The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Shady-Ady is going to be a daddy! You will never regret it and running will always be there, you just become even more time efficient with running & life in general!

Really wanted to echo what has already been said, your forum has been great and I have enjoyed taking this journey with you (and malcs) and all others on your thread, thanks to all for being so supportive.

I am currently on holiday and travel home tomorrow so may not have chance to post to tomorrow night to say....enjoy the 26.2 miles!

Paulo - also congrat!

PC91- enjoy your weekend!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    PC91 wrote (see)

Hi Malcs

I presume that Shady has left you in charge of his thread. It's strange they'll be here in Paris. I've already been to the Expo and I'll be eating with the Paris 2013 lot on Saturday so I'll only have chance to bump into the famous 5 on Sunday, amongst the 40000 other runners !!!  I'll be in the 4h pen, I think Mel will be in the 4h15 and the others several pens in front.  Even Steve will be hidden in the 250000 crowd.

Are you involved in a thread for your marathon ? Following the 5 and the Paris 2013 has been a great experience for me and it makes me feel part of something special instead of being a runner lost in the crowd.  However the taper madness is extremely contagious and the group effect multiplies the madness to higher levels.

I'll be eaves dropping on your conversation for the next two weeks (?).  I don't want to make you paranoid but, sincerely stay healthy.  I'm sure I'm one of several who is expecting a race report.

As you said to Steve, it will interesting to follow his progression, perhaps there could be a group one ?  I went back through Steve's thread to re read Ruth's carb loading advice and I saw your recommendation, the Milk Tray would kill me. pmsl everytime.

Probably the threads will be buzzing tomorrow as everyone will be relaxing in their rooms.

All the best

Ha image Not sure he would trust me to stand guard. All hell could break loose! Like leaving the kids at home for the weekend and coming back to the house trashed after a two day party.

Of course with all this competition talk you forget that other people are doing Paris too. I really hope you have a great race. Say hello to the Paris thread lot. I have to say I'm quite regretting not entering Paris myself now. There's always next year but I fear it might not be quite the same. 

There's quite a few of us wh went to boot camp still lurking on the 26.2 competition thread. This includes Sarah O, Clive, Jen and DS2. I'm sure we'll all be feeding back on there but starting a new thread going forward might be a better idea.

I am already suffering from taper madness. Another 2 weeks of it will finish me off for sure. I am looking forward to tackling the carbo load again. After mouthing off about it before, when I finally tried it out I failed miserably. I just couldn't eat it all (and that's Ruth's healthy version - the one I prepared for Steve would destroy me).

Really glad you've got involved with the forums. As you've seen everyone is so friendly and helpful. The Paris thread is brilliant but it moves at 100 mph. I struggle to keep up.

Anyway, as I said, have a great race and do let us know how it all goes.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Shady-Ady is going to be a daddy! You will never regret it

Ruth can of course say that with hand on heart as she has clearly put her money where her mouth in going for number 4. Me, I stopped quite happily at 2 - read into that what you will! I actually had 3 but sold one of them on ebay because I couldn't copeimage

Seriously though it is a wonderful adventure. There's nothing like it. Full of great highs and more than a few Kevin and Perry moments as well. 

Ruth, I'll say it again, yourself, Sam, Steve and Sarah have all been amazingly geneous with your advice and your time (it was free wasn't it? I'm not going to get a bill in the post I hope?)

Thanks so much.

Will you be hanging around or are you taking a break until next year?

More importantly (as I may have missed it) when is number 4 due? 

• Malcs............this forum is officially in your capable hands for the next 48hrs! I expect nothing but carnage next time I come back to look, which will probably be after the marathon is finished now.

It's been eventful so far - learning the hard way just how efficient pick-pockets can be to new tourists fresh off the train (luckily not me, but unfortunately a member of our group).

There was a mad sprint to pick up our race numbers before the Expo closed, which tested the muscles more than I expected them to be tested before the race tomorrow. But everything is in order now ready for race day tomorrow.

I'm surprised that the nerves haven't kicked in yet. I'm feeling remarkably relaxed. I'm hoping this is a good thing. I think before,I know I haven't done enough training or long runs, which is why the nerves kick in. This time because I've followed a training plan, there's not a lot more I could have done, which means there are no feelings of guilt or regret for not doing enough.

All that's left now is a sneaky afternoon nap, my third pasta meal in 2 days and an early night. Paris sight-seeing can wait 24 hours!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Ady! I'm racing a half at the same time but will be straight on the net after to track you home. Do you have your race number now and those for Sarah, Alex and Mel?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - good to hear you're installed ok and your head is in a good place. What's this about pick pockets? Sounds pretty awful.

I'm off to invite the world and his wife to your thread while you're out. Paaarrrtyy!image

Sleep well and have a damn fine race tomorrow!

DS2 - best of luck with PW tomorrow. Looks like the weather is going to be perfect.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Yes Malcs - weather changing just in time. Looks like being about 5 degrees - vest weather after what we've had.

Pickpockets doesn't sound good.

Go kill it Ady!!!!
  • Ady....I was thinking the same as you...all this milage surely would make it difficult to conceive...ive taken note and learnt a lesson (before its too late)!

Ive really enjoyed following your progress over the last 16 weeks. Your thread has been very friendly and humorous and I have learnt so much from you. I wish you the best in the marathon tomorrow, you deserve a PB in all possible distances, especially the marathon tomorrow.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Nervously awaiting the results. I have everything crossed here so hurry up because I'm getting crampimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Just heard Alex ran 2:53!!!!! Can't wait for the other scores on the doors.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I let Sarah post hers.....
  • Not sure I can cope with the suspense any longer!
  • I cheated and checked on the Paris app image he did good image
  • To use his words- by the skin of his teeth 3:29:43

• Afternoon all! I'll keep this short and sweet and do a proper right up later. But to cut a long story short, I sneaked in by the skin of my teeth. The wall hIt me like a baseball bat to the face and the last 2 miles were torture. Due to Garmin troubles at the start, when I crossed the finish line I thought I'd missed a sub 3:30 by a few seconds. But luckily I was wrong,I'd snuck in with a few seconds to spare....................3:29:43. I'm over the moon with this.

I'm not going to dwell on whether I could have gone faster, etc, etc. I set out 16 weeks ago to run a sub 3:30 and somehow I've managed to achieve it. I'm delighted.......and when my appetite returns, I'm going to make good use of Ruth's free pass and eat and drink whatever I want!

Paulo.......very happy to finally meet you at the finish. Excellent time and I'm glad you made your target. To the lady at the start that introduced herself, saying she read this thread - I'm sorry I never asked your name, but nerves had gotten the better of me. Lovely to meet you and I hope your back didn't stop you getting the time you were aiming for.

For fear of becoming a soppy mess, and shattering that image of masculinity I will just finish by yet again saying thanks to everybody involved, including everyone who has read andnpostednon this forum, for making my dream come true. You have all made a short, chubby man very happy. I'm off now to eat as many Parisian delicacies as my stomach will allow. I'm also going to enjoy a beer or two, which will probably mean I'll be drunk or asleep in an hour's time.

I'll catch up with people's posts properly tomorrow!
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ady on your Sub 3h30. Very well done.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Amazing mate! I am so pleased for you
  • A huge congratulations Ady, you did it! You certainly deserve those beers and as many Persian delicacies that you can eat. I'm so happy for you. Sorry that you met the wall, but least it was towards the end and it didnt spoil your dreams. Happy celebrating tonight.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

LOL - awesome news delivered in your customery inimitable style image

I am so, so pleased you did it. I know how badly you wanted it and you have got nothing more than you truly deserved. I'm only sorry I wasn't the first to congratulate you but I've been fixing a leaky tap - such is the life of a mere mortal  ;)

Have a fantastic night. You have conquered the Great Wall of China and now you've conquered the great wall at Paris - now go eat your way through a great wall of pastries!image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Malcs! Delivered in your own inimitable style!

Anyone know how Mel did. Must have been truly emotional all round but especially for Mel.

I have enjoyed a couple of very nice glasses of red in your collective honour tonight! Well done all five of you. It's been a joy to be a small part of the journey!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

PC91 - well done yourself too. I know you were hoping for faster but to get round any marathon is always a fantastic achievement. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - I really was fixing a tap, I think I may be more proud of this than any marathon PB! Watch now, I'll be back tomorrow to report how I coped with the flooding in the middle of the nightimage

Not heard anything regading Mel. Maybe if Angela has an app for that she could have a lookie? 

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Great effort Ady. Congratulations.

• i have the app, but I don't know Mel's last name.... if you give me that, I can find out for ya...

• How did your half marathon go today DS2?

• shady-Ady

Sub 3.30- that was your aim! Well doneimage Go drink and be merry!

• Brilliant well done, followed your thread but not posted but really well done
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Angela, don't want to gate crash Ady's party after his achievement so I'll report on the Halstead marathon thread. See you there!

PC91 - well done in hanging in there. Getting across the finish line when it's tough is a huge achievement in itself. Well done!