Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Caballo - I've read "Born to Run" and couldn't put it down.  In fact I leant it out amongst running friends about three years ago and haven't had it back yet, so it's gaining quite a following round here.  Another good one is "Marathon Running for Mortals" by John "The Penguin" Bingham - more of a manual than a tale but really inspirational and funny with it.

We're planning our last 20 miler for Sunday, heading out towards Chapel-en-le-Frith.  Last time we did something similar it was almost all uphill (we only ran one way, drove back) so at least we'll be giving ourselves one last monster run.  After that the marathon will seem boringly flat....I hope!

Still no number, although I too am in car park N2 - I wonder how many laps of that I'll have to do to make up the 26.2?

• Auntie Ninja wrote (see)

Caballo - I've read "Born to Run" and couldn't put it down.  In fact I leant it out amongst running friends about three years ago and haven't had it back yet, so it's gaining quite a following round here.  Another good one is "Marathon Running for Mortals" by John "The Penguin" Bingham - more of a manual than a tale but really inspirational and funny with it.

We're planning our last 20 miler for Sunday, heading out towards Chapel-en-le-Frith.  Last time we did something similar it was almost all uphill (we only ran one way, drove back) so at least we'll be giving ourselves one last monster run.  After that the marathon will seem boringly flat....I hope!

Still no number, although I too am in car park N2 - I wonder how many laps of that I'll have to do to make up the 26.2?

Yeah it's a great read. It was the inspiration behind my username, although sadly Caballo Blanco has since passed away, (whilst running obviously!)

I'll get that other book ordered now so thanks for the recommendation.

No number for me yet either but hopefully it will be there when I get home, need a final bit of motivation before the 20 miler on Sunday

• No number for me either!

CB....I lived right near Bowker Vale tram stop, so I know sheepfoot lane.  TBH, I was a bit scared to go off near Cheetham Hill etc as I wasn't sure how safe it would be.  Once, I set off though on a short run and got lost right near Alan Turing Way, and I ended up doing about 11 miles!  It was during the day but I was panicking like mad!

I must start reading some of these books.  Saying that, I can't remember the last time I got to even read a magazine! 

Panda

• SB, Aaah. Just realised. my route is 700 feet not 700 metres. So your route is hillier - at about 1000 feet of "gain". That is rather hilly to say the least.  You confused me talking in miles and metres..................

• They'd have to catch me first, Redpanda image

• Eagerly awaiting my number. Silly postman didn't bring it. Car park ticket turned up yesterday though.

• PureManic wrote (see)

SB, Aaah. Just realised. my route is 700 feet not 700 metres. So your route is hillier - at about 1000 feet of "gain". That is rather hilly to say the least.  You confused me talking in miles and metres..................

Ha!  Yeah, it's a little fecker at times but i'm getting used to it.  I like it because theres some offroad aphalt involved and the roads up there aren't too busy.

RP - Know the area well but they're busy roads both for pedestrians and cars, no?  I prefer my quieter routes, I have to say.  Edenfield though, that's absolutely on the agenda.  I've been plotting a new route to take me up that way and to Rawtenstall and back.  Should be "fun"image

• i've booked into the Macdonald hotel round the corner from Picadilly. Hopefully i'll be able to get a decent night sleep on the Saturday and get the tram down to OT for the start of the race. My train back (from Picadilly) isn't until 7pm so I'm planning on leaving my bags at the hotel, having some food and beer with mates, then picking them up before i catch the train back.

• No number for me either!

CB....I lived right near Bowker Vale tram stop, so I know sheepfoot lane.  TBH, I was a bit scared to go off near Cheetham Hill etc as I wasn't sure how safe it would be.  Once, I set off though on a short run and got lost right near Alan Turing Way, and I ended up doing about 11 miles!  It was during the day but I was panicking like mad!

I must start reading some of these books.  Saying that, I can't remember the last time I got to even read a magazine! 

Panda

• hmmm, just a thought, but does anyone know if there will be showers at the end of the race? I'm guessing not, seems a bit of a luxury. I suppose i'll have to do with wet wipes then changing into my civvies before heading to the pub. Or I could take a small hand towel, and a flannel and have a commando wash in the disabled toilet. Otherwise i'll be stinking until i get home about 10pm that evening.

• Just stay stinking AG......everyone else will be!  Showers....LOL..image

Yes PM...it was very busy on pavements, and I remember it did my head in now you mention it.  As did having to stop at loads of traffic lights and going through the underpass near McDonalds!  I liked Heaton park though...but the hills killed me!

Panda

• yeah, why not. I've spent too long down south, clearly image

• RedPanda, CaballoBaldo: ah, all the familar road names - you're making me nostalgic! (I grew up in M'cr, but I'm now living in London).

Note: if you run down Sheepfoot Lane to Middleton Road, turn left, keep going past Heaton Park to the M60 (there's a subway you can take to cross the motorway roundabout , leaving the main road opposite the turning for Sainsbury's and going past the Three Arrows Pub) then take the next left hand turn, up Heywood Old Road, you can get to some nice quieter areas - e.g. go up to the top of the hill, past the "no vehicles" road on the left (Simister Lane), down the other side, past the next left (Simister Lane, Google names it as Blueball Lane, unsurfaced, unmarked) and a bit further on turn left into Simon Lane (unsurfaced, but does actually have a road name visible), that takes you via unsurfaced roads/tracks between fields to Simister Village - just make sure you turn left and go over the second motorway bridge or you'll end up going through a very overgrown bit and reach the motorway). After the second bridge over the motorway, turn right when you reach a surfaced road again (Simister Lane), keep going through Simister Village and you end up on Heywood Road leading past Heaton Park Reservoir and to Bury New Road, back at the other side of Heaton Park.

• Hi Debra!  I know that route!  I discovered it by accident one day and did it in reverse!

I would run up Bury Old (or New, I can't recall) road, and turn right by the Giant Cod (best chippie ever), then I would run along that road for about a mile, and it was nice and flat....then you came to Simister, with a pub on the left...dip down...then up that track past the farm...and that WAS a hill!  short but bloody sharp....I was always gasping at the top.....Then turn right, and as you say, past the 3 Arrows pub, and I would often cut through the park and finish my run near the main entrance off Sheepfoot lane...it was about 6 miles, but it was one of the nicer runs round there...how funny that you knew about it tooimage

Ginger...you will be moaning about the rain soonimage!

Panda

• ......*****I think that was the name of the chippie..they do a foot long fish, I remember, and it was bloody great*****

• Redpanda: I lived on Heywood Old Road. I still use a version of that as a short run when I'm back visiting family. Glad you know about it - it's s nice little "countryside" route.

And yes, that should have said Bury OLD Road at the end - Oops!

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

AgentGinger - there are no showers but there's a leisure centre nearby apparently (think it was Stretford Leisure Centre) - thought I might head in there and use the showers.  I have a 4 hour drive back to Portsmouth afterwards with a stop off at Matlock to see friends on the way so would really like a shower afterwards - if I can still stand!!  Where you coming from?

• Dear me Sally, I don't know how you can contemplate that after running a marathon! Can you not stop another night? You would be welcome to have a shower at my house of its on your way? I live just near the m6, m56 and m6!, Google lymm and if it's on your way I don't mind. Mind you, I will probably be about two hours slower than you to finish!! X

Panda
  • ......*****I think that was the name of the chippie..they do a foot long fish, I remember, and it was bloody great*****

• Why do my posts keep repeating themselves?!  I wonder if this one is a sign my baby needs a chippie tea?!image

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Redpanda, that's so kind of you, thanks so much but Matlock is kind of the other way and only about an hour and a half from Manchester so won't be too bad.  Don't know what I was thinking really, entering a marathon so far from home - still, at least I won't see anyone I know when I'm crawling the last few miles.  Doubt very much you'll be 2 hours behind me either - I know you're pregnant but obviously have loads more marathon experience than me...

Don't really want to stay another night as, with 2 teenage boys left at home, I'm already worried about it being party time down here whilst we're away Saturday night!!!

• ha  ha....fair enough!

I hope you get a shower.  I know Stretford Leisure centre IS close by.  I have been there myself once (even though it's not my local one) to take the baby swimming, and it is members.  Saying that, you can swim on a "pay as you go" basis I am sure, so you could pretent to go swimming and pay, but only use the showers!  I think the pool closes at about 4pm though, so don't be too late...I am sure you will be there before then.

Believe me...I will be WAY behind you.  I will almost be trying to go as slow as possible (within reason), just as I will probably spend the race being paranoid! 

Right...I am going to try and find some maternity running tights now online...like hens teeth they are!

I hope my number comes soon, I am starting to feel left out!

Panda

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    RP, don't worry your not the only one without a number. I'm still waiting. Hopefully it'll arrive over the weekend.
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for my number and reading some of the posts didn't realise they send you a car park ticket. I booked months ago received email confirmation for N1 plus a seat number. Should I expect a ticket in the post? What time is everyone getting to the car parks?
  • Andrew Warrender. Same with me. I also booked the car park ticket ages ago and just have an email with a "seat" number on it - in N1 I think. I was just going to turn up at about 8.00 a.m with the email. No running number either for me yet.

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

I've had my race number through the post.  I also booked car parking but only have email confirmation with a seat number also so I guess that's all we need.  I was planning to get there about 8 am - is this early enough - I'll probably have been up half the night though!!!

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Just received a car park ticket through the post.

Need to get back to work next week, seem to be spending my life on this forum...

• It looks like we'll all be arriving at the same time - expect jams round Old Trafford!  Does anyone have any idea exactly where these myserious car parks are?  I may be worrying over nothing here, but I like to know where I'm going before I go, and on marathon day will probably be tetchy enough without getting lost into the bargain! 

• Auntie Ninja wrote (see)

It looks like we'll all be arriving at the same time - expect jams round Old Trafford!  Does anyone have any idea exactly where these myserious car parks are?  I may be worrying over nothing here, but I like to know where I'm going before I go, and on marathon day will probably be tetchy enough without getting lost into the bargain! 

They're right next to the ground (I think there's a map on the Marathon website) so they're an absolute pain if you decide to park there on a match day and most "regulars" don't. We always get the tram to United matches or park on the street a good 10 minutes away from the ground.

The bigger issue would be checking which roads around OT are closed and when in terms of getting into the car park and then getting away afterwards although Trafford Park would get you to the M60 without encoutnering too many issues