Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Fingers crossed Carl. Hope to see you on the start line.
  • My French weekend started this evening with me and Mrs DV going out for dinner at a French restaurant....    while there, she told me of a rather yukky story told to her by her hairdresser yesterday...

If you are of a weak mind/stomach I suggest you ignore the rest of this message...

Mrs DV has had the same hairdresser for about 20+ years and this woman is a proper MILF..  mid-40's, slim, very attractive etc...    anyway...   recently (end of last year) I had commented that she (the hairdresser) was putting on weight.  About a month ago she had an operation as a follow up to an operation she had about a year ago.

It appears that the operation was to remove a 'parasitic twin' by C section.  In essence, another human type growth living and growing inside her!!!    She said it had hair, teeth and bones, weighed about 4 kg (the size of a baby) and the surgeon who removed it was apparently excited because he had never seen one before.   The theory is that when she had her ovaries removed last year, this somehow allowed the growth to expand, hence the weight gain etc...

She said she saw it after it was removed and that it looked like a alien....!   

OMG..   how gross is that...   it's apparently very rare and is apparently likely to have been inside her all her life, but with its growth supressed by her ovaries...

Maybe the medical people on here might like to add something about parasitic twins..?

• Just to build on DV's warning...

...if you're curious about the subject, just stay that way, don't do a google image search. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

ATM / Simon - Have not given up yet. Thanks for the words of encouragement. This is the weirdest taper I have ever had but in one way it has taken all the pressure off now. I can only do what I can do and if the leg holds up it could be ok. If it doesnt I will be doing my best to enjoy the experience.

On the parasitic twin stuff. There are some incredible images on the web and incredible stories too. There is a picture of a boy in India with the arms and legs of the parasitic twin growing out of him. image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I think I'm broken.  Either stress fracture or shin splints left foot. Might have to revise my goal to just finish.

• Dannirr wrote (see)

I think I'm broken.  Either stress fracture or shin splints left foot. Might have to revise my goal to just finish.

You can always join us at the back...   no clock watching...  no worries about pace...   just there to enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere...   image

• My internet is down, so currently logged on outside someones house??? with my fruit based device! image

Just wanted to say safe travels to everyone, take care and don't stress too much......See you in Paris! image

• I love this moment, when you realise the threaders are steadily converging on the Arc from all over the world image . We're all as ready as we can be, fingers crossed for those with problems, here's hoping they all evaporate on race day. The problems, that is, not the threaders image
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

HOLY GARMIN reports!!  just looked at the mileage I did for last year from mid-jan to now vs this year and it's HALF!!  500ish kms last year, 250kms this year!!!! AHHH! and breath.

I'm still 3kms away this year from clocking what I did in January 2012 image  Still, at least I can still run, that's the main thing!  Paris is going to be SUCH FUN!

FOR YOU because you'll see the absolute mess by the finish!  No more runs for me now.  Went for one yesterday morning and didn't feel good at all so am resting up for sunday.

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    I love this moment, when you realise the threaders are steadily converging on the Arc from all over the world image . We're all as ready as we can be, fingers crossed for those with problems, here's hoping they all evaporate on race day. The problems, that is, not the threaders image

It has begun!  Threaders are on the move... I love this time too image

Chin up Carl, you'll be AMAZED what a physio can do.  Demand smurf tape (it actually comes in all colours)!!  it's magic. (fullstop end.  it IS MAGIC!)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Dannirr wrote (see)

You can always join us at the back...   no clock watching...  no worries about pace...   just there to enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere...   image

Are you sure it's not taper madness? If all else fails - I hear DV is where the party is going to be!

kaz1 wrote (see)

My internet is down, so currently logged on outside someones house??? with my fruit based device! image

Just wanted to say safe travels to everyone, take care and don't stress too much......See you in Paris! image

See you in Paris!

I agree with RS and RR - this is the most exciting part!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We're heading for Calais today.  We know how to live....

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Have a safe trip.

Dannirr - Hopefully it's not as bad as you fear. Fingers crossed it holds out for Sunday.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    RS - thanks. Just completed my list. Am determined to be there even if it means completely revising my target finish time.

You can sense the excitement now with people setting out on their journeys.

Going to be a great weekend
  • Thank for all the virtual hugs and thoughts.  Very sad today as our male, Campo, was put to sleep last night.  Himindoors is very sad, he was his first....!  and he's having to deal with it all today and it's a long winded thing with a "farm" animal. 

One of our girls has an inop tumour, so it's just a matter of time for her, she's ok at the moment, so that's something.

I've woken up with a blistered mouth, sore head and killing throat, so hoping that's just all the upset and nerves, but I feel wrecked.

Will pack and watch Rocky V today and NOT run, as it's only a short 3k and I can't be arsed.

Cold and dull, so will have an indoor ME day.

On the train tomorrow......See you all soon.

Thanks again image

• yer_maj wrote (see)

That's raised a proper belly laugh here image  Particularly this one....

Et Voilà! Une magnifique scission négative.

Witness my magnificent negative split!

I particularly liked 'Mr lobster-breath'. I'm sure this will sound particularly professional in a work discussion sometime.

I've woken up with a cold but I'm pretending it's not really there. Last day of work today. Next time (if there is one) I have to remember to take the week off work. This week has been a disaster.

Dannirr and Carl: Hang in there.

i'm so excited about seeing you all. And maybe going for a jog...

• Carl, Danni - got fingers crossed for both of you

1T - sorry to heard

Magic number time

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TQlRBTumGA0/T3MRtMjIlEI/AAAAAAAAB08/UcYd5VVm2r4/s1600/bandeira.jpg

• Onetit, that's very sad news.  My children still speak about the llamas, I've just told them about Campo.  They are asking about Chelsea.

Bon voyage to all those en route.  Chiropodist visit for me today.

• Chelsea, Frank, Lampard and Charlotte (Goats) are all well.  Vienne is ok at the moment, Vanille and Carla are well too (llama girls)

Thanks.

Good luck at the footman...!!

• Onetit..  sorry to hear your news.

Busy work day for me today..   then packing tonight and on an early Eurostar tomorrow morning..

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Weedy - I love those films.

Onetit - that's very sad, I'm sorry image

• Favourite one Yer Maj? Red for me

• Onetit - very sad, llamas are such lovely animals. Interesting naming strategy - I detect a theme image .
  • Onetit. Sorry about you news love.

Carl. You will be there. You will run. You will get your medal.

Just did my last training run of my 22 week plan. It was 4 miles, weary run, tooth is killing. Got my ergonomic running socks from Aldi for 2.99. They seem good. Got emergency dentist visit planned in a minute. So pee'd off about the tooth. I could really do without this to hamper my preparation. Face is swelling up.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Blue. Bring your cossies and go for a swim in thst pool. It s lovely.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Onetit - so sorry to hear you news. That last greatest gift that we can give our pets is to look after them properly at the end of their lives. Yo have done just that. It will be sore for a while. The soreness will fade but will still leave a mark. That mark is a medal that should be cherished.

Jimbo - as long as it doesn't stop you smiling, mate.

Dannir - fingers crossed. If all else fails can you access drugs?image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Onetit - Sorry to hear you news.

• RR - yep, I'm an avid Arsenal fan image  (even typing that makes me feel sick...image )

Thanks everyone.  They brought pleasure to us and everyone staying here, so it's nice that we have lots of memories. 

Back to packing to make me think of something else....

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Onetit. Sorry about you news love.

Carl. You will be there. You will run. You will get your medal.

Just did my last training run of my 22 week plan. It was 4 miles, weary run, tooth is killing. Got my ergonomic running socks from Aldi for 2.99. They seem good. Got emergency dentist visit planned in a minute. So pee'd off about the tooth. I could really do without this to hamper my preparation. Face is swelling up.

JB: I'm sure proper medical peeps will be along to frown at you shortly, but as a dental nurse in a former life*, I can only but say be very, very careful. Please don't over exert yourself. You do not want any infection from your tooth to get into your bloodstream.

*No, DLR, I did not wear a uniform supplied by Ann Summers...