Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Eggy - thanks for the tip
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

i have to say my minimal french has seen me through. hqvent quite seen chaps singing on the train trying to get money before. nearly bought some safety pins until i realised there is some with the number. 200k pins i zorked thqt out as.

i am now well into espressos.

• At the expo. Got my number. No queues at all.
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

i was going to change pen. decided against it. i can still run 4 hours fro, the 4.15 pen i thought to myself.

• Sitting in my car in Primrose Hill waiting for Mrs Jim to text me to collect her from work. Seen the dentist, needs to do root filling on my tooth, gonna cost 350 quid DAMN! Got antibiotics, scoffed the first 3 tablets at his reccomendation to try to alleviate the pain in time for Sunday morning. I'll be more cheery tomorrow
  • That's me bibbed.  Headed to the normal exhibition hall and nearly found myself in the spa exhibition .... this year it is in the last hall heading towards the river (just behind the bubble and BP garage) and if you are taking the tram from Cité universitaire then the closest stop is Desnouettes.  For anyone interested in architecture I can recommend wandering around the Cité universitaire, the 40 odd international student houses are built in the style of their country, the Swiss one is a Le Corbusier design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9_Internationale_Universitaire_de_Paris

Le Jimbob (love it!), that sounds awful.  If you have probs when you are here (and crossing everything you don't) then this might come in handy

Services d'urgences dentaires sur Paris

Vous pouvez vous rendre aux Urgences Stomatologiques (et dentaires) de l'hôpital de la Pitié-Salpêtrière au 83 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75013 Paris  Tél : 01 42 17 72 47   Il vous est également possible de contacter SOS Urgences Stomatologiques et Dentaires  au 87 boulevard du Port Royal 75013 Paris  Tél : 01 43 36 36 00

• LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    At the expo. Got my number. No queues at all.

Nothing for me either. But they are set up for something special in terms of queuing, just based on the fences outside looking like Eurodisney type of crowd management system, and there are about 50 people that check the medical certificate.

Expo is a bit pants, didn't spend a Euro at all in there. It seems more expensive than what I can buy online in the UKand I didn't need any emergency items.

BEst was teh women that was trying to sell me a Lanzarote race. I asked if it was close to La Santa, just so I could guess what it is like as I have been there a few times. She answered, No, it is nearer to Africa than to Spain.

• Looking at the weather forecast, it looks to be starting at about 1 degree and moving up to roughly 10 degrees (depending on your time!). My question is...

... is anyone crazy enough to just wear a vest top? I get really overheated when running but this is my first marathon and I'm not sure if I'll massively regret a vest at those sort of temperatures. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy after a few miles but... any input from more experienced runners?!

Good luck to all of you for tomorrow!

• I don't think the expo is the right place to buy things unless you want a souvenir or you forgot something. I managed to have an interesting conversation with person at the Vibram five fingers stand but I wasn't quite convinced about it.
  • These last few days it hasn't warmed up until the afternoon, so I think I'm sticking with long sleeved top.  Will decide last minute on Saturday night .... or maybe even Sunday am!

• I went for a run this morning near Porte D'Auteuil. At the 35km marker, there were few velib available (those are bikes that you can just rent). I know I am going to grab one them when I see those bikes on Sunday.
  • I've never been to an expo before, was def an interesting experience. Really had to hunt around for the desk to change pens, and in the end we got tutted at for walking the wrong way trying to go back to the right desk (it's not like it's Ikea!) Anyway, all done now and enjoying our apartment and monoprix.

Anyone have any clues where we could pick up a pretty green ribbon? Thought about trying to knick some of the Schneider tape at the expo, but didn't fancy the French telling off, again... Thought about buying some green shoelaces, but...
  • Bib gotten, pen changed now fooood!!

Nearly missed our connection in Frankfurt due to them changing the departure gate from what was on our boarding passes....... Rather colourful language ensued! Flat 'ok'.

Absolutely shattered so should definitely sleep tonight.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Safe journeys one and all. X
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Jus T - probably had them tutting as you as myself and many others had been hacking them off since morning, trying to go out the entrance, then taking short cuts through the mysterious green curtains as I was damned if I was going all the way back round.

Got our numbers this morning. Had a walk to the start & finish, both easily accessible from our hotel. Think I'll be along to the Arc on Sunday morning, probably minus my friends as our hotel's not doing breakfast til 7 am. They're not do bothered about being early as they're further back the pens.

One of said friends almost had her bag picked today in the Trocadero metro station. We went in with tickets, two girls behind us didn't, and as one of them moved in and reached for my friend's bag I noticed, stopped, and gave her the death stare. She exclaimed 'you scared me!' and repeated this while about turning and going back the way she came. Lucky escape!
  • Good luck on Sunday, guys. Hope you have good weather (better than here - 50cm of fresh snow overnight. Did anyone tell Miss Winter it's April and she's not welcome here anymore?) and enjoyable experience (as always).
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Clag - lucky escape. Well done on the death stare. This will be my first trip to Paris alone so I'm a little concerned of being cornered. I guess I'll need to put on my 'Belgian arrogance'image

The weather report looks like -1 in the morning. They're recommending:

- long sleeve Tshirt

- Tshirt

- gloves and beanie

- tights.

Dress prepared! See you all tomorrow.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Got bib.Got wifi in cafe. Soon to get food... image
  • Well Im here.  Had a light Vietnamese meal and my first wine since the summer of 2008.

Despite a 30 minute delay the journey was easy enough. Pleased to be back, though a call just before boarding to tell me my eldest brother's wife collapsed and died this morning does take the   edge off a little. C'est la vie. Or perhaps not in this case.

• Dannirr wrote (see)
    Expo done, number secured. Excellent and quick too.

Unsure about breakfast run as another dray off the for might be more sensible. Not that I am.

Iain and other movie goers - anything is fine with me. Where / when do we meet up? I'm right by the Arc.

Dannirr - I'm meeting TD at about 1pm in Montmartre, how's the Arc at 2, and then we'll find somewhere and wander over to P Papas after the flick?

ATM wrote (see)

ATM - I forgot the bib! I'm going to be freeing!

Eggy - thanks for advice re: pen change, very easy. Overall a very smooth operation compared to last year.

Did I need to register for the Breakfast Run or do I just turn up as we've planned?

Ps. A word to those who haven't travelled yet - it is colder here today than in Newcastle upon Tyne i.e freezing. I'm planning on using a long sleeve skin, t-shirt on top and some throwaway stuff for the freeze standing around at the start.

• DLR - that's awful news, very sorry to hear.

• God DLR that's a shocker. Condolences to your family mate.

Emmy. Once we meet you'll have The Bison to protect you. Dan will see 'em off GRRR. I'll text you in morning when I get through the channel tunnel x x
  • Dlr - thinking of u and family.
  • DLR, so sorry to hear about your sil, condolences to the family.

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

MM - sure, no problem, I'm not sure if anyone else is but can discuss at the breakfast run - are you doing that?

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    Expo done, number secured. Excellent and quick too.

Unsure about breakfast run as another dray off the for might be more sensible. Not that I am.

Iain and other movie goers - anything is fine with me. Where / when do we meet up? I'm right by the Arc.

Dannirr - I'm meeting TD at about 1pm in Montmartre, how's the Arc at 2, and then we'll find somewhere and wander over to P Papas after the flick?

ATM wrote (see)

ATM - I forgot the bib! I'm going to be freeing!

Eggy - thanks for advice re: pen change, very easy. Overall a very smooth operation compared to last year.

Did I need to register for the Breakfast Run or do I just turn up as we've planned?

Ps. A word to those who haven't travelled yet - it is colder here today than in Newcastle upon Tyne i.e freezing. I'm planning on using a long sleeve skin, t-shirt on top and some throwaway stuff for the freeze standing around at the start.

Yep - I'll be at the breakfast run. I'll be at Metro Ecole Militaire between 830 and 845, but it sounds like you've hatched a plan. Happy to go along with either!

• DLR: very sorry for that news. That must be hard to handle right now.

Was really late getting into my hotel as I got on the wrong train, then got hopelessly lost walking to the hotel. Bib collected in record time but as everybody else has pointed out, it seems that they are expecting a big crowd tomorrow.

I thought there was way more stuff at the expo last year, but perhaps Halle 1 is larger, so it just seemed less. Was out of there quick smart.

Couldn't be bothered going to a restaurant for dinner - I'm knackered after an early start this morning, so good old Monop' came through with prepacked salad and some gravadlax. And maybe some berries and chocolate and yoghurt...I'd forgotten how awesome French yoghurt is. 

Sweet dreams everyone!

• DLR - how awful. Especially if it's sudden like that. Hope you're OK.

TJB - hope the tooth's behaving itself. Sounds like you've done the right thing by getting it seen to ASAP.

Question for those who've been to the Expo - do they keep your medical certificate, or just look at it? And if so, do they accept a copy to keep, or do you have to hand over the original?
  • DLR - Condolenses ti all family, Hope your ok.

RR - They kept mine, was the original?? Sorry no help. But I have to admit, the whole process very quick, no queue.

Back at flat now and not impressed.........boiling water in a pot!!! grrrrrrr.......its the simple things we take for granted!

Kids shattered, its been a very long 24 hrs.......Bed very early I think!
  • RR - they kept my medical certificate.

DLR - Very sorry to hear your news. I hope you're ok.

Been to the expo, changed pens (am now in the 3h15 yellow pen) and spent a small fortune on merchandise!

Very good and efficient expo. Can't wait to get on with it now!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    DLR - Really sorry to hear your news. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

RR - They kept the medical certificate.

Iain - No need to register. It's just a turn up and do it run.

Dannirr - Give me a call tomorrow to sort something out cinema wise. Maybe someone can recommend one. The only one I know is the one around the corner from my hotel.