overtaking etiquette

Did a half the other week, I don,t tend to do many road races as prefer off road fell type stuff.Anyhow I placed myself at the start in the correct finish time bay  the gun goes and we are off.It becomes very evident after the first mile that most runners around me were in the wrong bay at the start.I,m getting really pee,d offand having to go up grass verges to get around large groups of 11 min mile runnersimage.........who have started in the 8 min mile bay.Anyhow we come to a hill and at 3 miles some are virtually walking , Its a stretch with high banking on so it forms a bottle neck, I,m virtually running on top of slower people as are other runners too , so I tap the lady in front who has an mp3 on and is running with a friend , and shout coming through,she looks daggers at me , so I squeeze myself through smiling , and get a shove  which nearly knocked me over , then a load abuse about not passing on the left and you should pass on the right ..........she was bigger than me so it just made me run faster. But seriously whats the etiquette here ??

Comments

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

People who race with headphones on turn me right off anyway.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If they are going to start in the wrong pens and wear headphones then they can't really have a go at you about etiquette.

I never knew there was rules regarding passing on the right or left.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

"then a load abuse about not passing on the left and you should pass on the right"

Never heard of that one before. Its a race, not a gentlemens stroll through a park. Tell em to f... off.

Spot on.

• It isn't the motorway, you pass wherever the space is, to the left or the right.

Slower runners and walkers should keep to the side (imo more race marshalls need to emphasis this) and the overtaker needs to time their overtaking so that they don't have to shove past - I know it can be difficult but it is possible.

• in a race you overtake wherever you see there is a gap......image

• roeby wrote (see)

...so I tap the lady in front who has an mp3 on and is running with a friend , and shout coming through,she looks daggers at me , so I squeeze myself through smiling , and get a shove  which nearly knocked me over , then a load abuse about not passing on the left and you should pass on the right ....

Giving you the daggers I would just put down to her being a stroppy bint.  Some people are just that way out, and I'd have treated it as water off a duck's back.  However, shoving you is just plain out of order and petty, as is shouting abuse at you.  Despite her being bigger than you, I'd have been tempted to deck her if I was you.

Never heard of rules or etiquette regarding passing on any particular side??  It's a running route, not a dual carriageway.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

If I'm trying to get past people who are in my way I'll give a wheezy "'scuse me chaps, coming past on the right" or something like that. Works for the vast majority.

If it's a busy race and getting past folk means weaving around a bit I try to glance behind and indicate that I'm veering left or right.

If someone's trying to get past me I'll move over if possible.

If someone is wearing headphones I assume they're in their own little world and are unaware of me so I just ignore and barge through.

It is a race not a stroll in the park but a little courtesy is nice. Other than to the mp3 muppets.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Pudge wrote (see)

Giving you the daggers I would just put down to her being a stroppy bint.  Some people are just that way out, and I'd have treated it as water off a duck's back.  However, shoving you is just plain out of order and petty, as is shouting abuse at you.  Despite her being bigger than you, I'd have been tempted to deck her if I was you.

Mostly this, short of the physical violence.  I would've given her some serious fcuking verbal though.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

with mutts on this, a 'coming thru to the left/right' works well.
    More so funnily enough where I run near work (London Embankment) where you get groups of work runners 3 / 4 abreast.
    Headphone geeks (in races) get the respect they deserve, so a nudge/barge as I go past if there is no room. Well they didn't hear the 'keep left' did they?

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    Pudge wrote (see)

Mostly this, short of the physical violence.  I would've given her some serious fcuking verbal though.

MP3 woman started it!  An eye for an eye and all that.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

OK, enough of a "counter-nudge" to make her stumble with mild peril.  image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I mean, I'm very much in the middle of the field and am never going to win anything so it doesn't really matter if I'm a couple of places up or down.

But we should tip our hats to DF3 in gratitude for the leading pack perspective on this image

• seren nos wrote (see)

in a race you overtake wherever you see there is a gap......image

Steve Ovett was highly skilled in that department image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

to be fair i have heard of passing on the right eg run on the left in trail running.

however if they have left room for you to pass on the left they clearly are not following the rules they expect of you.  So balls to them.

for me, If there is space then i pass with care,  if im getting blocked then they get moved aside if they do not move when i politely ask.

• Joe Volcano wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

in a race you overtake wherever you see there is a gap......image

Steve Ovett was highly skilled in that department image

Did you see any of the European Indoor championships races? They make running on a 400m outdoor track look like a bunch of people saying 'after you, Claude'.

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

I was pretty pee,d off by her behaviour tbh , what is it about mp3 ,s...............and iphones aswell !...........another woman I passed had hers in a strap on her arm it fell out and broke into bits .........she caused a bit of a kerfuffle trying get all the bits up.In future I,ll avoid that race and stick to off roading , never had any probs before, .

• I blame the headphones. They should be banned altogether from races. A blight and a menace.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

if it was a road race and a half, it was probably a pretty big race in terms of entrants? Whether or no that's the case, you find a lot of idiots in the alrger ones. 

I ran a 10k in Littlehampton last year - the whole thing was for a local hospice - but by God there were some idiots! Not letting you pass, cuting in front of you, stopping dead with no warning (mainly beacsue they's started too early and run out of puff).

I ran teh London Marathon in 2000 so I've done the whole big-crowd-thing, but now I tend towwards small events. Less idiots. More fun.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Nicky - some race organisers do ban headphones - check out the Trionium races.

• If you overtake me on the right and then cut in and slow down, you'll get a shove in the back or a hand on your back. If you overtake me on the left in the gutter of the road, then it's my mistake for leaving a gap on the inside.

Wearing headphones in a race is akin to drunk driving in that you're immediately in the wrong if any bad happens. Note race rules are being reviewed by UKA so voice your concerns now about the dreaded droids.

• Depends who it is your passing.

If it's just some random then give them an arms width if possible just to be corteous.

If it's David Falconer3 then id suggest getting as close in as possible on a tight left handed bend with a thorny hedge on the outside of him then begin to pretend your a horse and jockey and begin to pretend to whip your own backside and shouting YAHOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEHARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH GOOOOOOO ONNNNNNNN as you kick and buck and bite the shite out of him.

All being well he'll fall into the thorny hedge, a thorn will puncture both his eyes and he'll have to be put down immediately.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Gareth Edwards 21 wrote (see)

pretend your a horse and jockey

you're

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

he he ........thats conjured up quite an image.........poor David image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

That`s a bit harsh on DF3.

It would be a boring place without him.

• PhilPub wrote (see)

you're

Shhhhhh, l know it winds him up.

PhilPub wrote (see)

you're

Millsy1977 wrote (see)

That`s a bit harsh on DF3.

It would be a boring place without him.

l bet it was fine before he came along though too!

• Does anyone think Gareth Edwards 21 is an alt of DF3?

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

You just need to develop sharp elbows, especially when it is crowded near the start of a race. 10+ minute milers, starting to far forward, are a pain in the neck. They should expect a bit of jostling. How else are they going to learn that they should line up in the correct starting pen for their abilities.