P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• It was hard tonight, it felt hard, looking back on the profile of the course, the last 3 are more or less climbing, nothing major just a steady climb. Glad I did it though, very well organised race on  a nice scenic countryside route.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Craig - I would have gone if I hadnt locked myself out of the house. image You not doing wrexham 10k on Sunday then I take it?

• I think climbs at pace hurt the legs more than anything else. Especially tired legs. And that's a very fast time on a tough course.

12 miles done tonight. Came in at 6.45 pace and felt nice and steady all the way. Def still too cold though SR. So that's the last mid week run over 10 miler ever unless I decide to do this marathon malarkey again. And if I do, then can somebody take me into a dark room and shoot me please!

• Would like to do it as its on my doorstep, but think I'll opt for the long run, 21 miles. Are you doing it??
  • 21 miles this Sunday? NN is going to tell you off Craig. You are braver than me admitting that.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks for your thoughts Chris.

I think I'll ease back the mileage a little compared to the plan too.

Though I reserve the right to change my mind again.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

13.2 mile MLR done this evening in just under 1:45. Doing part of my MLR with the club is not an exact science as I was aiming for 12. Then we had a meeting about the race we're organising in my local pub, and I fed most of the cakes to fellow club members (in honour of my forthcoming non-significant birthday).

Right, so, all the cool kids are clearly at the expo on Friday. Chris, Men & Fiona: is 4pm at the Runner's World stand too late? I could try and manage a bit earlier if so. Also, the list of exhibitors in the magazine does not specifically mention cake. Would be handy if anyone who's been to the Excel centre before knows if there is a convenient cafe. I will be the small, bouncy, overenthusiastic one.

• There are two pubs near the entrance but both expensive. I work right next to the Excel so will either pop over at lunch time or after work.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Day off yesterday as was over to France and didn't have time. I ran last Monday instead. 12 miles planned today. Weather down here on the se coast really crap.

Chris, Craig running Manchester, not VLM, so his taper not started yet.
  • Good race Craig, 21 on Sunday, have you missed one of your long ones and catching up?

NN sounds good to me, buy up all the best bargains, demolish the cake stalls, bugger the pastaimage 

I will probably get there about midday but tee something up next week, any others for Thursday Expo?

Oh 6 miles recovery for me last night, still a minor problem with left foot, I think I have got Morton's Neuroma, starts to come on after a few miles sometimes just 5 sometimes more than double that, feels like a tingling hot spot between my big toe and the one next to it.  I can live with it for now and see  what happens when I drop the mileage after VLM

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thought for the day: With the amount of food I've been eating, I could cut down my intake by half and still be fully carb loaded on race day 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Ten. It's what Easter is all about! Plus you need the carbs to help repair your muscles.....maybe?
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I need them to stop my tummy rumbling image

• I'm running Manchester, so I'm down for a 20 this weekend might slightly extend it though.
  • garmin wasn't charged last night so i decided to run my intervals on a treadmill at the gym. i find it so much harder to run on a treadmill, mainly because it's so frigging warm in the gym. I think they keep it at a cosy 17 degrees, which means anyone doing cardio and not just poncing about checking themselves out in the mirrors or strutting about and dropping heavy weights soon gets very sweaty and hot indeed.

anyway, 4x1200m @ 7:26 min/miles. felt ok. perhaps a little slow, but i've been reading that some people caution against doing intervals too fast, and that is a fair approximation of what my 5k pace would be, were I to race a 5k at the moment (my actual 5k PB is quite a bit slower, the pace is even slower than my 10k PB pace, which shows I perhaps need to rock up to a parkrun once this marathon is out of the way and set a new time).

left shin has been feeling sore (muscular pain i've had once before a few months ago) since the 18mi weekend run, when i ran the whole 18mi at avg of my MP, because of an inability to pace myself correctly, and a dodgy garmin battery). I was limping around on it all of Tuesday, slightly less limpy yesterday, then after last night's run, it's absolutely fine. What gives???

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

AG - That sounds just like fatigue and or DOMS which is only to be expected if you run 18at MPimage. It does pass.

Craig - I am, just not sure if I am going to go both knackers out or just one.image

• Ohhhh a RW orgy at the Expo. Men and I already have had a little dalliance near the bogs in Wrexham Social Club. 

Agent - yep, you need to do another 5k, I do too, I haven't raced one since last August but my intervals were slower than that race pace on Tuesday, I am definitely putting it down to being ill.  I hope your shin sorts itself out.  Don't be afraid to rest it.

Craig - well done, cracking race, I understand you are tired but please give yourself kudos, you have nailed every run/race you have done recently on very very tired legs.  You will smash Manchester.

20 miles with 14 MRP miles in the bag 8:52m/m average 2:57:13. First 6 miles prettty slow, took while to warm up, very cold at 7am. It was fine, felt ok, ran majority of MRP against sharp cold wind which took breath away and when I turned out of it on the final MRP mile, I could up pace to 8:18m/m from 8:30m/m and it was less effort.  All MRP were between 8:45 and 8:25 (depending on elevation and wind) and had loads left in tank when I finished. Got DOMS too from my intervals Tuesday so surprised I had anything in them.  All done folks!  Gonna sit on me arse for next 3.5 weeks and order Dominos... image

• Did somebody mention an 'orgy'?. I'm in! Sod the marathon.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw mentioned an orgy. I think I mentioned coffee and cake, which is similar. Though I'm not convinced there actually is cake at the expo, I think it is just a rumour started by NN and JF50 to get me all excited.

Well done for the 14 MRP miles, HeOw. Now you are allowed to run a marathon.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I mentioned beet shots! Time to get my order in. They do sports versions now too.

HeOw - Nice to get that unimpoprtant piffling little jog out of the way then

Lit - Does that mean I cant??

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Men, you can still try, but your marathon will be doomed.

I still think I would rather just eat the beetroot. Also I think I have a chocolate cake recipe somewhere with beetroot in.

• Bugger, just googled marathon cakes but of course RW haven't fixed the photo uploads, harder to have a laugh on here than a VO2max sessionimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh! And I have a question. HeOw, you should know this, being a timekeeper and all. I am planning to go to a new parkrun on Saturday (if I can be arsed cycling 4.5 miles uphill to get there), and have volunteered to hand out entry forms for my club's 5 mile race in May at the end. Will that be okay? Or is it bad parkrun etiquette, i.e. 'I've come along to your new event and now I am hijacking it to publicise my own event'?

Obviously it will be an AMAZING race that all the parkrun participants will DEFINITELY want to go to, so it'd be like a public service.

• Lit - there aren't any cakes at the expo, but there are (were) a couple of cafe type bits in the concourse where we had coffee last year.  I'm likely to be at the expo around 4 so could meet you there if you want.

With regards to the parkrun, there always seems to be someone handing out race flyers at ours so I don't see there being a problem. In fact I think I recall reading something on the parkrun website about being able to do that/advertising other races, but don't quote me.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Thanks Fiona, I've had a look on the website and found the bit about supporting local races, so should be fine! I've e-mailed the organisers too, just in case. Glad I won't have to discreetly dump the big stack of entry forms somewhere and pretend to my club that I did it.

And yes! P&D coffee orgy Friday 4pm. Anyone else coming along?

• awwwwwwwwwwww. orgy! now i'm even more annoyed I didn't get a place in the ballot. I guess i could have my own 1man orgy in manchester the following weekend :-

• Lit I'm sure nobody minds race literature at races, when you get back to your car at most races the windscreens is full of them, as are most goody bags nowadays.  What happened to putting some cake in there?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

shit - why didn't I try and enter London?? Now I'm missing cake and an orgy image

AG: you ran 18 miles at MP image - you nutter!!

HeOw: well done getting that toughie out of the way image

beetroot imageimageimage no way ...

OK, I have no DOMS after the half on Monday but my legs have stopped turning. Did a shit 5 miler last night and an even shittier 6.5 this morning image This had better improve by the weekend!!

• AG - I'm sure HeOW will be up for a pre Mancester orgy image