P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• What's my excuse then? Well done that's a fantastic time. How were you placed female wise so you think?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

2nd, I think - only noticed one other woman ahead of me at the start but never got anywhere near her. She was also wearing orange. Hey, maybe that's the secret to faster 5k times!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, just re-read all the numbers on your post properly Fiona - congratulations on your PB! You weren't wearing orange, were you?

• Well done Literatin and Fiona!  Cracking times.  Literatin - I never manage to do as well a time at parkrun as I could on a 5k race, the adrenaline isn't the same.  I think I am normally around 10 secs a mile slower at parkrun than a race.  That's just me though.  Blimey Fiona, that's a lot to knock off a 5k!  Well done! 

Our winner today at parkrun (near in mind it is trail path, not road) was around 15:45.  First females came in sub 20.  

Trail run for me later - be time on feet more than miles - plan has 11 miles so I will do equivalent on trails as it would take me on the roads but won't be 11 miles.

• Happy Birthday Literatin too!!!  Fellow Aries like me.   My birthday is Thursday, will be doing a 16 miler to celebrate. image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Lit Happy Birthdayimageimageimage and great running at your Parkrun and looking good for the marathonimage

Fiona Fantastic PB on your Parkrun imageimageimage all looking good for the marathonimage

I ran from the Station as I finished at 9am this morning and used it as a warm up for the Parkrun, wearing my bright new orange Brooks racing flat taht I will wear for the marathonimage after the start I ran behind two other male runners but after 400 to 500m I thought I could go a little faster and took the lead. This is a place thar I'm not used to but the lead grew and I held it together to cross the line in first place in a new PB of 17:15 which is some 23 seconds faster than my last PB for 5kmimage so I am over the moon it means all the hard work over the winter is starting to pay off.image 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

HeOw cross post nice to see you back running but 16 miles on Thursday would be a bit far at this stage.

• NP - well done on the PB especially after night shift I take it. I think heOw is a week behind us as she's doing Manchester.

Lit - forgot to say Happy Birthday and no I was wearing black and pink

HeOw - I'm an also an Aries it was my birthday last week. I enjoyed intervals!
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona thanks I keep forgetting HeOw is not running London. This week has been my long week so sleep has suffered as I have to live on a Station as I dont live in the area I cover, which was 56hrs stright followed by 24hrsimage looking forward to getting in to my own bed againimage

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice work, Fiona and Lit image

Happy Birthday, LIt image

Tenjiso wrote (see)

Twenty mile runs are the law.  Chick... you broke the law!

oh shit - I'm fcked then.... but NP is even more fcked image. 9x22 - sweet Jaysus!!

1st time this campaign that I ran without hat & gloves image. 7 degrees and I was hot image -- what am I going to do if its 17 on race day???
    9 miles done with 6x100m strides and 5 x 600m reps (did them between 6:10 and 6:30 pace, depending on the wind). Think I successfully shook off those tired post race legs that were bugging me all week.

• Great PBs Fiona and NP, good time Lit and happy birthday.  NP we all knew you would thrash the mileage on the long ones, great running.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all, and happy birthday Lit...hope you are keeping away from the cake and booze this close to race day...?

I did a tempo run today instead of any race. Ran 10mi with 5 at LT pace. 2nd week of taper beckons - that's usually when the fun starts.

• Some great PB's today, well done to all.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Men - I was looking for that garmin set-up post this morning and couldn't find it, so thanks very much for locating it for me! I've just amended my average pace to be "time - average lap" and added a lap count to one of my screens.  I'll try it out on tomorrow's final MLR.

Fiona / NP - well done on the new PB's!!

Lit - great racing

• Great PB's everyone. NP - Thats a cracking time. Sub 17 and you get in the Parkrun hall of fame! And Lit - sub 20 goes for you. You are both sooo close. Brilliant stuff. 

I have another to add the list. Our first ever local Parkrun event was held this morning. Came home in 4th in 17.38. Pretty decent considering its a hilly course, its on the sea front and windy. Oh and I had curry last night! And its a 5k pb by over 20 seconds. So I'll take it! I'm starting to like this P and D plan! Its given me a 5k pb, a 10k pb and a 10 mile pb. Gutted I didnt run a half mara now! 

And on another positive note, it looks like Spring is trying to emerge! 

• P.S On the Garmin thing, do you honestly think you would remember to press the lap key at every mile marker in the midst of marathon fever? I barely remember to look at mine, let alone remember to hit lap every mile. I'm pretty sure by the last few miles I won't be able to remember my name (sod thinking about the Garmin!).

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Remembering to hit the button is not a problem.  However, I have a tendency to miss seeing the mile markers.  The method outlined above can be corrected as soon as you see a mile marker by pressing the lap button more than once if necessary.  I've added the lap counter onto my garmin for this purpose.

Up to now I've used autolap, but it was hard work at Silverstone because it was out at virtually every mile, so I ended up with 22 laps in a 13 mile race image   

Well done in the parkrun Chris.  There seem to be a few new ones cropping up recently.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Chris - In a marathon your garmin is your best friend, slows you down when you are going to fast and helps you along when your tempo starts to drop. I must look at mine over 200 times during a full. Its like a comfort blanket image.

Lap counter on a second screen makes good sense Ten.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Great racing Fiona, NP and Chris. Everyone seems to be in great shape. Any niggle/injury worries out there?

Nearly time to start studying the long term forecasts....
  • LIT Happy Birthday   ..image   

NP FIONA CHRIS  AND LIT nice racing well done all

15....yes me...image

I managed the 7 with strides on Tues and thats it... image I still have that niggle in my ankle it is improving...I think image to keep fitness up I have  done 15 miles climbing on the AMT machine though (ffs ) and a spinning class..and swam a mile oh and did 3 pilates classes and an AB attack class, so hopefully wont have lost much fitness, just my sanity !!!

I had a brilliant 21.5 miler last Saturday and wasn't aware of anything untoward till the Sunday evening when I could hardly put my foot to the floor...its strapped up tightly and has 2 weeks to settle or I will or be not playing !!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nooooo... hope your ankle gets better soon NN - we can't have people dropping out of support group 1!

Well done to the other parkrunners - Chris and NP, both your times would have won the parkrun I did, though we did also have a big hill, twice. Next time I will try to get under 20 mins by going to bed early the night before and not drinking 4 glasses of wine.

15West wrote (see)

Hello all, and happy birthday Lit...hope you are keeping away from the cake and booze this close to race day...?

Oops. image Just back from the pub.

• Lit I will be ace on the AMT machine if nothing else !! what  fab piece of equipment new to our gym... gone berserk with it, to keep intensity up this week, not to worried about missing the 17 tomorrow I have done 2 x 18.5.... 4 x 20s ...1 x 22  and 2 x 21.5 which is 182, and have done all sessions up till last Tues except a couple of recovery runs , if I cant do it...well you think HEow can swear !! you aint heard nothing yet !!!

I will support with  the group at mile 17 if the worse thing happens, I woudnt run unless I was sure of a decent (for me) time..still optimistic at the moment..image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    NN good luck with the recovery. Now is the time to rest those niggles. Lit - had a few beers myself to toast your birthday. Cheers. Intact been drinking a bit too much all week......
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Arg!  Sorry to see you're having problems NN. image  It's good you're coping well with cross training, and I think you have time to be fully recovered in time for the marathon.  Get well soon!

• NN - keep resting and whatnot and hopefully you'll be fine.

Lit - I'm pleased to see that you are home already.

15W - has it been one of those weeks?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Fiona - helps me copes with multiple family members under one roof. Plus, I'm a bit of a pisshead.
  • FOR FUCKS SAKE NN - I hope your ankle sorts itself out.  Gutted for you if it doesn't but you still have TWO weeks so please don't panic and also, fitness won't be lost.  You may feel a bit sluggish first mile or so warming up but it will soon come back. My friend didn't run for 3 weeks due to injury prior to her first marathon and smashed it.  She ran it with final few miles at 10k pace and got a 3:49 which is great for first marathon.  Keep the faith chuck.

15West - put the gin down my friend.  You will end up rolling over the start line otherwise.

Chris and NP - bloody hell, awesome times and well deserved too after all your hard training.  Jesus NP - no sign of you slowing down is there?  Extremely inspiring and how many 22 milers??? NINE?! image 

I have just done my 11 miler but kind of err, just went faster and faster naturally and enjoyed it.  Probably wasn't best thing to do but hey ho, I felt good and assume that sometimes, you can let rip a bit with no damage done on these MLR... Splits are: 8:40; 7:59; 7:53; 7:52; 7:48; 7:46; 7:51; 7:40; 7:29; 7:21; (cool down) 9:58.  That actually, was better paced (other than cool down) than my last Half marathons!  I very nearly kept going to see if I could PB! image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Chris that's a cracking time for 4th at your Park run, but mine gave me a WAVA of 83.29%. image over the moon with that.

((((((NN))))))) you have tons in the bank and the cross training will be fine during taper but don't try to come back running until the pain has gone, it's not worth it at this stage rushing but I think you have been very sensible about it so far.

HeOw sounds like your well on for that PB that's nice running.
  • On Garmin distances my watch has always come in just under race distance. The only exception was last year's MK marathon when they added an extra 0.2 miles because of a course change due to the flooding.

So if I am on target pace according to the garmin I will be ok.
  • 83% is off the chart NP! Awesome stuff.