Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Mausey. We've met before so stop saying ridiculous stuff about yourself. You're lovely.

Carl, glad the physio has sorted you out. Just relax and go with it. As Radar Sal says, dont over rely on Garmin timing. Best approach is to have an idea of what times you should be making at eack km marker, although as the race goes on, doing mental math gets difficult as energy runs low.

Not sure where to do the In The Long Run photo where we will all be together, so will probably take lots of pics all over the place and will be alert to when i see you all.

Dont forget that Friday night, 2 sleeps before a race, is the most significant one for good running performance. Try to get a good sleep tonight if you can. Think about smiling and holding your arms in the air as you triumphantly finish the race, bringing to succesful completion all your hard training image
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

hee hee hee, the eggy hunt.  I have visions of Eggy sprinting around Paris hiding behind poles and the like while ATM does her best mad scottish woman act.

Carl D wrote (see)

RS - Thanks. Not sure why I am stressing about this as my goal is to get round but do you think the footpod would be cheaper at the expo than in a running shop in London ? This is probably a silly question.

It's a question...I'm a bit of a cynic and even when there's stuff on "sale" at the expo I really don't think it is.  They've got 35,000 + supporters guaranteed running mad people passing by.  The prices aren't going to be cheap.

I wanna go to paris NOW!  Can't believe I have to go to work and try and concentrate image and like get stuff done imageimage People are expecting me to be far to constructive at the moment.

• Am working today too RS. Anyway, me, Leeds Ron, Jimbob's sexy thong wearing cousin Ingrid, Kaz's daughters, maybe mr JusT and any other hangers on who joined us at the Arc de Triomphe at 8am (my suggestion, get there 5-10mins earlier)... We will pop up with our various flags around km8, km20.5 and towards the end around km41.

You will see us before we see or recognise you so make sure to shout and yell and we'll give you a big cheer in return. Our flags should hopefully be hanging in the sky, not at crowd level. It's a big psychological boost to see a friendly face in the crowd, so look out for us! BIG GRIN
  • The Pasta Papa list. Some will meet up at the Arc at 1730 and walk down. I will wait around the Roosevelt metro (?) at 1745 and then we can all go in together spot on 1800.

The Jimbob

Jimbob's mate Dan

Jimbob's friend Dan's American ex work colleague Molly

Jimbob's lovely cousin Ingrid

Eggy

Weedy

Emmy

Trevor Olver

ATM

Orbutt, Mrs. Orbutt

Iain Moore

Simon MacDoughnut + wife

PC91 + 2

Radar Sal

Running Rodent + friend Bec

Danirr + wife

James Rickert + 1 (aka Superfreak and Superfreakette)

Dark Vader + 1

Tricky Dicky

Marathon Maus

Jus T and MrT plus 2

Larri and wife

TartanPimpernel

KeyserSuze + mr KS
  • Very envious of all you people already in Paris - another day at work for me.

For the Francophones - apparently there's an interview with Paula Radcliffe in L'Equipe tomorrow, talking about marathon running.
  • Just read some bits about Garmin losing signal in tunnel, now panicking...nothing I can do now I guess as I don't want to fork out for a footpod. AGH...oh well at least I know in advance and won't panic when I look at my watch and go WTF!!

Paris tomorrow - off to London today...just want to say a HUGE thank you to all for keeping me sane  and putting a smile on my face during my weeks of lurking hereimage

Safe journey to you all and have a great run!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    TD it Would be really handy if you decide whether you'll be standing on the left or the right so we know which side to look for you and avoid having to do motorway style swerving
  • chasmiles wrote (see)

Just read some bits about Garmin losing signal in tunnel, now panicking...nothing I can do now I guess as I don't want to fork out for a footpod. AGH...oh well at least I know in advance and won't panic when I look at my watch and go WTF!!

I agree.  I'm not going to buy a footpod either, but I feel much better knowing in advace that the tunnels will mess with the readings.   If you're prepared for it, that sort of thing is easy to deal with.  If it hits you unexpectedly mid-race, it can sometimes throw off your conentration.  

• Ooh, I'm to get the train, see you soon Paris.....and hopefully all you Forum Runners. Excited and nervous, and a wee bit sickly, hope the breakkie stays down......
  • Eggy, Iain et al - can I come to the movies too? Don't care what I see? I saw bits of 'Lincoln' on the plane from Australia and it was good. Would happily see it again to fill in some blanks where I fell asleep.

Am at the airport waiting to board now! Hurrah!
  • How many days left Winston?

http://www.speechbuddy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Winston-Churchill-Flashing-Victory-Sign.jpg

Winston says the war's nearly over, Sudetenland's in sight, the big push commences 8.45am Sunday.

In other news, I stumbled across this on my travels through the internet...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ce75c3c9f94e3651d1e3add79e74d1ac/tumblr_mjo5gloG8m1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg

• I'm just off to Paris now. Expo this afternoon/evening and then resting up tomorrow before the big race on Sunday! Excited!

Hope you all have a safe trip to Paris and a great run on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing how we all get on!
  • Weedy - that made me laugh so much I'm sore. Brilliant!

Listening to 6music, final packing and The Stone Roses' I Wanna Be Adored comes on.

This can only be a good thing.

• Just about to head for Abedeen. Stomach already doing cartwheels.

Yer-maj, A gazelle? No! Don't you listen to a word I say? A camel. You want to be like a camel!
  • MM - sure, no problem, I'm not sure if anyone else is but can discuss at the breakfast run - are you doing that?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky - are you sure that you didn't submit that piece to the newspaper? We know that you love your cycling!
  • In Paris since tuesday, poor weather. Now heading to the Expo, you can spot me by my dyed blonde hair (anything to raise funds!) Bib #15059 See you all there! And good luck for Sunday!!

• Marathon hair cut done.  Little sleep...too excited and nervous about forgetting something.  Leaving for the airport after lunch.  See you all soon image 

• Hi all, just waiting for the taxi to tatke us to the train station for the train to get to London, then on the Eurostar at about 3pm. Checked the packing list a few times!

I'll tie my green ribbon around my bag so please come and say hi if you spot me at the expo tomorrow. If not, we're aiming to be at the Arc at 5.30pm tomorrow evening for PP, then again just before 8am for the RACE!

Good luck to all, looking forward to meeting you IRL. 

Happy travels!

• Stuck in work and can't concentrate , another day before I leave for paris

Safe journey to everyone traveling today
  • At my hotel.  Too early to check in, so will do some work... sadly I have brought a mountain of work with me..   

The hotel wifi is going to get a serious spanking today...  and probably tomorrow....!  image

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Really jealous of all you people already there/on route. Last day in the office before my morning flight tomorrow.

Safe journey everyone and look forward to meeting you there.
  • yer_maj wrote (see)
    TD it Would be really handy if you decide whether you'll be standing on the left or the right so we know which side to look for you and avoid having to do motorway style swerving

We'll stick on the RIGHT hand side Yer_Maj, but you won't miss us. My flag pole is 6m long so we'll hold it above the road!  Think I might bring along a St.George's flag too for someone elese to wave about (it's impossible to have one flag which represents us in all our lovely diversity!).

Emmy H wrote (see)
    Tricky - are you sure that you didn't submit that piece to the newspaper? We know that you love your cycling!

I'd seen that newspaper clipping before. It's very funny. I was heartened to hear the news this morning that LA has been blocked from competing in an Oldie's swimming race. Quite right. He's unrepentant about his cheating. For everyone who's worked hard to complete a training programme, you'd all be p_ssed off if you knew the person running in front of you had loaded themselves with drugs to make life easier for themselves to stay in front of you. It's just so anti-sporting ideal. Grr.

Lovely day everyone. image

• Emmy - thanks for the text.  Still waiting for the postman to see if DRL's gel-belt arrives.  Don't worry if not as I have sewn a few stiches in the elastic to keep the gels in-situ; a new one would calm the nerves though image  

• TD - would you like a nice big Saltire to go with the St George's flagimage ?
  • Safe travelling to you all - have a fab time and I just know you'll all remember to ENJOYimage and you're all fantastic people .......... 

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    TD - would you like a nice big Saltire to go with the St George's flagimage ?

That'd be good for Kaz's kids...and better than a chavy Ingerlund flag image

• Scott the walker wrote (see)
    Stuck in work and can't concentrate , another day before I leave for paris

Safe journey to everyone traveling today

Same here, not leaving until tomorrow. Getting the 9.30am Eurostar. I have lots of nervous energy building up and have absoutely no motivation to do any work. I think tomorrow i'll be a stress-head for the whole journey, well actually until i register. then the stress will change to nerves,

Safe journey to everyone, wishing you all well and success for Sunday. 

• imageimageAllez allez allez - good luck to you all of you running this weekendimage  PBs on their way!!