Do they really mean it about no headphones at Manchester Marathon?

Hi, I see in the materials for Manchester Marathon that they are stipulating no headphones.  I've seen on various message boards that people just wear them anyway and don't take any notice.  Does anyone know if it is a real thing and they do take them off you or just in the small print and no-one does anything!?

I've done quite a few half's and other races with headphones with no problems and don't fancy doing the whole marathon without!

Comments

• i think they said no headphones last year too, but i heard rumours that plenty of people were wearing them. I suspect in reality they'll turn a blind eye unless your distraction causes some inconvenience for others, in which case they've got an easy excuse to DQ you.

• Thanks.  That's what I am hoping!  I've got these new Sony ones where the mp3 is in the headphones, so I will wear a hat!

• if you do cause an accident when racing though you will be totally liable no doubt as you ignored the safety advice given by the orgqanisers....

why not just obey the rules set and go without.you might actually enjoy the atmsphere.......

• presumably Hills is getting to the meaty bit of her 50 shades audiobook, and needs the raunch to help her roundimage

• I gave up cheering at VLM last year as soooo many runners were using headphones. It made me wonder why they had gone to the trouble of putting their names on their vests (i assume to encourage support) yet preferred to ignore it in favour of their mp3 player
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Any truth that although the course is 26.2 I can just run 20? I have been asked to run the full course but I don't think race rules apply to me.
  • WiB wrote (see)
    Any truth that although the course is 26.2 I can just run 20? I have been asked to run the full course but I don't think race rules apply to me.

ouch! I see what you did there with your clever use of the "straw man"

• abingdon also disqualifies people with  them

• seren nos wrote (see)

why not just obey the rules set and go without.you might actually enjoy the atmsphere.......

They might have to then talk to strangers tho !!!! How will they cope.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Brilliant! That results list gave me a giggle.

I was thinking we hadn't had a headphones thread for a while.

Glad races are starting to do something about it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

racing with headfones on is something i'll never understand.

You choose to do a race for the experience, yet you cut off most of it and run in your own little world,getting in the way of loads of people as you can't hear anything.

Thank goodness these types stay out of the way of the proper runners image

• St Albans HM is no ear phones , I'm okay with that , I run alone to music for training , but park runs and events are too busy to zone out to music
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

"Do they really mean it?"

No, clearly not.  Races have rules just for a laugh.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm glad rules don't apply any more.

I'm going to pack my oyster card and see if I can come in at under 2:05 at London.
  • don't worry about Hillary. They didn't seem bothered about the rule last year. Some people just like a weekly "headphones" threads to sound off about it.

(The above assumes you came here for an honest answer, not a lecture)image

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I did the Manchester marathon last year in the worst weather conditions I have ever ran in, and it was the amazing crowd support, and it was amazing, that kept me going. Why would you want to miss that?
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

What Shiva saidimage

I just don't understand why you think that this rule is optional. How would you feel if you got to 26.1 miles and they took you off the course and refused to let you finish? How would you feel if I warned you that your shoe lace was undone but you didn't hear me and ended up face-planting the tarmac?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

It seems like a very clearly stated rule. It is not one of those wishy washy statements saying that they would prefer you not to wear headphones.

"For reasons of safety and courtesy to your fellow runners we are not permitting headphones to be worn during the race. We have seen far too many cases of people obstructing others and not hearing requests or instructions due to them having headphones on. "

You could run your own marathon distance elsewhere if it is important to you? Why is this any different to any other race rule that the majority will abide by.

I won't be wearing headphone at VLM, however I will have my wife cycling next to me as my pacer, encouraging me on, supplying the drinks etc, and giving me the occassional 'backy' ride when I tire.

• dont wear them!!  i ran manchester last year and even in the horrendous pouring rain the atmosphere was amazing - sooo many people shouting your name and cheering you on.  and a group of runners singing 'Singing in the Rain' and 'Oh what a beautiful morning' at the top of their voices - everyone joined in.  Why miss out on all that??!  image

• Trouble is UKA are really cracking down on race organisers and in some cases fining events for not DQing rule breakers inc headphone wearers so they are being extra vigilant and in the SY half they actually did DQ 2 runners. One in the race and one just has he crossed the finish.

If its in the rules don't do it.
  • Tee hee - thanks very much everyone.  I am chastened and will ditch them and enjoy the event!  Better get practicing without I think.

• take up triathlon - there is a very strict NO headphones rule that is very much obeyed by experienced athletes.  you occasionally get a newbie putting them on for the run leg but a simple verbal warning by the transition staff or BTF official usually sorts them out. refusal to remove will result in a DQ - simple as.

nice to see UKA catching up with the BTF on a crackdown - long overdue

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    runningowl wrote (see)
    Trouble is UKA are really cracking down on race organisers and in some cases fining events for not DQing rule breakers inc headphone wearers so they are being extra vigilant and in the SY half they actually did DQ 2 runners. One in the race and one just has he crossed the finish.

If its in the rules don't do it.

I'm not aware of any UKA rule specifically banning earphones - can you point me to it?  

I have looked through the rules for competition and can't find any mention of it.

My local half mara does DQ people who ignore their rule on wearing them.  I don't get why people think that the rules don't mean THEM.  

• Wilks - could it not be covered by Rule 21.1.c?  (Assistance)

"The use of any technical device. Athletes receiving assistance as
    defined above are liable to be disqualified."

you could argue that music could be used as a pacing aid

(and this throws back into the mix the use of GPS pace units like Garmins - banned or not banned??)

• Wilkie 'I don't get why people think that the rules don't mean THEM'!!

Yes fair enough!  Though often rules seem to be there for the record, and not adhered to or policed and as I had never seen it before in races I had been involved in, then I wasn't sure which applied.  Also looking on the web I found many people saying that it didn't seem to apply as people used them anyway, so figured it must be one of those.

However I have been put right now and will enjoy without!

Fat Buddha - oh god if they ban my Garmin too for my run walk alerts then I am really stuffed.

Of course you are all going to say 'What she does run walk and wears headphones'! But never got in anyone's way or banged anyone as always look behind before stopping!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If they're using that rule to fine clubs, then they'd have to start applying it to Garmins, surely?  They give MUCH more 'assistance', I would have thought.

Didn't they talk about introducing a specific earphone rule a while back?  

I guess it's never happened.  They're probably torn between the safety issues, and the fact that an awful lot of 'newer' runners would be put off racing if they can't have their music.

• On the Garmin issue, I kind of think that the elite runners shouldn't wear them, but a relative plodder like me is not likely to gain any prize money by using one, and there's no health and safety issue I can see like there is for iPods.

• Wilke - re why we think rules don't apply to us - mainly because I'd never heard it before, and everyone seemed to wear them at the events I'd been to!

But if they are taking my garmin too, gulp!  How will I do without my run walk alerts! To which of course you will all say 'WHAT, she does run walk with headphones!' But haven't banged into each other, or got in anyone's way and stick to the edge and look round each time.

Anyway, as previous, I am chastened and will ditch them and enjoy the event!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Also-ran wrote (see)

It seems like a very clearly stated rule. It is not one of those wishy washy statements saying that they would prefer you not to wear headphones.

"For reasons of safety and courtesy to your fellow runners we are not permitting headphones to be worn during the race. We have seen far too many cases of people obstructing others and not hearing requests or instructions due to them having headphones on. "

I think this just underlines the answer to the question - is the rule there just for the sake of it?  I CNBA reading through the entire race rules, but how many other rules contain an explanation within the rule itself for why it's there?  This very strongly suggests that race organisers know full well that this is one of the rules that people like to break, and often cite the excuse "everyone else is doing it".

Garmin and technical assistance.  Hmmmm... an interesting side topic.  I guess it's just not a controversy, especially as one person using one doesn't impinge on anyone else's race, so given that it would be very difficult to police ('scuse me, does that watch thing on your wrist incorporate a GPS device?...) it's never going to be an issue.