Cycling shoes!

13»

Comments

• MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

OK RO87s it is - and thank you so much for perservering with me, its must be slowly driving you up the wall image

• MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

LOL after all of that the 87s are out of stock with them but the 78's are in stock - these look pretty good too - have a look at them here and let me kno your thoughts if you don't mind!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r078-spd-sl-road-shoes/

• aaaaaaagghhh!!!!!

just answer me one thing - do you already have the M520 pedals???  if so, you need a 2 bolt MTB cleat and those shoes won't take them as the description says "Compatible with 3 bolt SPD-SL and Look type cleats"

[bangs head on desk]

• Can anyone help me with a shoe/pedal situation.  Recently got a roadbike.  Got some shoes but they seem to slip off the pedal.  According to my bike spec its Resin Road Pedals. Do you have to have a certain type of shoe? Thanks

• MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

OK just looked on the instructions - they say 'SPD Pedals' PD-M970, PD-M770, PD-M540, PD-M530, PD-M520 if that helps? They must be 2 cleat ones as the small bag attached to the instructions have only two metal pieces in which I presume are the 'cleats' lol - I have not got the foggiest!!

• right - those are all MTB model numbers so you need to shoe that will take those cleats - so any MTB shoe or the RO87/64 (road shoe that will take a MTB cleat) will do

if Wiggle can't supply - shop around

• DG5 - are they flat pedals??  if so, you need to change to a pedal you can clip into for a more secure connection and that will need special shoes, otherwise you will keep slipping off.  you might be able to fit some straps to them to hold your current shoes in place but most people now go for clipped pedals and shoes

(and so we start again!)

• Thanks fat buddha.

The shoes i have are 3 screws on the bottom and my pedals have 3 holes ( for the 3 screws? ) but the screws are too big for the holes.

• MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

Fat Buddha, you are a great help to everyone so thanks once again, your last post makes perfect sense, and after understanding that I can read back at a few previous ones and everything now makes absolute crystal clear sense!!

One last question - what really is the difference between Mountain Bike shoes Vs Road shoes? Surely they both do the same thing ultimately, other than the Mountain Bike ones you can most probably get off and walk around on if needs be - in which case what is the real point in road ones lol...?

• No fat buddha. Same kind of idea for the pedal although without the strap. The shoes arent though.
  • Malakite wrote (see)

One last question - what really is the difference between Mountain Bike shoes Vs Road shoes? Surely they both do the same thing ultimately, other than the Mountain Bike ones you can most probably get off and walk around on if needs be - in which case what is the real point in road ones lol...?

ultimately they do the same thing - to help you turn the cranks more efficiently - but essentially the main difference is in the amount of power transfer.  as you tend not to walk so much on road bike shoes, if at all, the soles are stiffer (carbon fibre at the more expensive end) and have a larger (wider) cleat. the combo of those 2 allows a lot more power transfer from you to the cranks than happens with a soft MTB shoe with small cleats.  

it's as simple as that.   you will find at the top end of MTB shoes, they will also have stiffer soles for extra power transfer but as these tend to be used by either racers of experienced MTB riders who don't get off to walk so much, having a softer sole for walking isn't so much of a need.

the upshot of all this is you choose a weapon to suit what you need

DG - any pictures you can put up so we can take a better look??

• I'll take a couple of pics today when i get home from work mate.
  • MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

Buddha - brilliant thanks. RO shoes it is.  The question I have is that the pedals I have had fitted (Halfords) have a packet with them with cleats (2 of) 1 for each shoe, so I am confused with the terminology of '2 anf 3' cleat, as my pedals have only come with one pack of 2 inside? Should there have been 2 packs or am I missing something? OR is it referring just to the amount of screws that attach the cleats therefors its more about the shape of them??

• number of screws - MTB cleats have 2, road cleats have 3.

and when you put them on, put some grease/antilock compound on the screw first or they might be a bugger to get out if you need to take them off in the future. they will get all sorts of wet, salt, dirt, debris thrown at them as you pedal so it's easy for them to bind up if you don't protect the screw trhreads when new.

• MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

Nice one thank you.  Right I'm going for the Shimano R064 Road Cycling Shoes and thats the end of it!! They take the 2 Bolt SPD type so we should be good image

• still think you should go for the RO87 - better shoe  image

• MalakiteMalakite ✭✭✭

I agree fully but it won't fit you said, so I've ordered the other - thanks for all of the help bit time image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Buddha - I had never seen tri specific MTB shoes, cool beans and excuse for MORE shoes

Already done some research and some good shoes out there :¬)