Femeroacetabular Impingement

Comments

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

I am now 15 days post op. My hip had been very sore for the last 5 days since I went for  my first walk on my crutches. It feels like it has become inflamed. Is this normal at this stage ??  Had my first Hydro appointment yesterday and that helped a little bit. 

• Moozer are you putting ice on it, and have you had your stitches removed yet. make sure you massagage the area with e45 or vaseline as it can become hypersensitive.

All the tissues will be starting to knit back together and this may cause some discomfort, you need to remember even tho it was arthroscopic they put alot of fluid into the joint your fascia, mucscles fat and other bits will all be joining back together, i started getting pain around top of my thigh near scar site after 4 weeks, consultant advised this was due to the capsule starting to reform and heal.

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Mark,

I am Icing and that gives me a little relief. I just get worried sometimes that I have re torn the Labrum that the surgeon stitched back with anchors. Probably with having to much time on my hands to think about things.   I had my stitches out 5 days ago. Maybe I should take the codeine painkillers instead of the paracetamol.  Good news about your progress. Did you have a labral tear ? How long was you on the crutches for ? 

• Hi Moozer I doubt very much if youve retorn anything, sounds like all the normal inflammation we get - WE're all our own worst enemies worrying about things its very normal and I was the same (and still am). Keep taking the normal levels of ibprofen, and you must not over do things. Youve had serious surgery so 'little and often' with the rehab to get the right level. Your'e doing well.

Well done Mark S about getting back to work sounds the biggest problem you'll have is sticking to this boring rehab exercise regime. But if you do you'll be giving yourself the best chance.

Rick Hall - your return to running is amazing - are you worried about any long term hip preservation problems?

I'm doing OK , just can't rid myself of this annoying limp. And the exercises to strengthen my apparently decimated glute med muscle seem to iiritate the groin.  But just hgave to keep firing on at them.

All the Georgie Best to all

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Cheers Parklife mate. Good to know that the inflammation could be normal at this early stage.

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone. 

I am now 3 weeks post op, not much change since last week still a little sore and stiff but not to bad. I have had 2 hydro sessions and that seems to loosen the hip up quite a bit. I go back to my office job on Monday so I will come off the crutches then as that will have been 4 weeks.

Is it better to maybe go down to 1 crutch at first ? I have used the crutches everyday so far and am tempted to maybe walk up and down my garden today to see if i have big limp or get any pain. 

Loverunning.. I see that the last op you had your Labral was anchored and stitched back down the same as mine, how long did you have on the crutches ? Do you also know why some surgeons GLUE the labral back and why some like ours stitch it back together. How is your recovery going ? Have you been allowed to swim front crawl yet ? I cant wait to get back swimming again. 

I hope everyone is well. Please keep posting.

• Hi Moozer

Good to hear that the hydro is helping to loosen up your hip and that you are planning on going back to work, do you feel ready?

I suppose there is no right or wrong for how long you should use your crutches – when you get to the stage of not needing any aid to walk that is the right time.

For my right hip (Aug 12) I was on crutches for 5-6 weeks and then progressed to a walking stick until about 18 weeks. I only used the stick for those times when I had to walk or stand prolonged periods. I was also acutely aware of the FAI in my left hip and didn’t want to put unnecessary strain on that hip in compensation.

For my left hip (Feb 13) I used my crutches for the first 3 weeks and then onto my walking stick. I’m almost 6 weeks post op and not using any walking aid (although I’ve not really had to stand or walk prolonged periods yet). Planning on going back to work in a week.

Still not allowed to swim yet, my glutes and hip flexors are still very weak and I need to improve my internal/external rotation before I can get back in the pool; when I do, it’ll be front and back crawl and swimming with a float. Currently doing 20 mins on a bike with no resistance and a range of daily strengthening exercises for my hips and shoulders (became symptomatic with mild impingement in my right shoulder when I started swimming post op last time and not swam since October)

Like you can't wait to get back swimming again - hope it doesn't flare up my shoulder or will have to rely on my bike for any sort of sweaty endorphin fix!!

No idea why they anchor or glue the labrum, maybe it depends on the extent of the tear?

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Loverunning,

I kind of feel ready to return to work as this 5 star prison I am currently in is starting to do my head in. I have a desk job and not far to walk from the car to the office so will see how I get on.  

In your experience is is still normal for me to be feeling some dull ache/inflammation at this stage ? I am on day 25. 

• Hi Moozer I think its probably normal enough to have that achy feeling at weeks 3-4. Its never a smooth recovery it will feel like 2 days forward 1 day back but you will be slowly inching forward with your rehab. I was told by a fellow message-boarder that 4 weeks is nothing in terms of long term recovery and its a marathon not a sprint which was good advice.

OPtimum physio is very important and the rehab guidelines are just that guidelines - know yourself if it feels too strenuous and ease back, or if doing ok just keep at it. Always talk things over with your physio a good physio is invaluable for reassurance and ongoing reassessment of how you are doing.

About crutches, just grade yourself down very slowly maybe try one crutch for a little while then back up to two. Don't beat yourself up if you find this difficult. In the early days always keep both crutches nearby for reassurance.

I found little and often was a good mantra in the first few weeks of rehab in terms of doing exercises. Doing too much can inflame, its a near impossible tightrope but not the end of the world if you make a few wee mistakes. If hydrotherapy works for you then all good.

I had my labrum glued - this was because it was hanging off the bone and was 'flapping' and wes glued back to the bone. I also believe mine was stitched as I also had a tear.

Both LR and Moozer I found getting back to work a great relief as a milestone in recovery and for taking my mind off things, so good luck! There's a few 'auld dolls' where I work who made a fuss which was quite nice.

I think my limp is ever so slightly improving - the word is imperceptible. Physio reckons my glute max is good but glute med and min are well below power so have to concentrate on those. Am able to stick the resistance up a wee bit ion the exercise bike for the endorphin fix don't know how I lived without I feel a little flab has built up time to slowly wear it down again.

All the best, you're inching forward

• Hi all, Iv been hovering round this board for a while but not posted, I seen my ortho surgeon on 14th March and accepted his proposal for arthroscopic labral repair, shaving of the bone and possible microfracture on my right hip.

I am absolutely dreading it.

At the moment, as i have not done more than work & day to day chores since October my hip pain is managable but when it flairs up, usually if i do too much I get "pay back pain" and am couchbound until the inflamation subsides . I can 'do' pain quite well but I dont cope very well with being restricted!!

Anyway what im mainly asking is how long from decision to go ahead with surgery, until the operation you guys waited? And also how long you were kept in hospital for?

Im on my feet alot at work with a lot of Moving & Handling and in & out cars, im assuming this will mean i may not be back to work as quickly as some of you guys?

Sorry that was loads of questions but i dont really know what to expect!

Thanks in advance x

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Triple07.

I had to wait 8 weeks from when the consultant said he would do the operation to having  it done. It was initially 12 weeks but then they brought it forward for some reason.

I would say 6 weeks minimum off work if you have a move around job

I found I scared myself quite a bit by reading other forums before I found this one .  I have read all the posts on this forum that everybody has sent since it started a few years ago probably twice and I find it very useful as it give you a good understanding about what to expect.

Of what I have read and have been told by the consultant the operation does eventually get rid of the daily pain which for me is the main priority as I was constantly and still am thinking about it and it kind of takes over your life a bit. Swimming and cycling also seem permitted for the long term if running is no longer an option which again I think is a positive. 

Hi Parklife, thanks for the reply and advice again. I have just got back from more Hydrotherapy and it definitely helps with the stiffness and ache. Would you say that your are now almost pain/ache free ? You are definitely correct about 1 day forward 2 back. Its like the Big Dipper. I see the game over your way has been cancelled again. Watch you don't slip on the ice if your having a few this evening.

• Thanks Moozer,

At the moment my daily ache/pain is controlled by pain killers but think thats probably why i end up doing too much as I dont get the early warning pain to slow me down. My Range of movement is pretty poor so even if that improves it will be a bonus.

I asked the surgeon if he thought I would get back to running post op but he didnt give me a very encouraging answer so perhaps i am going to have to get a bike!

I think running is something that unless you are a runner you just dont "get". The feedom of just being able to just put on your running shoes & music & go out & clear ur head and get the endorphins buzzing.

Nevermind by the time I get up to the top of the waiting list I should at least get some nice weather to laze about in.... evry cloud & all that!

• Hello Triple - your symptoms and lifestyle restriction sound familiar to what I had and probably to what most on here went through. For me, basically it was manageable until I tried to run. It was manageable but restrictive.

Even with not running the bone will be slowly scuffing away at your cartilage and surrounding material which isn't good for the long term or the shorter term prospects for return to activity. Basically the sooner you have the op the less damage is done the better the long term prognosis. But its a pisser of an injury with plenty of dips in mood along the way so you're right to mentally prepare yourself but I also think you are probably right to fire on with the op, though as moozer says its a rollercoaster.

One piece of advice, start now with 'prehab'. The stronger your core pre-op, eg transversus abdominus, glutes etc the better your recovery will be. You could do a lot of strengthening and stabilizing to the core in even 4-6 weeks. I use a fair bit of pilates techniques.

I had the luxury of being able to go private but it was more because I reckoned that the NHS here in NI is slow off the mark with new procedures and I could see the process going on for 2 years so I had to take matters into my own hands.

biking and swimming seem to be the way forward for long term hip preservation needs. With hopefully a little running for me, maybe a fortnightly parkrun.

Trying to look at things positively, I am a hell of a lot more rounded now for being through this, and knowledgeable. I didn't know anything about core, nothing about pilates, I know a lot more about general physio principles, I have rekindled my love of cycling something I hadn't done in 10 years and have vague plans to cycle from stranraer to Edinburgh in the future, I have also vague ideas to vastly improve my swimming and maybe attempt a triathlon instead of marathon in the future there is no way i'd ever even contemplate this in the past it was just balls out run run run, clueless, really.

Cheers Moozer - I was supposed to go to that game but we're a bit behind the times over here with undersoil heating and the like. Russians weren't impressed with 20 blokes with shovels they said it was like stepping behind the iron curtain! I'm near enough pain free except when I do a certain 2 or 3 rehab exercises for the glutes which seem to irritate it for a while so i'm not out of the woods yet. Just can't rid myself of this bloody limp but am at least building up resistance on an exercise bike for that endorphin hit. The good thing is that post op the area tight into the groin which was most sore has really settled.

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Quick Update from me at 4.5 weeks post op. 

I came of the crutches last Tuesday as that was the 4 week point and returned to my desk job. I seem to be walking okay with no pain. However the  dull ache returns when I rest. I really hope it is just a healing pain. I had my Labral repaired with anchors and I watched a video on you tube, they drill the anchors in to the bone, so I would imagine that it probably will be achy for a quite a while. However I still cant help thinking that I have done something to it. I have had 4 Hydro sessions and last week the physio had me hopping on the leg on to a step in the pool, cant help thinking that at 4 weeks that is bit  much and may have damaged something. I have my first dry land physio appointment next Wednesday then my 6 week follow up with the surgeon the week after.

Parklife it is brilliant that you are mainly pain free. Which exercises irritate it ?

Any advice as always welcome from anybody.

Cheers

• Love running, you mentioned you chose mid Yorkshire Hospitals as they have a very good physiotherapy unit - which hospital in particular did you attend?

Just starting to think where I should choose the therapy. Going in for op on 22nd Aptil.

Hope everyone is recovering well!

• Hi Rebecca, I asked to be referred to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield & the physio has been brilliant. They have a hydrotherapy pool and a gym and a good understanding of FAI in the rehab department.

Good luck for the 22nd, any questions just askimage

Got my follow up appointment with Mr Conroy tomorrow, 8 weeks and feeling great!!
  • Good luck with the follow up. Wakefield is possibly a little to far to get to, but ill take a look.

How are you feeling now, still in pain...Did you come out the same day after your op? Got to go in for 7.30 - no idea when they plan on doing the operation though.

Hope Mr Conroy has positive feedback for you!! image

• Wierdly the last two days I have been having really bad stabbing pains in front and back of thigh, not been this bad for months, not sure why it suddenly started badly again....maybe it know the op is looking image

Moozer, how are you recovering? How is it back at work? I am hoping to start work after 2weeks (working from home though) do you think that is realistic...

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Rebecca/ everyone. I had my 6 week follow up with the consultant today who seemed happy with me. Since I came of my crutches 2 weeks ago I have had quite a heavy ache in the hip area it has started to get better though in the last few days, anyway the consultant said that its perfectly normal as its the muscle tissues that are still healing and the fact that I am walking again is the reason why I have the ache. I have been using a foam roller and that seems to help. I started swimming again this week which is also fine. Rebecca I would say that working from home is very realistic after the operation as loverunning said any questions just ask. 

Loverunning its great that you are feeling great. Hope everyone else is recovering well. Pls keep posting. 

• Moozer - glad you got to go swimming, must be a relief to get moving.

Planning on taking 2 weeks of work to get to grips with things as with work I would need to be sat down all day.

Did you manage to get around on your crutches ok?? hoping I can drive as soon as after - although having left hip done imageimage

Did you all find you were in and out of hospital the same day or did you have to stay in?

I expect ill find out more when have pre-op next week.

Hope everyone healing well!

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Using the crutches was okay with me. I stayed in hospital for 1 night and I think that is normal.

• Hi Rebecca, Mr Conroy does a morning list and afternoon list so if you have been asked to go in for 07.30 you will be on the morning list. If you are 1st on the list, great, but if not you could be sat waiting until at least midday so make sure you take a good book! Also, keep well hydrated the week before your op and have a good filling meal the night before as you will have to fast from midnight. If you don't end up having your surgery until midday you will be hungry otherwise!

My follow up on Tuesday was a little pointless really. Didn't get to see Mr Conroy and didn't really get much info about what they actually did! Anyway, I'm getting on with things. My left hip (the one I had done in February) is definitely improving. However, my right hip (the one I had done 9 months ago) is I think getting worse not better. The doc I saw suggested that this is probably due to the level of arthritis and I have another appointment in August where they will x-ray both hips.

I've been back at work 2 weeks & started a new job and last week had to go to London which meant a lot of walking and standing and my hips really sufferedimage bank to taking daily naproxen and tramadol at night to lessen the pain. Finding it hard to fit in my daily PT but am trying to get to the gym 3 times a week for bike, PT and a swim.

My hip pain is there every day but I am learning to live with it. Would love to be completely pain free, be able to go for a run, not have to think about getting from A-B in the shortest route possible and be able to put on a pair of tights again without such a struggle!!! Anyway, will wait and see what my x-rays show in August.

How's everyone else?
  • Hey Loverunning...poor you, travelling around London is never the best, especially with a painful hip...hope all sorting its self out. I keep getting these stabbing pains and goes down to make the whole leg hurt.

Did you just have to wait until you were in hospital to find out which 'list' you were on...just wandering whether will have to stay in overnight or not.

Starting to sort things out at home so can be as easy as possible, despite moving house and like you staring a new job..happy days hey!!!

Hope everyone is doing well and getting on the mend!

RS

• If they've asked you to come in at 07.30 then you will be on the morning list, they don't normally tell you until you arrive where you are on that list. Either way Mr Conroy keeps all his patients in overnight. The silver lining of bring on the morning list is that you get longer time to recover. The following morning you will be visited by the Physios and they will get you out of bed on crutches - once you can master stairs they will let you go home. On both occasions I had my surgery on the morning list and the following day went home late afternoon/ tea time (kept passing out as had low BP).

Good luck with the moving house/starting a new job - unfortunately we can't put our lives on hold whilst we get our hips sortedimage
  • thanks loverunning, good to know. Have pre-op this evening so sure will find out more then.

How are you getting on, any better?

Hope everyone is well!!

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hello, I am now 7 weeks post op.

I have hardly no discomfort/pain in my operated hip at all. I swim 3 times a week and walk up 3 flights of stairs to my office everyday. I feel my hip is getting stronger everyday. The hardest part of this so far was when I came off the crutches at 4 weeks and started to put weight on the joint as it caused a heavy ache after doing anything and caused me to worry that something was wrong. Thankfully that has now almost gone.  However..... The other hip which has a cam impingement has flared up and I am certain it has a labral tear as well, the pain is different though its more in my lower back/pelvis at the side of the sacroiliac joint so will more than likely get that fixed before the end of the year.  

Rebecca I hope your operation goes well next week it sounds like the shooting pain you have been getting is a symptom of a labral tear I had them and the consultant told me it could be caused by the tear getting trapped in the joint on certain movements.

Loverunning, have you thought about having a cortisone shot to ease the discomort ?

• Hey Moozer

Great to hear you are getting back to normal way of life, as in swimming and walking. Really wierd my pain kicked in this last few weeks. Going in on Monday and have to stay in, just be good to get in there any see what they do image

Did you spend the first week at home or did you manage to get out and about on your curtches.

Looking forward to the challenge...a little...eek,

Hope everyone else getting on well!!

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Rebecca,  I stayed indoors for the first 2 weeks. I suppose it all depends on what they find and do when they put the camera in.

• Hi again

Still (im)patiently waiting for a date fror surgery. List is apparently 12 weeks, so 5 down, 7 to go image

Got a wedding 2moro and know i'll be crippled for days if im on my feet too long, might just have to have a bop in a chair instead!

Cant help but feel jealous at all the London Marathon hype just now too.

Nevermind!

Hope your pre-op went well Rebecca and I look forward to hearing how ur op goes & what the find/do.

Moozer- you have given a bit of optimisim to all this now, shame about the other hip tho.

• Good luck with the surgery tomorrow Rebecca, keep us posted on your progressimage

I'm 10 weeks post op and have just had a weekend in London for the marathon (spectating not participating!) been on my feet all weekend, walked miles and up and down stairs at tube stations. Sore hips and still need to take naproxen but I did it without any walking aids. Was great to be part of the marathon if only to support others & my old club - felt a bit sad though that I came so close to doing a marathon before my hips stopped me in my tracks & that I never got the chanceimage