Giving spectators Gels etc

2»

Comments

• you can ask for tools at a feedstation but anything you do on the bike has to be done by you - no help allowed.  and that's assuming they have any tools to start with!  and don't forget that many big races (I think Outlaw has it) have a mobile mechanic going around to help those with bike problems - that's sanctioned by the organisers so is perfectly OK.  the downside of that is how long they will take to get to you as you can't call them - they have to spot you or you flag them down.

it happened to me at Outlaw when my thumbshifter popped out - stopped at a feedstation to ask if they had any tools, borrowed a multitool from one of the staff and had to try to fix it myself.  as it happens I couldn't sort it so had to carry on for near 40 miles with just 3 gears!

and I always remember standing helpless one year at London Tri when I was marshalling when some guy slipped a chain - he was bloody useless trying to fix something that I could have done in 10 secs but I had to stand idly by watching him get frustrated but eventually offered some verbal advice to sort him out.

• Ah, I used to work for the Council, I'm great at standing by and watching someone else work image

• Siggy should have been a dq at the outlaw finish line then cos somebody handed him a zimmer frame and there is photographic evidence even. imageimage

• In siggy's case thats classed as essential medical equipment! image

• Direct from the rule book;

No individual support by vehicle, bicycle or on foot is permitted except as provided by the organisers. Competitors may not receive any assistance other than that provided by the race organiser  

During the event, competitors are individually responsible for the repair of their machines

• IIRC you could get off the run course and into the change tents to pick stuff up?        Unless I am making that up image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    No, I was just about to say that too. You can take a left just past the finish and go in and out and get whatever you want from your bags.
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

IIRC you could get off the run course and into the change tents to pick stuff up?        Unless I am making that up image

I did that to check my phone and see how my mate did, he was doing Trentham Half on the same day. image

• I think if you find something on the ground it is OK to use it. So if someone just happened to have dropped something then it is acceptable to use it!

• M..o.use wrote (see)
    No, I was just about to say that too. You can take a left just past the finish and go in and out and get whatever you want from your bags.

i never knew that - great stuff - can change into a nice dry top and grab a tinny image