Another Food Thread - Healthy Lunch Ideas.....

Just in a need of new ideas.

I always eat salad where the protein is mainly tuna/chicken and carbs usually pasta/couscous

Then loads of the green stuff (leaves, cucumber, carrot, tomatoes) and occasionally broccoli/cauliflower/green beans.

But I'm bored. And running out of ideas. 

Not keen on tin soups, occasionally might have one but I don't find them particularly tasty. And sometimes I'll have a baked potato from the canteen at work.

What do people have in their salads?

What do people eat for lunch?

Comments

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I have some of last night's left overs.  Friday was a variation on lasagne with the pasta replaced by thinly sliced potatoes

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Throughout the winter I've cooked up big batches of home made veggie soup, and frozen them in lunch-sized pots to take into work and heat up for lunch.  Faves are spicy butternut squash, brocolli and cauliflower and leek and potato.  All healthy and low fat.  I take in a piece of bread and butter too.  My other fave is a humous and salad wrap  and a miso soup.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Today I went to an all-day workshop so I took a mixed salad (with dressing in separate pot to avoid sogginess), a few leftover ravioli from last night's dinner, some beetroot, some puy lentils (with vinaigrette dressing poured over while still warm), and some leftover home-made quiche. Oh, and some apples and plums and a cereal bar. I get hungry.

I always take salad for lunch because I don't like to eat loads of stodgy things in the middle of the day and need green stuff, but will add some protein (not necessarily carbs) to stop me getting hungry: cold meat, hardboiled eggs, cheese, nuts, or a combination.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Salads can be filling if they are combined with protein and carbs.  Trouble is that a lot of people tend to sacrifice those in preference for a bit of dressing or coleslaw which doesn't provide the same satisfaction.  Not that I'm against dressing and coleslaw if that is what you really want

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Love salads - try chick peas, puy lentils, quinoa, giant cous cous, wild rice, butter beans, roasted red peppers from jar, capers, olives, walnuts, pine kernels, spinach, green beans, soya beans, cucumber sliced thinly downwards with potato peeler, grated beetroot, mini mozzarella balls, bits of goats cheese, cubes of feta cheese, blue cheese, red onion... Not all together, but if you include some carb, lots of veg and a bit of protein, you can't go far wrong.
  • Slowkoala, I love those ideas!!

I'm crap with wraps. Just can't roll them and they always break.

I make a mess and lose my temper image

• chick pea and lentil stew with tomatoes and any veg iv got.  or spinach and tomato salad with lentils and kidney beans and feta.  mmmmmm.  foooood.....

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

My most common salad is with spinach, eggs, smoked mackarel fillet warmed up, beetroot and peppers. If I haven't anything in the house I might buy Asda's ham and free range egg salad and add some cold chicken tikka pieces in it. Both I find filling enough till end of the day.

• I usually go for pilchards and horseradish or tuna and grainy mustard with my salads. Or roast chicken leftovers are great. Just had some mackerel. I usually keep the salad simple, just leaves, tomatoes and various colour peppers but sometimes add red onion and black olives. If I'm off from work then I do like a nice cheesy omelette - lots of eggs - 4 medium or 3 large. Can't stand a mini omelette!

• I made a lovely indian style lentil soup today... Thought I'd make enough for another day but I ended up eating it all for my tea, it was so lovely.

Now my whole house stinks of curry, my tummy is bloated, I'm full of gas and I'm going to stink of garlic tomorrow for the pleasure of my work colleagues.

And I'll have another salad for lunch.

• No mention of any fruit? You can give a lift to a mixed green salad with a few strawberries, raspberries, or mandarin oranges. I often add half an avocado with the stone removed and the hole filled with shrimps.

• I have thought of that, fruit.

But I often have a fruit salad mid afternoon as a separate snack 

• My salads I make and take regularly into work are a selection from:

Potato salad with parsley, capers, green chillies and chopped egg

Couscous salad with chargrilled Halloumi, fresh herbs and toasted seeds

Lentil salad with roasted red peppers and goat cheese

Greek salad (feta, tomatoes, rolives, red onion, cucumber, olive oil, French bread)

Salad leaves with sundried tomatoes, capers, toasted seeds

Rice noodle salad with marinated tofu, bean sprouts, fresh coriander, sesame seeds, broccoli, other vegetable strips

Home-made coleslaw - cabbage, carrot, apple with lemon juice, shallot, mayo

Peanut salad with shallot, ginger, chilli, lemon juice, lettuce or cucumber, tomatoes

Spicy peanut salad - shallot, tomatoes, chilli powder, lime juice

Waldorf salad

Various combinations involving chick peas

Butter bean and fennel

Moro's warm cauliflower salad

Moroccan carrot salad

All with appropriate dressings.  I quite often put tahini in dressings and add chopped avocado and/or boiled egg to the salads.

Gazpacho is a good thing to take to work in the summer too.

• Have you tried home sprouting grains like alfalfa or mung beans?
  • I was going to suggest some bean and seed sprouts as well

Easy to do at home and a small tea spoon can produce a jar full

My favourite is a mixture of alfafa and broccoli sprouts - and puy lentil you can sproute most beans and seeds  you can buy a big range of sourting stuff on line but all you need for equipment is empty jars with maybe some muslim over the top to make draingn less messy

• Veggie Chilli

Kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, Haricot Beans, Green Peppers, Tomatoes and Tomato Paste, Carrot, Onion and Some Jalapeno's image SPICY!!

Do a big batch and freeze it.
  • image That would make me gassy for a month image