Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• not sure number, I'll look it up when I get home. my gold (just the other side of dreamland) would be 4, silver (a great performance) 4.15 and bronze (more than happy with that) 4.30 

my claf is adding a random factor to it all

and I did extensive research to find this room. trust.

• 3 miles finished. Felt like 30.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Simon, that puts you bang on target.  Now go and sit in the corner and rock gently....

• *** Mummy Mode Alert ***

Don't forget to pack a plastic bag for the sweaty running clobber after the marathon. 

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Great tip Elizabeth! I'd totally forgotten that. image

Was also wondering about the bag drop - one of our group anticipates being an hour behind so we were thinking of meeting in a cafe or suchlike a wee bit away to give us a decent meeting point. However, if all goes to plan it's going to be pretty bloody chilly sitting in shorts & vest! Hmmm ... Decisions! Something else to fret about!
  • Orbutt - bet you're amazing at Countdown.

Is the baggage drop not as organised as London? Never waited for my bag there. Just as long as it is more organised than last years Manchester marathon.
  • Spent the day skiing. Clear blue skies and perfect snow here in the pyrenees image I have a slight knee niggle but have decided that will be gone by sunday. I just have to chill untill the race!

I am excited and nervous in equal measure!!

Good luck to all who are packing. One bit of advice i was given...... Make sure you've got your shoes! Everything else, you can sort out when you're there!...........

........ Oh and your doctors cert, convocation, passport, money, clothes you're used to running in, plasters, vaseline, safety pins, etc, etc......

Maybe not such good advice!!image
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Throat feels sore! Packed enough painkillers to open a shop!

Packing all done - almost forgot socks! Now remedied that. Think I've got everything. Seem to have a helluva lot of stuff!!!

Keep reminding myself that this is about fun - I have chosen to do this!
  • ATM wrote (see)

Swindon Dave..Think about the numbers. Avoid the baggage drop, if you can. Of course there are queques at the end. You'll want to keep moving, not stand in line.Do you really need it? A Metro ticket will get you back to your hotel or to your pal...Wear some old stuff at the Start and chuck it away at the line. Your friend will be able to stand on the pavement right outside your pen if you have to pass him stuff...but the fences are high.You'll have to chuck it over.

I think you need to show your runner's number to drop a bag off, no? I've never had a problem getting a bag back quickly (in Europe) but then again, I'm usually an early finisher. NYC was a different thing. An hour of shivering cold while 20 twerps in a van couldn't organise an actual process for getting bags. Just idiotic!

Not stalking Ncane2 - there were 3 pics on your link.

Yes Dannirr - am looking forward to a big hug from you again image

• pottermoss wrote (see)

not sure number, I'll look it up when I get home. my gold (just the other side of dreamland) would be 4, silver (a great performance) 4.15 and bronze (more than happy with that) 4.30 

my claf is adding a random factor to it all

and I did extensive research to find this room. trust.

he must be at the YMCA.

grr - i added all the thread as favorites on my Paris Marathon App. Be warned if you run the upgrade you'll have to be re-adding everyone again! DAMN

•  Rockiing gently in my chair, staring at the ceiling. Some more essential advice :

'Poorly managing your breakfast can be a cause for digestive problems, which can be frequent during marathons.'

• Simon - I reckon Charles de Gaulle will be in the lookout for a man arriving from Scotland with his pockets full of beetroot image .I'm still not sure about the goody bag of soup at the end of Loch Ness though - surely tins would be easier?

Re the bag drop - I've heard of people having problems, and there's no denying it's busy, but I've always found it OK myself. The bags are kept under cover, and only the volunteers have access, but I wouldn't put anything valuable in there - although I wouldn't do that at any race, to be honest.

Onetit - hope you're OK.

Go-faster haircut completed. Top packing tip, especially at this time of year - the plastic pods from inside Kinder eggs make useful containers for small quantities of things like hydration tablets, coffee, sugar etc. I've got one for my cold liver oil capsules (you have all packed your cod liver oil capsules, haven't you image ?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I *think* I have packed everything apart from last minute stuff like toothbrush image

I did get Mr Maj to witness that my pootpod is, indeed, attached to my right shoe though, to stop me from unpacking everything to check yet again...

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Another day of rest in the bag, and my daughter agreed to the cinema this morning, so managed to sit on my arse for an additional two hours through 'Tinkerbell And The Secret Of The Wings'.image

Last run on home soil tomorrow, a steady 10K, then onwards across the channel.

James B 73 wrote (see)

My car broke down on the motorway this morning. Thankfully this did not happen on friday morning.

Anyone flying from Manchester on friday morning?

Aye we are James, on the Air France flight at 8.40am, you on the same one?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Sounds like some good packing going on around the place.  I will be packing on...friday evening image

Few mentions of loch ness marathon previously.  It was my first marathon.  VERY cool start that they bus you out to in a big convoy and then the pipeband comes through and you're off.  A few hills but mainly down.  Watch the hill at mile 19.  Great finish inside the "stadium" though.  Very small marathon which was nice, but not too much support.  The can of soup...hmm...not really what you want to lug around after 26.2 miles though. (still amazes me that people don't know ALL marathons are that distance! I like to also give them the story behind the 0.2 miles so they REALLY remember)

right, off to send out some supporters guides.  Any more takers?

• I'd avoid the bag drop off if you can BUT if you're 3hr finisher or maybe 4:30 you're probably ok but around the 3:30 mark and I thought it was horrendous for the last 2 years.  Three/four deep pushing and shoving to get to the front and attract the 2 volunteers attention.  Wasn't helped by there seemingly being no order to how the bags were stored.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh yeah, the Hotel Radar Sal bag drop will be open at 7:30am if anyone's (probably just people I've met before, sorry to others but it is my hotel room) being booted out of their hotel on sunday morning.  If you bring a towel I might be able to provide facilities.  I'll be slow though so you might have to wait around for me...

HOLY GARMIN reports!!  just looked at the mileage I did for last year from mid-jan to now vs this year and it's HALF!!  500ish kms last year, 250kms this year!!!! AHHH! and breath.

• Thanks to Radar Sal for the great supporters guide - my other half will find it extremely helpful!

You have all been greatimage !!!

• Wow I forgot how fast this thread moves ....

Just want to wish you all the luck in the world for the run on sunday will be watching on Eurosport after trott with the dogs.

You've all trained so hard and so well I just know you'll have a fab time one and allimageimageimage

GOOD LUCK - not that'll any of you need itimageimageimageimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Racing Jules wrote (see)

Thanks to Radar Sal for the great supporters guide - my other half will find it extremely helpful!

You have all been greatimage !!!

forgot to add...I take no responsibility for lost supporters!  tell him to look out for a big belguim heart flag and a yorkshire one.  That'll be da boyz.

It's tracking upwards: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2988507

• Some essential phrases over on the blog for anyone running Paris...

http://wp.me/p1s1QE-jV
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

5 miles tonight and all set now. The thread moves so fast that I must have missed at least 50% of the stuff posted on here so if someone's said this before apologies. The energy generated on this thread is enough for a 100 marathons, a 1,000 marathons. I'm sure everyone's going to have a great weekend. May not have time to post again so good luck to you all. Hope to meet up with some of you over the weekend.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Very hard to keep up with the pace of this thread.

Decided today that I would pretend nothing happened last night and started purchasing the things I need tor un on Sunday - gels, new running socks, anti-chaf stuff, deep heat, bottle thingy etc.

My pysio cannot see me until tomorrow evening.

Decided tonight that I needed to know if I could run. If no then decision made and I am not doing Paris. If yes then its a case of what damage I have done, what magic my physio can do before I get on the Eurostar on Saturday morning and just pray that it holds together for 26.2 miles.

I covered 3.3 miles.

At first it was toug and I could not stop thinking about te discomfort in my leg. After a while it got a little easier ad I have to say I was surprised that I did 3.3 miles. But it was at 8:48 pace which is way off where I want to be or have trained for. And it was only 3.3 miles not 26.2 miles.

But I guess this means that all is not lost yet and that I might meet up with you all in Paris on Saturday / Sunday.

Trying to be positive, I will now generate my list and plan to pack tomorrow evening after my physio.

Hopefully the next run will be on Sunday starting at 8.45am

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Bedders - fly be 6.20am
  • Radar Sal wrote (see)

HOLY GARMIN reports!!  just looked at the mileage I did for last year from mid-jan to now vs this year and it's HALF!!  500ish kms last year, 250kms this year!!!! AHHH! and breath.

I'm still 3kms away this year from clocking what I did in January 2012 image  Still, at least I can still run, that's the main thing!  Paris is going to be SUCH FUN!

Born2Plod wrote (see)
    Some essential phrases over on the blog for anyone running Paris...

http://wp.me/p1s1QE-jV

VERY FUNNY! image

• You know that should we have a beer posting earlier ?

We resisted.... We had a bottle of red wine instead. Hic

Air France tomorrow from Manchester
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

That's raised a proper belly laugh here image  Particularly this one....

Et Voilà! Une magnifique scission négative.

Witness my magnificent negative split!

• Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3155 Brian O'Riordan
    3231 Small Hands
    4321 dhale750
    4648 Neil Belgium
    4951 Stan Trinket
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    15444 Richard Langton 3
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD
    17799 Racing Jules
    20737 Carl D
    37685 Trevor Olver
    50009 Jimbob
    52997 Jimbob's mate Dan

Purple
    14555 Jus T
    27547 NCane2
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28563 Goldeagle
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3
    32645 Larri
    32736 Rick James
    33012 Nead G
    40582 Clag
    42380 Running Rodent

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37803 Niall O'G
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39064 Daddsy
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    41369 Monkey man
    41747 Scott Walker
    42561 ATM
    42579 PC91
    43795 NGUG
    46570 Alexander

Grey
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    51653 Sarah Buchanan Smith 3
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    30831 Radar Sal
    58012 Audrey Brown
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus
    63573 Onetit

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'just remembered....Keep your fingers crossed that your bib envelope contains an invite to take the random Dope Test * no jokes, please...* Unless you are a bit of a coke fiend, this is good news. It's your pass to speedy access to a clean loo.image Yes, you do have to pee in a cup but even so...Tent on right as you cross the line.

Carl, you hang in there.