RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Anyway saw my physio tonight. His first words were it must have been 12 months since we last saw you so there must be a marathon coming up ....

I took him through what happened and before he examined me he said that it is not uncommon for long distance runners to get sudden tightness in the hammy's and calfs.

He said that if it was torn it would take 6-8 weeks to recover but it sounded unlikley as I had been able to run last night.

He examined it, quickly put his thumb / fingers on the precise spot where it was tender and after a few minutes of manipulating it said that it was unlikley that I had even a Level 1 tear more likely just a strain.

He said that all that was needed was some good old fashioned panel bashing and he proceeded to give it a serious massage.

It will be tender for the rest of tonight and tomorrow.

He was comfortable that I can go and run Paris but of course there is a risk that it could pop whilst there.

He said that there are tapes I could use to pull it together but he would recommend a compression sleeve with shorts.

He advised me to start slow and build up and see how it goes. He recommended using shorter strides during the early phase.

He tested my overall flexibility on both legs and said that theye should be betweem 70% to 90% and that for long distance runners he prefers to see it close to 90%. Mine were both just over the 70% mark so he suggested that I concentrate more on stretching longer term.

He also advised me to make sure that I reverse my runs on the running track to prevent niggles developing from repetitive action.

He also advised me that if it gets tight during the race, to slow down and walk before stopping and stretching. Big mistake most people make is to stop abruptly and start stretching which only causes further strain.

So I am definitely going.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sunshine forecast for Paris on Sunday. What is that ??? image

• Sounds like a result under the circumstances Carl!

Delighted for you that you are now confirmed as running...... if anything you have no pressure now to run "a time" and can just ease into the run and enjoy.

Then it will be a bonus if you feel good, things come together and you end up running sub 4.

Good man! 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    OK, so let me get this right. We have people here who have issues with:

Feet (various)
    Calves
    Shins
    Knees
    Hamstrings
    Hips
    Arses
    Groins
    Appendixes (or lack of)
    Bowels and/or stomachs
    Nipples (individually or in pairs)
    Elbows
    Teeth
    Throats and/or noses
    Sanity

Do you think between us we can construct one fully-functioning runner image ?

Just thought you should know that I am not alone. There is a long list og injured travelling to Paris.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Something else to stress about now. The tunnels along the Seine embankment apparantly interfere with the gps signal. Not sure what this means for tracking my run. Must find out more.

• Old school watch +mile markers + pace band... Just in case
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - glad to see you're making the trip. Have you told Mrs Carl yet ?? On your list of things to take with you did you include sun block, de-icer, sledge and swimming trunks ?
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Mrs Carl now knows that I am going but has come down with the lurghi. I am hoping that she makes a rapid recovery otherwise I will be feeling guilty leaving her with the 3 little angels for the weekend.

I suspect that at the 8.45am start it will be quite cold and will probably struggle to get out of single digits.

The question is whether I should run with a base layer or hope that it is a little warmer and just don the t-shirt.

You have got to bear in mind that I have not had a run yet this year without my hat and glovers, I have amost always had long tights on and always had my warm running top over a minimum of a base layer and sometimes an extra layer. I also have had a snood to keep out the cold.

Too many decisions ....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    In 2 days at this time I will be shuffling along at the start. After 3 weeks of an emotional roller coaster hard to believe that I am actually going to go and line up n the start line.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Go on Carl, you can do it !!!!!!!!!!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. I cant believe that yet again there was a frost when I took the dogs for a walk this morning. Although it's a lovely clear day here it's bloomin freezing. Allegedly it's going to be 7 degress on Saturday and 9 on Sunday in Sheffield and a whopping 11 degress on Sunday in Paris with sunshine and a gentle breeze. Good racing conditions for Carl hopefully !

Tomorrow will be my first run in a week and a few days after my physio so hopefully all the stretching and strengthening exercies will have worked. I've found myself a nice little off road route to run so I can take it nice and easy and there should be less impact on the knee while it gets up to strength.

Have a good day everyone

• Hi guys!

Just catching up with what's been going on here after a lovely week away hill walking (will a couple of runs thrown in too!!) 

Carter, has your number for Mancheser arrived now? Mine was waiting i the doorstep as a sad reminder that I won't be needing it image It looks like your situation is improving, albeit slowly??

Carl, you mentioned tunnels and GPS? It was the same for the Liverpool marathon, as we ran through the Mersey tunnel. Basically you will just lose the signal, then your Garmin picks it back up again when you come out and effectively draws a straight line between the two points. I then spent the sencnd half menatally adding on time, to see if I was on target...The better way is to know the pace your aiming for as that is not affected. image

• Not long now Carl, it's excellent news  to hear it is all systems go. Even the weather seems to be trying for you, the conditions expected are pretty near perfect for distance running. image

Rachel - I have had to withdraw before ( no Catholic jokes please boys) and it really does suck (STOP IT!!) when your race pack arrive to rub it in doesn't it. I found being drunk on a beach on the actual race day helped too.

I had another run today where I just went out with no real expectations other than to do 8 miles, We have our inaugural Parkrun tomorrow morning and we have been flooded with volunteers which is not only great because it shows there is an interest in it but that I get to run it rather than marshall which I am thoroughly looking forward to. With that in mind I wanted to keep a little back so I could give it a bit of a lash tomorrow and then do my 20 miles (with obvious potential to be more being me) on Sunday comfortably so a nice moderate pace would do the trick nicely.

As per the norm didn't quite go to plan and I found myself really wanting to push it, I  got into a nice rhythm and tried to keep uppping it slightly throughout once it was obvious I was in no mood for a jaunt.

Splits: 8:26 8:09 8:28 8:12 8:17 7:55 7:37 7:09

On reflection I don't mind doing a few harder runs than my plan suggests this week as I'm away to a funeral next week for a few days and I think the week could go a wee bit awry, although obviously the running gear is coming with me. I'll be back to do my LSR but the rest will be a bit ad hoc

How exciting is it that we have our first marathon runner going this weekend!!?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Evening all. Just about to start my packing.

Just in case I forget tomorrow, would just like to thank you all for the advice, words of encouragement, supporta and general good fun over the last few months.

It has been one hell of a ride.

I have learnt so much from all of you.

Whatever happens on Sunday is now out of my hands. I have done the training. I have not had the best of tapers but it is what it is.

All I can do now is turn up and take part. If the hammy goes then it goes and I cannot control that. If it does not and I get comfortable then we will see what the outcome might be.

My plan is to take it easy and the start and ease myself into a comfortable pace. I am aiming to get to mile 16 in good shape and oif that happens I will then start thinking about lifting the pace through to mile 21. If the hammy is still ok by this time, I will then push for the finish as it is only another 5 miles.

My overall objective is to finsih. Nothing more. Anything below 4 hours is a bonus.

imageimageimageimage

This could just be me being brave ......

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Orishas - definitely it is the way you tell em that has me lol every time I see one of your posts.

Best of luck with everything next week. A few missed runs is not the end of the world. Sometimes family stuff really does matter. You have loads of good running under your belt so when the time comes for your marathon you will be in good shape.

Rachel - good to have you back. Loads going on here while you were enjoying your hols. One of the tunnels is about 500m long so yes the GPS will be lost. But at least I know and will be prepared for it.

Sort of beginning to feel real now. Am beginning to get anxious.

Just had a mountain of pasta. I feel ill. Carb loading is just so horrible.
  • Carl - best of luck for Sunday and have a great trip. You're training has gone brilliantly. Being ill wil have ensured you are well rested. As long as the hamstring holds up you'll do really well. I have complete faith in you!

• Bonne chance Carl!! You had better let us know how you get on as soon as you can!! We'll all be desperate to hear the news!!! image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Packing is done and now off to get some rest.

Bonne nuit !! image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your trip Carl and have a great race. Hope you got everything in your suitcase !!

Good luck mate
  • Day from hell - just finished work 10 mins ago image .... (managed to squeeze a 10 miler in earlier though so not all bad)

Carl - all the very best for Sunday.... suck it all in & enjoy the whole experience image 

Looking forward to the first marathon race report from you!

• Apparently Paris is on Eurosport. Not sure I'll get to see much as I'll be at Legoland!

• Carl -Thanks for the advice about not worrying, it was very sound logic, you are right it is very easy to get caught up in the whole thing of running and training, the number of threads on here of the "I missed one run my life is in ruins" variety is testament to that. 

I'm fortunate that my race is the last on this thread and I'm a little ahead of where I need to be so I have wiggle room. Also this race is unlikely to be the one to pull out a great time this year so the pressure to be "perfect" on the day isn't there.

Well that's my excuses in nice and early have a great time mate and can't wait to hear all about it.

Spoons- Legoland is on CBeebies, I'll have to catch one or the other of them on Iplayer.

I'm off this morning to set a PB for 5k at Parkrun, I've never timed it before so I am fairly confident, I'm quite sanguine about it all, not only is the route fully marshalled and signposted and I helped to measure and map the course but is fully contained within the confines of a park that is fenced in by walls built by the Romans.

I can't get lost can I?

Can I?

Ricky wrote -"Carl - all the very best for Sunday.... suck it all in & enjoy the whole experience image"

That pasta will be spaghetti presumably then? i do love my pasta but for a good month after any race I could quite happily never see a single crumb of the stuff again.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Am on my way to St Pancras to catch the train. Sun is shining in London but it is still cold.

All getting very real now.

Must buy jelly beans.

Sleep was hard to come by last night. Funny how these things keep praying on ones mind.

Also amazing how much stuff you think you need to bring.

Got my porridge for the morning. Have checked with the hotel and there is not a kettle in the room so I will need them to send up boiling water.

Also brought bagels and banana, water, sports drink, granola bars.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Oirish - best of luck with the parkrun. Hopefully in your case it will only be 5k and not some random distance !!!!!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, Paris is on Eurosport as are Boston, Amsterdam, Berlin and NYC. I googled it a few weeks ago image

Carl - best of luck. It sounds like you've sorted your strategy so try and enjoy the occasion! I'm excited with all the Paris talk and I'm not even in it! As well as Carl, there is Emmy from the forums who I'm 'following' and I have a mate aiming for sub-3. I'll be watching on TV willing you all on!
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Enjoy yourself Carl. Try and post your number so we can look out for you.

I went out for a gentle few miles this morning. Got to 2.5 miles and had to call it a day as the knee still hurts. It's not looking too promising now.....
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks. It is getting a little exciting. Am sitting on the train waiting for it to leave. It is delayed by 30 mins. I am told by those already in Paris that it is a nice day. Am planning to meet the Paris treedies at the Arc tonight and go for a pasta meal with them.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Running Number 20737.

About to cross the channel. No going back now !!!!
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Carter - I would not panic just yet if I were you. You have put on some miles over the last few months so when you are standing on the start line you will know that you can get round the 26.2 miles.

The important thing is to give yourself time to recover before stressing about whether you can run Manchester.

If running on hard ground is an issue, are you able to go to a gym ?

Maybe try running on the dreadmill as this will reduce the impact. To maintain fitness you could spend some time on the x trainer if the dreadmill is still causing pain.

It's all about maintaining fitness, reducing impact and giving yourself the best chance of recovery.

Maybe you need 2 sessions with the Physio next week to get the massager etc as this is what will help.

What do you think spoons ?