Options

Minimums vs Five Fingers or neither?

Right I'm a big unit that's fairly new to running this time around, back in the day I used to swear by Saucony and their cushioning. I was 18 stone at New Year and thought sod this, bought a new pair of running shows an went on a diet. Oh an also signed myself up to the Rat Race Dirty Weekend as motivation. I'm now 16.5 stone and 6 foot tall and want to shift at least another stone. I'm running in a pair of Adidas which aren't as cushioned as the old shoes but seem to feel better. I've also compared where I strike my foot in the 2 shoes which is different. This has led me to think should I now while I'm a newbie start training with a barefoot shoe either 5 fingers, minimus or something else to promote better form from the start or because I'm a big unit am I consigned to big shoes and bad form? Dex

Comments

• Options
    I run on road and woodland fire road mainly.
  • Options

minimus i would say, or try the trail glove from merrell, their barefoot range has a good selection though, the trailglove has nothing in the way of cushioning, much like a vibram, but they hae some with a little cushioning that still have the zero drop and vibram sole for people starting out on BF running.

• Options
    So you have a 13 mile (at least) race in 5 weeks. And you want to start training barefoot ? the transition is very slow. You've not really enough time to get up to 13 miles anyway - let alone transitioning to barefoot ?

How long are your runs now ?
  • Options
    8-9 miles no bother at steady slow pace.

Barefoot would be initially for short recovery runs to work on technique in between long steady runs in "proper" runners?
  • Options

"I'm running in a pair of Adidas which aren't as cushioned as the old shoes but seem to feel better. I've also compared where I strike my foot in the 2 shoes which is different. This has led me to think should I now while I'm a newbie start training with a barefoot shoe..."

That is a huge assumption to make - feeling better might not be anytihng to do with the level of cushioning (could be fit, size, support, weight, etc, etc).  Some of my tighter socks feel better than the looser ones - I don't follow that wapred logic through to buying socks 2 sizes to small! image

If your Adidas are comfortable, why not stick with them?  Unless you want to try the minimal trend.  In which case, you don't need an excuse - just have a go!  Just not in your next race!

• Options
    If you're not running on tarmac, have a look at the new balance 110's. They're silly cheap and absolutly superb. They have a 4mm drop, so minimalist rather than barefoot