P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Not bad for an auld fellaimage funny how the WAVA works out its far less for a marathon.
  • NP - I think the WAVA sums it up, it is what I look at for sure re talent.  A runner from our club who is in the 50-54 cat did 18:10 at our parkrun today and he also got a 83:21% WAVA - teeny bit less than you though!

• On the other end of the WAVA scale, a young 12 year old lad posted a time of 17.49 at different Welsh Parkrun today. That comes in at 83.44% and is equally as mind boggling. 12 years old! Unreal.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    That is very impressive NP. Well done.
  • NP - that is one hell of a time for your 5k.

As we get more, ahem, "senior" - although you are still a relative youngster compared to me - I find that the shorter distances are harder to get relatively good times in, but maybe that is just me.

You seem to be flying at both ends of the scale and surely must be heading for nearer 2:50 than 3:00

Last year my London time gave me a Top 10 ranking and a WAVA of 83.14 but I don't think my 5k or 10k would even give me a Top 100!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    One gear if I'm a youngster at 51 can I ask your age sir? 83.14 for a marathon now that is impressive.

Chris that's great to see and I think in the long term park runs will help with uk running in years to come.
  • NP - I am 57 now but I only started running at 49.

Last year I did London in 02:57:xx - a pb and achieved my target of the Top 10 ranking.

However on short distances its another story - I can just about squeeze under 40 mins for a 10k and 19 something for a 5k - see what I mean!

• Brilliant running this weekend everyone, awesome pb's Chris and NP!

It's been an awkward few weeks now, my girlfriends Dad is still really ill in hospital so we've been in there loads. I think there's a chance that I might pull out of the race if the worst happens before London.

I feel selfish for even thinking about the marathon it's just a nightmare after all the hard work that's gone into the training.

At least ill be able to defer my entry if I need to.

I hope everyone's taper is going well, I've just had a look at the plan and I think a few of the runs still look a bit excessive, I don't understand the vo2 max session next week? It seems too close to the race to have any real benefit. The last week looks a bit heavy on miles too!
  • Felt warm on my 17 miler this morning despite it only being 5 degrees.  Begining to get concerned that it may be too hot on marathon day even if it is only about 12 degrees.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Impressive times and even more impressive age grades! 

Sorry to see about the problems Mark.  I hope you make it to the start line.

I reduced my final MLR to 10m instead of the scheduled 12m.  It seemed about right for me this morning.  I'm departing from the pure P&D schedule for the final week, because I think it looks excessive.  I'll probably do four or five miles on Tuesday with a couple of MP miles included, 4m recovery on Thursday, then a couple of miles on Saturday.  I'll probably chuck in a few strides somewhere to keep the legs ticking over.

I tried out my new garmin setup for laps and average lap pace.  I deliberately didn't hit it on every mile to see how easy it is to keep tabs, and found it worked really well.  It's important to have the lap counter for the moments when I might forget whether I've pressed the lap button enough times, or accidentally press too many times.  I'm going to stick with it for the marathon with autolap turned off.

Almost ready now.  Finger's seriously crossed for this final week.  The biggest doubt is whether my son will come down with Chicken Pox image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

That doesn't sound good Mark - hope all goes well for your girlfriend's family.

The speed sessions are just to keep you sharp and to not feel too lethargic - if you have any niggles or are just generally not feeling recovered well enough then I'm sure this can be skipped.

17 mi this morning. Went ok, a nice morning for a run. Loads of runners out there though, which is not surprising I guess....

My daughter has a cold.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Wrexham 10k for me in 37.28 on a less than flat course. Thats almost a 4 min pb dont you knowimage. Off to pub to recover presently and will post a full report on my return.

Hope thinks work out for you Mark.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

NP & Chris -- mindboggling 5k times guys!

One gear: a sub 3 mara aged 57?? Holy shit image! Wow. My WAVAs acrosse the distances are around 75% (looks like I need to get older and faster image)

((((NN))))) - rest up and be ready to rock 'n roll on the 21st image

HeOw: crazeeeee running, girl!

Surrey Runner wrote (see)

Felt warm on my 17 miler this morning despite it only being 5 degrees.  Begining to get concerned that it may be too hot on marathon day even if it is only about 12 degrees.

Same here, Surrey image.

17 miles with 10@MP (sorry, I just had to image). I missed so much MP training due to all the ice and snow that I felt I needed it.  Some of the miles into strong winds and with the sun out felt hard. When I set off we had 1.5 degrees so I wore a long sleeve top, jacket, tights and a hat. Ouch. On the other hand the extra layers probably simulated a hot race day image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

forgot to hug Mark (((()))) - at the end of the day it's only a race. Family has to come first.

Excellent 10k Men image

• Hope all goes well Mark.

Great PB Men, well done

Myself, 21 miles in around 7:14 pace, last 7, 6:40 pace or below. Felt great all run and could of easily sustained it and carried on.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Mark, you're not selfish to be thinking about the marathon; it would be very strange not to after all the thought and work you've put into it over the last months. Hope you won't have to defer, but if you do, then like everyone else is saying, it is only a race and you'll come back and smash it next year.

Congrats on the PB Men!

I did 16 with 4 @ mp today instead of the scheduled 17, because I am a P&D rebel.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

One Gear thats a cracking marathon time whats the target this year?

Mark fingers crossed everything works out for you mate, I can understand how you feel after all the hard work you have put in.

Surry well done on the 17m run 10 to 15 degrees would be spot on.

Ten well done on your 10 mile run glad the set up for the Garmin worked well for youimage

15 West well done on the 17 miles think the sun has something to do with the number of peeps out running.

Men great 10k time and PB all looking good imageimageimage

Chick great running and well done on the 10 at MPimage

Craig thats another cracking 20+ mile run banked image

Lit your a rebel image again thats great miles banked.image

Well today was about feeling easy and getting the run done without any issues, I ran just over 16 miles for the day, Rebelimage which was a warm up then a half marathon followed by a cooldown. Half marathon was done in 1:27:39 with a chip time of 1:27:32 I ran the whole way chatting to another runner I know and it felt very relaxed so I now need to look at what will be my target pace for VLM three plans 1. on the perfect run 2:49:59, 2. 2:55:00 and plan 3. 2:59:00 my intention at this stage is to go for the 2:55:00image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice training session NP

Right then, the important bits first you are all desperate to hear first - For starter I had potted pickled brisket with a red onion marmalade and brioche, followed by black mountain beef traditional roast finished with a cheese board  all washed down with 2 (maybe 3image) pints of draught Peroni.

Hmmmmm Peroni...

Race - plan says 13 at pmp so did 3 miles at MP as warm up in what can only be described as barmy weather, 10 degrees (C) full sun, no slaying wind. Took off two layers and ditched them in the changing room.

Given the recent debacle at wrexham half image I was first at the line with minutes (several -12 to be precise) to spare. A very slight man (Looking for sub 35) and an even slighter lady (Sub 37) line up next to me and I immediately feel out of place.

Bang (well not really, it was an air horn) and we're off. First K usual mass push past and then settle into a nice rhythm, my slight companions already down the road some 100m or so.

End of first K we turn into a head wind and all start to huddle into groups, my group going about 5 secs or so too slow for me so break out on my own and settle into my own pace(5.57m - HR 165). I am sitting between two groups not making headway to the one in front but dropping the back group off slowly and surely and the status quo continues comfortably till the 4th k marker where we encounter out first incline. Pace drops to 6.20mm (HR 170)as the group ahead strings out and I am then amongst them and cruising - picking them off as they start to struggle with the 10m or so gain. Next gaggle of runners are now in sight.  Good news is the next two K are evil in comparison with 15 m and 28m gains respectively and I push through with a 6.29 (HR 173) and a 6.18(HR 177) respectively ( I consciously pushed on the second of the two as I saw my average time was now not under 38.xx -) I pass the slight lady at the top of the incline at the 7k marker, and am now on the tail of my other slight new friend.

Bizarrely he skips through a bollard and starts off in the wrong direction for a couple of seconds before correcting himself but he is now behind me,(note to self;  keep him there.) 400m down the road is a chap in blue but with 2.5k to ge he is too far away.

Blessed relief as it all starts going downhill from here (in the literal sense). Get back down to the 6.02mm mark(Hr 177) for the next two and am now 200m behind said blue chap who has gone all arms and legs. Push on thinking I will swallow him up and get to the stadium finish with 300 to go and I am about 20m behind him, I chase him as hard as I can but he manages a sprint and beats me by 3 secs at the line. Last K in 5.28 ish(182hr).Turns out he finished eigth, making me 9th overall and 2nd for age group. image The girl I passed on mile 7 was first lady in so I wasnt chicked for the first time ever either. First time in the top 10 too  A really good race for me. On a neg note the beef was slightly overcooked, there was too much butter in the potted brisket and the Brie was too cold.image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good report Men. As for the important things: it seems odd to me to have beef both as a starter and a main course, but I suppose it would depend what else was on the menu. Apparently lots of pubs overcook their beef on purpose because they're paranoid about food poisoning and don't want to get sued. Probably a good idea to ask first if you want it medium-rare (like any sensible person). If you did ask and it was still overcooked, then I sympathise.

There is no excuse for not bringing the cheeses to room temperature before serving.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Men nice race report but I don't like cheeseimage
  • Great report Men, the lad who came second runs for our club, Deestriders, he commented on it being a tough course.  Well done.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good report Men.

Talking of cheese, recently in France I ordered a cheese plate for pudding thinking I was pretty sophisticated. Dish arrived and was indeed a plate of cheese, but no crackers or bread, even had a dollop of butter. Crazy French. One of the cheeses, think it was maroilles, smelt and tasted so foul it was unbelievable. Infact I can still taste it today, maybe there's some stuck in my teeth somewhere.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Maroilles: YUM. Very odd not to give you more bread, though (you would not get crackers). Must have been by mistake rather than on purpose.

No Pain wrote (see)
    Men nice race report but I don't like cheeseimage

This distresses me.

• NP - another great run for you.

Your "easy" training half today is not far off my pb. Seriously you have to be aiming for 2:50 on the shape you are in.

This year will be a strange one for me as I have no real target. I have done London for 6 out of the last 7 years and basically, with one exception, I have been faster every year.

But that can't continue, so this year - for the first time - I am running for charity, (Cancer Research UK), in memory of my Dad who first had cancer in his forties and (hopefully) to enjoy it.

Having said that, would hope to get GFA and everything is pointing at about 3:10

Chickadee - thanks for that. Having done my first marathon in 2006 in 3:12, I got so close to sub 3 in 2008 (3:00:xx) that it became a bit of an obsession. So in June 2009 I started training for the sub 3 at London in 2010 - 10 months of training with just one goal. So yes was a tad pleased when I crossed the line in 2010 in 2:58:xx.

Didn't really expect to beat that last year but managed it by a few seconds.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, forgot, I had an actual marathon-related question: how soon after the marathon do people on here tend to need to be able to do all their normal activities comfortably? I have to sign up to my trapeze classes in advance and am not sure whether it would be idiocy to commit myself to doing one on the Thursday after. But I'll be annoyed if I don't book and the class is full.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I have no problem returning to normal activities immediately after a marathon.

Reading books, watching TV, playing computer & console games, eating .... the list goes on.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Lit if you go to Coventry Gardens the next day don't go down the stairs it's painful lol.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah... I was thinking more along the lines of cycling to work, climbing ropes etc. But by Wednesday P&D have got us going for a run...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Well on Wednesday I fly out to Grand Cayman so I will get plenty of swimming done on seven mile beach image
  • Lit - the first marathon I ever did my legs finally felt pretty much normal on Thursday. However I had done no where like as much training as you. For next 2 my legs felt not bad the next day. I would have thought you would be ok but you might find it tougher than normal.