Snowdonia Half Marathon

This must be one of the toughest, most scenic road half marathons going!? I am not sure my legs will be thanking me for entering, particularly with it being 3 weeks after a marathon, but being that it starts and finishes less a mile from where I live I don't really have a choice!!?

Comments

• Anyone else entered this one?

• My friend has entered it and I'm thinking of doing the same. Definitely not a PB course, but very scenic none the less I'm sure.

Good luck.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Still places available - it's a cracking course, although I'm not thinking about it at the mo - focusing on the Blackpool marathon 3 weeks Sunday!

• Good luck for that. I just ran the Milton Keynes Half on Sunday so looking for my next race, and this could be it.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

The Snowdonia half will be completely different to the MK half - apart from the scenery/terrain there won't be any roundabouts!!! As you say, not a PB course - one definately to enjoy (though whether that is your sentiment as you are going up the main hill....!?)

• I'm sure the feelings I have about entering at the moment could all be blown away once I get on the course and come up against the main hill!

It'll be nice to enjoy a race for a change rather than focussing on time.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

The views across the Conwy Valley whilst going up and the view of Llyn Geirionnydd once you (finally) get to the top will make it worthwhile - I never tire of running alongside Llyn Geirionnydd - it is quite magical!!

• Good job i checked web site and found they moved start
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Easier (and free) parking in Llanrwst, with better facilities before and after the race. Hopefully it will make it a better event all around (unfortunately I couldn't make it last year)

• Sounds like a good race and cant wait till i get there, have been huffn an puffn up our local hills in preparation c u all soon
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

I must admit I have done very little running in the hills recently as I've been training for a flat marathon in 2 weeks time. As soon as I get it out of the way and my legs have forgiven me I will be hitting the hills again - including the hill out of Trefriw - the race organiser mentioned that they were thinking of having a special medal for those runners who run all the way up that hill!!

• Good luck for your marathon not in that division yet am doing just 3 halfs this year an a five mile still what go up has to come down
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Thank you David. I only do a few races a year, but two of those tend to be marathons! I have never "raced" a half before - I paced someone at the Chester half last year (my only other half) so I expect to PB at the Snowdonia half!!

• Ok c u at the top if that little hill then image
  • I`d say betws y coed/snowdonia half marathon is a bit harder then conwy half marathon.i did both last year and had a bad lung infection running betws,the course was very hilly but if you`v done conwy you`ll find this more challanging.

• Hi all, I will be running this race too - for the first time. I am really looking forward to it, especially as I was due to run the Ironbridge Half but it was rearranged due to the weather and I couldn't make the rearranged date, so this will be my first race of the year. My training will involve lots of hill work over the next four weeks but anyone have any words of wisdom to pass on? Not run a half with so such a climb before..... sounds stunning though.

• Train in gym with weights and build up slowly better to be a little under an fit than go mad an have an injury , i mix an mach hill work with flat distance runs to keep injury risk down see you there sounds a good race
  • Thanks David. Find my time is a bit pushed with kids and work so little chance of weights or gym work but will certainly be careful about injury. I am not aiming for a PB at all, I just want to complete a different race and hopefully really enjoy the scenery.

From past experience do you have any views on clothing to wear? I read somewhre it can be very cold. Typically I just run in t-shirt and shorts.

• Hi pete i use running tights and long sleeve tops ,prefer to go for thiner layers,also a running belt comes in handy for tucking bits in if to warm or if using a coat and hat my gym work only takes about an hour an half once a week an save longer run for weekend .must admit did choose this over iron bridge on grounds of the scenery.
  • Thanks, that's worth thinking about. I use leggings for training right through the winter and still in them at the moment as I tend to train at 5:30 am on week days and it is still icy. I live near Ironbridge so it is my local race and I can't resist it. Scenery is lovely but also I like the hills as most halfs seem to be flat. Looking forward to Snowdonia for that reason, not too bothered with a quick time, just want the challenge if the climb. I am contemplating the Snowdonia Marathon next year for the same hilly reasons.

I do core work at home to maintain strength in my trunk so will stick to that for now but will review how I get on. Not a fan of being in a gym although I can see the benefits. I get bored too easily being confined by four walls!

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

DP - the Snowdonia half is a cracking route - a tough hill after about 3miles, but the views by Llyn Geirionnydd are stunning - I never tire of running alongside Llyn Geirionnydd. Once you've got that hill out of the way there is very little climbing - just the odd incline on the Betws-Gwydir back road, although the legs will not be thanking you as they go down the quite steep descent to Betws-y-Coed!!?

• I am certainly looking forward to it John and the more I hear about it the more I am looking forwards! I am trying some new races this year and hoping to keep trying others over the next few years having spent the last few years focusing on the same races and trying to push my times. I am booked for the North Wales Half in August which also sounds good.

As for the hills, I love the challenge so bring them on (better say that now as I am sure I won't be on the day!!)

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

I'm sure you've heard a lot about the Snowdonia marathon. It really is a great race - challenging course (& weather usually!), stunning scenery and brilliant atmosphere!!

• I have not run the route but have cycled it. Its amazing! The section past the lake is wonderful, the descent down into Betws-y-Coed is like going down the Crest Run. Dont worry about the main hill, I reckon all but the very very fastest will walk it. Really looking forward to it. If its wet dont wear your best race shoes as it will be muddy.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Agree with PH re THE hill - I live just 2miles from it and I rarely go that way on account of a slightly eaiser, more runnable hill up to Llyn Geirionnydd! There is a slighly clearing on the left as you go up the hill, with, on a nice day, excellent views across the valley to my home town, Llanrwst, where the race starts and finishes this year. I heard that the organiser was going to commission a special medal for any runner who actually runs all the way up the hill!! The route is all on road (albeit on some very minro ones in places) and I wouldn't worry about the choice of footwear, unless tthis very cold snap continues and it is icey

• Thanks to all for local info ,makes comming to a new race seem less daunting.
  • I agree with David. Thanks for all the pointers, very much appreciated and the discussion about the route is wetting my appetite.

Is the possible mud rainwash on the roads rather than running across grassy mud? I had understood it was all on road. Also, how long is the main hill? I found it a bit hard to gauge from the route guide.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Last year it was a dry day, so I'd doubt it would be surface water. The main hill starts as you turn off the "main road" at Trefriw - an initial (very) steep climb through the village, before you hit the main climb. I'd say from the "turn off" to the top is just under a mile, then there is a false flat as you hit the small vilage of Llanrhychwyn where the road goes up again (quite steep) for about 1/3 of a mile - again it levels out before a slight inlcine and a slight descent to the edge of Llyn Geirionnydd. That must take you to about 5.5miles - at the far end of the Geirionnydd, the road does go up for a bit (for about half a mile) before the start of the (steep) descent to Betws-y-Coed.

I haven't run up that way for quite a while as I've not done much in the hills - preferring to do my long runs on the valley as training for a flat marathon (next Sunday). Once I get the marathon out of the way (& my legs have forgiven me) I will run parts of the course and will put a link to the Garmin map/profile

• There are stretches of minor roads with grass up the middle, if its very wet then mud from the farms will be on the road. But as the weather looks at the moment it will be perfect. Is the start/assembly area at the sports/rugby club on the east side of the river?

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

I understand that the race starts and finishes in Llanrwst, by the bridge - the (Nant Conwy) rugby club is at about 1.5-2miles into the race route. Race HQ is the town's sports centre which is by the senior school on Nebo Rd (on south/Bwts-y-Coed side of town)