Eating

I am training for my first marathon with mileage upto 60 per week now.

Until recently my long runs were 13 miles ish with a weekly mileage of arund 40.

I am 42 slim build male (10st) running has upto now controlled my weight but as I am running further my appetite keeps increasing- I am eating best part of a double portion for my evening meal and then dessert, biscuits ect before bed. During the day also eating more.

I am very aware of eating the "right things" monitor saturated fats-but starting to find trousers getting tight and my stomach getting bigger.

Being of a slim (skinny) build it doesnt take much to make me look as if i have swallowed a football, doing sit ups and feel abs still fairly toned but a layer of "fat" starting to build on top.

I dont want to cut down on food intake as think my body needs it for the extra running.

Anyone have a similar experiance?

Comments

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

if you are getting fat your body doesn't need it.

• just put down the cake, greedy guts.

only kidding.

it's called the "compensation effect". I suppose some smart arse thought they'd better give it a name, but it's fairly self explanatory. You're over-compensating for the energy you are expending through exercise by taking on more calories than necessary in your diet. Thankfully, there's a simple solution, and I think if you re-read your post, you might see it. (hint, it rhymes with blessert, and schmiscuits).

• I know agent you are correct-but they have never been more appealing than now- I finish my long runs dreaming of them.

managed to be skinny for 42 years then ran a marathon and turned into a fat .......

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    'Anyone have a similar experience?'

Yes, me! Tall and slim, been slim all my life with an aversion to junk food, but with VLM just round the corner I could happily down a packet of custard creams in one sitting.

I'm eating all the healthy stuff but just seem to wash it down with double helpings of trifle. As for Easter, don't even go there ....
  • perhaps treat it as an exercise in empathy for fatsos.

When your training is over and your eating habits return to normal you'll be able to imagine how it must feel for the chubber opposite you on the train chuffing his way through his third packet of Monster Munch

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Stilts you have made me want custard creams now!

Actually though what worries me is the whole 'eating habits returning to normal' thing - I haven't put on weight while marathon training but I have been eating more food, and especially more carbs, and I think it's quite hard to change your eating habits, so we might all have to pay attention a bit to change them back.

I'm trying to be sensible during the taper, but could really quite do with the aforementioned custard creams right now.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    *shuffles off to put the kettle on and head for the biscuit tin ...*
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ha, I am going for a run RIGHT NOW, so I win!

Not saying I wouldn't have a biscuit afterwards though. image

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    I went for a run earlier, so I've earned it!! Ha!!

Anyway I'm putting it all down to the cold weather and a primitive need to lay down a few fat stores.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it image
  • planning 20 miles in the morning, had treacle sponge and custard then a chocolate biscuits after my dinner.

now what else can i eat in the name of carb loading???

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Treacle sponge and custard - yum!

I've just had some ice cream, it seems to finish off the day nicely
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I had cheese instead of pudding because I'm classy. image