Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Gaz , Salisbury. Pre race mantra. I must not run! I must not run!!!! It will do me no good whatsoever!!!! I must not run!!!!! image
  • My head does say that.

My heart says "go for the most expensive Nurofen you can get".

• DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Haven't posted on this thread before but thought I'd say hi. Good luck all for the 14th!

Chin chin,

D

• sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Does KT tape actually work as I'm considering it for my foot although I'm not completly sure what's up with it!

Also, would it be wise to even consider it considering the first time I run with it may just be the same time as running 26.2 miles for the first time?

• Sleaver I use KT tape and do find it beneficial but worth trying it out first before the big race. You need to know how to tape properly and also to make sure you are not allergic to it! When my ITB issues were really bad I used to have pain at the top of my hip (iliac crest), and taped a cross shape over it - worked a dream! But I do accept that others will dismiss this as rubbish! You probably need to know what's wrong with the foot........Good luck though!

Hope everyone niggles (and worse) and resolving - fingers crossed for everyone.

Just found out Waitrose do a beetroot salad so may go there the day before and buy some and some hummus as well image  Still pondering tights for arms warmers.........

• Concentrated beetroot juice shots in Holland and Barrett...Alternatively you could eat kilos of beetroot ?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Most supermarkets sell beetroot juice in 1 litre cartons.
  • MarkD, I think you are probably right.

Currently my plan is this:

(a) alternate ibuprofen and paracetemol every 2 hrs from early on the Sunday morning, including during the race itself,

(b) KT tape, and

(c) Deep heat (lots of) on sore areas.

Must remember nipple plasters .. image

In terms of keeping my mind off the pain during the race itself, I reckon i can alternate between:

(i) doing it in memory of my mum,

(ii) thinking of all the money I have raised in sponsorship and the people who have sponsored me, and

(iii) my first alcoholic drink in 3 months on the Sunday evening !!

Worst case is I have to walk/hobble for 26 miles.

Best case is that between now and the race, the rest, the ice, compression etc all help, and that I am (nearly) fighting fit on the 14th !!

Whatever happens, I will have finished my first marathon and achieved a PB imageimageimage

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Dunky - thanks!  Are you running at Brighton too?

I've run my final VO2Max session today.  Eight miles with 3x1m @ 5k pace.  Third rep was tough in that bloody wind, but it's all done and dusted.  I have learned loads during training for this marathon.  I'm looking forward to some summer speed training and 10k racing, once I've recovered from Brighton.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I wish I had ITB ...... seems like everyone has it but me image

DF3 - in most cases these guys will be having ITB issues as an overuse injury. You're in no danger with your steady build upimage 

• Jelleybaby, sainsburys sell Beet-it. It's 90% organic beetroot juice. That combined with beetroot extract tablets - guaranteed to turn your per pink. I'd read it help deliver oxygen to the muscles. Tried it last year; who knows?

SDRR - resist the temptation. Rest will outweigh all benefits now.

Extra Strong nurofen? I think I'll be rattling if I take any more supplements pre-race!

DunkyD - welcome to the thread. You've joined just in time for taper panic. Highly essential, no marathon complete without it... Feel another endorsement for poundland plastic ponchos coming on... Lol
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My Garmin died yesterday, but have 3 more in our house as backups image Posted my 310xt to Garmin today for repair/refurbish one.
  • Last 5 miler tonight out in the sunshine, mapped it when I got home and actually covered 5.82 miles in 1hr 16 mins so not a bad pace.  All the other runs now pre 14th are 3 milers so nice and gentle to help me recover my energy.

Welcome to all the newcomers to the thread.

Beet It juice?  I know they were promoting it at the Expo last year and I found it quite refreshing and easy to drink - when should I be starting to take it for maximum benefit or have I left it too late now?

• Different websites say different, ranging from 3-5 days in advance to 2.5 hours in advance. Last year I took it a week before, but stopped day before (good to monitor pee is clear for hydration).

Beer-it tastes good, it's 10% apple, which adds a bit of sweetness to it.
  • Terribly late joiner but heyho, and I might not even be running it due to similar issues as SDRR Gaz... 

This'll be marathon #4 for me, and I was dreaming of sub 3:30 - until 3 weeks ago when pain in all sorts of areas of my right leg struck. Since a marathon pace 16 milers on the 17th of March I have run a grand total of 12.7 slow, pretty painful miles.  I have hatched Plan B in the form of a marathon in June, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on a) my chances of nailing sub 3:30, should I miracously be cured by the 14th (training had be going perfectly) b) running at all if I am still struggling with pain on the 14th? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Good luck with the taper guys, and on the day!!!  

• GCE thank you for the input re beetroot, I normally eat raw or cooked in hummus, but I'll go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find. No sainsbury's over here but there is a holland and Barrett.

Welcome to the thread all newcomers, can't really advice you VieuxLilleBlonde depends what the actual injury is and the cause really? Wish you luck though.

Taper panic - glad it's not just me!!!!

When am I going to try my charity t shirt only 2 degrees forecast for tomorrow's run, with possible sleet etc........
  • Yippee, the new Asics arrived this morning - after my 10 miler was done and dusted though, so they're not going to get much wearing in at this rate. May still have to resort to Plan 'B' duct tape on current trainers.

Meanwhile, very sorry to hear tales of woe from injured forumites old and new. I remember the feeling well from previous training cycles, it's just desperate. We're just 10 days away now though, so no running at this stage will have any benefit for race day. The rest and treatment is going to be far more beneficial and more likely to get you to the start line.

Stress and anxiety over an injury, as I understand it, can actually make things worse though - so need to do all you can to keep relaxed and positive however hard that might seem.

Re: tights for arm warmers, this was a popular discussion on this thread last year, so funny to see it doing the rounds again. I bought bright blue tights last year and even cut thumb holes in them for extra hand coverage. They worked a treat and will be coming out again this year.

Finally - beetroots? What do I need to know about this?
  • Picklelilly - I was wondering what the thing about beetroot was as well! Although I will admit to taking an iron supplement for the last week as a 'just in case'! However I have today gone down with a cold, forgot to take any echinacea - damn! Glad your Asics arrived today - just like mine image

Hello to the newcomers - welcome to the taper madness image
  • Morning all

my goodness this thread has moved on at a pace just 5 for me yesterday did them on the treadmill as a recover run walk 0.5k run o.5 k rest day today with 5 on Friday which will leave just 2 runs next week

must get down the charity shop to by something to ware to keep warm before the start

• Apparently beer root increases endurance by some amazing amount. image
  • VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

Terribly late joiner but heyho, and I might not even be running it due to similar issues as SDRR Gaz... 

This'll be marathon #4 for me, and I was dreaming of sub 3:30 - until 3 weeks ago when pain in all sorts of areas of my right leg struck. Since a marathon pace 16 milers on the 17th of March I have run a grand total of 12.7 slow, pretty painful miles.  I have hatched Plan B in the form of a marathon in June, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on a) my chances of nailing sub 3:30, should I miracously be cured by the 14th (training had be going perfectly) b) running at all if I am still struggling with pain on the 14th? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Good luck with the taper guys, and on the day!!!  

Crikey. You do sound like me.

I think the simple answer is, if we run, we wont be doing much running in May!

• I'm taking some comfort in reading that others are struggling with injuries and niggles too. My foot, like Sleaver's, is still causing discomfort. I've self-diagnosed metatarsalgia, which means RICE and ibuprofen, I think. I did run yesterday (4 miles) without problem, but I'm wary of causing further damage so I'll probably rest up for a few days.

I know that at this stage training isn't going to do much for my times, etc, but I just can't shake the feeling that I should be out there pounding pavements in preparation. After 16 weeks or so of training, doing nothing for a couple of weeks seems wrong!

• Debenhams 'blue cross' sale online has quite a bit of running gear reduced......code NG37 gives an extra 10% off today too.....and it's free delivery.

Just ordered some Asics bits and bobs.
  • I know the feeling Words, after I did my 21.5 miles nearly 2 weeks ago, I have only done 1 x 3 mile run, and that will now be it for me due to resting my knees. I managed to get through the first 4 months of training with absolutely zero niggles or injuries, so has been frustrating these past couple of months as it has been one injury after the other.

Anyway, need to make the best of it, so at least my body and legs are going to be the most well rested body and legs in the whole darn field !! imageimage

• Words I pbd off doing nothing during a taper, honestly. Adhere to the 'R' in RICE image
  • 'Taperitus' .... self doubt, injury niggles, depression etc etc etc

Marathon Preperation would not be complete without it image

• bit of a long shot here........ but does anyone have a spare place for the Brighton Marathon?

Thx

• Mark - wow! I'm off to get me some beetroot then!

Short little 3 miles in my brand new trainers this morning - they feel very comfy but hopefully a few more runs in them and they'll be fine for the big day.

Toby - reminded me I also have to do a charity shop swoop!
  • I think the simple answer is, if we run, we wont be doing much running in May!

...which isn't a huge problem for me as I have a dissertation to write! Went to the chiro today and she can't work out what the $%^& is wrong with me. Hasn't said not to run... My main sticking point is that this happened before my autumn marathon (couldn't even walk the day before etc) and got round no problems at all. I was out for about 6 weeks afterwards but... 

When are you going to decide, Gaz? Did you have a time you were going for originally?