P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh look! I've finally thought of a palatable  way to consume beetroot juice! Now I will definitely hit my marathon goals.

• Literatin - we wouldn't have a problem at our parkrun but just check with run director beforehand?

You suckers only did 18 with 14 MRP. I did 20. That makes me the winner. (Until

NP comes in and has ran 4000 miles of 22 milers that is). I worked out before that I've ran 168.5 miles of long runs (2 x 16, 3 x 18, 3 x 20 1 x 22.5). If I don't PB, I going to hunt down P&D and kill them with my bare hands.

AgentGinger - orgies in Manchester are not like Southern ones. They involve tea and Garibaldi biscuits, not coffee and cake.
  • Oh Lit, I have fresh beetroot and a brand new juicer which I love, how nasty is beetroot juice on it's own? Might try it but concerned my teeth might never recover their natural whiteness.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw, I only did 17 with 14 MRP. But I've done 195 miles of long runs, and P&D would disqualify your 16 milers on the grounds that they are only medium long runs. image

• Aren't Garibaldi's those horrible ones with squashed flies in them? urghh. Things sure have changed since I was at my last orgy; I guess it's been a while.

• They bloody best not be medium runs! I thought 16 were classed as long? DON'T DO THIS TOOOOO ME!!!image

Orgies are overrated AG. Sex is so eighties.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

P&D, 1st ed. p. 134:

'A long run is any run of 17 miles or longer [...]. A medium-long run is any run of 11 to 16 miles.'

Dunno what happens if it's 16.5.

• 16.5 = a medium-long-long run?

• Lit - I think I might manage those beet containing beveridges too. image

HeOw - I think beet juice might be better if you mixed it with apple maybe.

I think in the 2 me edition might possibly say over 16 miles is a LSR. So as long as you did a smidgen past 16 your ok HeOw.

15w - did you enjoy your lunch in France. Was it worth the trip.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Wasn't great actually Fiona. Freezing cold, so-so restaurant, family tension, shut shops etc etc. Should have just gone to Ashford.

Also - on a cheerier note my 12 mile run this morning was one of the coldest runs I've done this winter (surely can't call it spring).

I may try beet-shots before marathon - really not sure they make a lot of difference though.

• Says long run or Marathon paced run in my book Lit. image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh right, you've got the easy book.

Just did my 6 miles recovery with strides in my magic light shoes and beautiful evening sunshine. Bit breezy still but at least the weather forecast is for the 22mph wind to be gone in time for my parkrun debut this Sat. image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

LMAO HeOw.  You were genuinely concerned that 16m might not be categorized as a long run, because it would invalidate the training benefit if it was an MLR?  Lit knows how to push your buttons image

HeOw wrote (see)

Sex is so eighties.

I was hoping to get some before I'm eighty image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah, don't worry, HeOw, MLRs are an important part of training too. image

That's what you're saying, right, Ten?

• The MLRs are one of the unique parts of the P & D program.  Helps boost the milage and unlike some plans keeps a more even effort throughout the week.

• I was taking the mick a bit Ten...image I'm always tongue in cheek!
  • If they're on a Sun, they're long runs. **gavel**
  • I'll take them as long runs if they were on a Sunday!

A 6 mile recovery run went a bit too fast last night due to male 'pigheadedness' and testosterone. Was out for a jog with a mate when a guy came passed us and chatted on the way past. Cue 4 miles of us all increasing the pace whilst trying to prove we could still talk coherently without any problem. He was pretty decent too. But he did drop off first so me and my mate are claiming victory! Ha.
  • I have got a 16 miler on Sunday, and it, the Bible edition 2, calls it a long run.  There are two other 16 milers in the up to 55 programme but both are called MP runs.  Defintely 15 is a MLR and 17 is a LR.

My long run count will be after Sunday, 2 x 16, 2 x 18, 3 x 20, 2 x 22.  172 miles.  All done on cake and coffee, not a garibaldi in sight

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've been considering reducing the length of my Sunday MLR from the scheduled 12m.  The main reason being that I can still feel tiredness in my legs.  However, I just had a look in the RW marathon training guide and it says that this feeling is normal due to the tissues being renewed in tapering.  Their four hour plan also has 12m as the Sunday run, so I'm sticking with the plan.

I noticed that it also says that beginners should not go over four miles in the final week, while more advanced can do a couple of six-milers early in the week - which seems reasonable than stated in their recent "winding down" article.  Their final week in their 4:00 schedule totals 39m including the race, while P&D is 48m.  I think I'll reduce the final weeks mileage a bit, given that P&D seems to be written for faster runners than me (i.e. they don't include 9:00 pace in their tables).  

I'm thinking out loud here.  Carry on about your business. image  

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    JF50 wrote (see)

My long run count will be after Sunday, 2 x 16, 2 x 18, 3 x 20, 2 x 22.  172 miles.  All done on cake and coffee, not a garibaldi in sight

Oooo Stats - count me in! image

2x16; 2x18; 3x20; 1x22 = 150m

• Stat me up:

4 x 16,  2 x 17, 2 x 18, 3 x 20, 1 x 21, 1 x 22 = 237M*

If the MP runs don't count then I lose 18, 17, 17, 16 which reduces LR mileage to 169M

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

image I feel inadequate 

• Ten - Sorry, my edit might help with thatimage

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

image I feel even more inadequate image

Have I got time to make up the mileage and do more MP runs in my last week?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

HeOw best way to drink fresh Beet is with a peg - over your nose. It is proper goppin.image

My long runs are 2 x16, 2x20,2x21,1x22 - Hopefully will be enough.

12 miles for me last night at MP+60 and MP+30 to finish twice round 10k course on Sunday. Not totally flat nut no major hills.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

See, HeOw, Ten is calling it an MLR even though it is on a Sunday.

Stats! Though obviously NP will just come along and win this game later on. I'm not counting anything under 17, mainly because I don't seem to have done any 16s. But I am counting MP runs because they're just long runs but even harder.

2x17, 1x18, 1x18.6, 1x19.4, 2x20, 1x21, 2x22 = 195

• literatin wrote (see)

2x17, 1x18, 1x18.6, 1x19.4, 2x20, 1x21, 2x22 = 195

Ooh I'll have to revisit and add in the bits after the decimal places, could be another couple of miles, won't feel quite so bad then when NP posts a couple of thousand miles!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, I didn't do the .02 bits! But everyone else'll probably just look down on us for not running round the block a few times to make it up to a round number.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

In any case, it's doing exactly the 18m with 14m @ MP which is the real key in the P&D schedule.  It clearly states that it's the most important run and that failing to do it exactly as stated in the schedule invalidates all other long runs. See page 250. image