights can often help reinject a bit of vitality, personally I think I suffer from seasonal affected disorder and this drawn out winter weather definitely affected my running but today I did 13 miles in blissfully peaeful countryside and I smiled all the way round.

I'm currently undertaking a research project that is looking at a way marathon runners inparticular, can strength their resilience - pop over to the spring marathon thread and look for MSc research particpants needed (yes its a shameless tout but the more marathon runners I can get on it then the more likely I will be able to conclude some useful results for the running community).

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    GTC wrote (see)

can strength their resilience -

What? I don't understand!

• Sideburn - sorry that should have said "potentially strengthen"  - the project looks at using an intervention (positive self-talk) to increase positive affect (emotions), which in turn could potentially strengthen resilience (ability to bounce back, adapt etc).

If you are undertaking a marathon in May and want to take part drop me a line.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Cheers; my next marathon is tomorrow (13th) then shorter stuff 'til August.

I am interested in what you are doing. I was told, "Your head is all wrong" many years ago, but they would not elaborate; I think I know what they mean now. I have read Scott Jurek's book and 'Zen and the art of running', Larry Shapiro recently which are very focussed on the psychological aspects of running. I would be interested in your research.

• SB - I should have results by November so keep an eye out or remember to drop me a message. I must stress that this research is not clincial psychology and does not claim to be able to address any mental healt issues. What it does do is look at the motivation of individuals to engage in or avoid engaging in activity, and how they go about achieving performance increases.

That's why the topic of positive psychology is so interesting (and why I have steered in that direction) because it sets its store out clearly as being about enable people to flourish and avoid the trap of languishing - or getting stuck in a rut. All good stuff and as anyone knows who has spent time alone running - your body does a lot and your mind does the rest.

Have a good weekend, enjoy the marathon - I'm looking forward to a warm if wet 10miler tomorrow.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Sounds interesting and very like the themes discussed in 'Zen and the art of running' it is not an academic text but he is a Phd in philosophy, so it could make a good read. Marathon was.... interesting.....