iPhone App to update social media with pace/distance during marathon

KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I am running my first marathon in London very soon. I plan to have my iphone in a bum bag. Is there an app (preferably free) that will update facebook, twitter and my wordpress blog with my progress automatically (pace and distance covered) every mile or every 10 minutes?

Would my iphone4s battery last the 4-4.5hrs I expect the run to take and still leave enough battery to make a couple of calls at the end of the run?

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Use garmin fit app 69p then pay about ??2 for a months live updates .. Then can add email addresses or Facebook and they can all follow live.

I did 5.5h marathon and it was fine, my oh and friends could watch. But, the one thing you need to remember is once you start it just set back to the home screen so the phone doesn't show live updates as that will run it out.

Just remember if you go wandering off for a loo break people will be having a giggleimage
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    The garmin does live track they can literally follow your dotimage it is great if I'm doing a LSR and a bit nervous about a new course etc... Or just feel uncomfy I enable it with my oh's email set in it by default and hey presto he can follow me.
  • you're having a laugh ain't ya?

• i go out for a run to get away from my  wife for a while

heaven forbid she should follow me in the virtual world.

• My iphone died after 2 1/2 hours using runkeeper 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Like I say don't have live tracking showing on the phone that really drains it, just have the app in the background, but garmin fit did 5.5h with live web updatesimage
  • We need this for DF3's marathon attempt.

• endomondo has a live tracking feature, its a free app. (the live track may be on the pro app though, but no subscription like the garmin one)

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    You can track runners via the timing chip and their website anyway, so why bother with an app as well. If people are interested they can look you up easily
  • K - just go and run the bloody thing - you can update social media when you've finished.  bar your immediate family, nobody will be remotely interested in what you're doing during the event unless you're in the leading packs of runners - and somehow I suspect that you won't be... image

gadgets are fine for some things but there comes a time when they need to be ditched for the "enjoyment" of what you are doing

oh - and good luck!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Some people enjoy social media etc.. and actually find it all adds to their enjoyment, just because you don't enjoy it / think it's a waste of time, it doesn't stop someone else from having a little extra fun. 

As far as i'm aware your allowed to enjoy yourself as well as run image

• should I consider myself to have had a bollocking??image

I enjoy social media a lot (ffs - I've been on this forum for 10+ years!) but I don't see the point of needing to update my fb and twitter feeds during an event.  far too distracting

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'm so sad....

I was just thinking if you are on a training run I wonder if you can be creative and work out how to run and draw large scale images, so if someone follows you they have a pretty* picture come up on their screen.......

* Possibly not pretty, quite probably rude!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Shiva wrote (see)
    You can track runners via the timing chip and their website anyway, so why bother with an app as well. If people are interested they can look you up easily

+1.

I want a full charge to play with after the race so that I can meet up with people, let them know what time the curry's booked for, and send as many messages/updates as I like before I get so drunk that I lose the ability to type/speak.

• I know the Runkeeper guys live broadcast from Boston every year and the battery is supposed to last. Never tried it myself though.

I think though you need to be an elite subscriber to do the live update stuff and that costs a bit.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Main purpose is for my dad and wife so my phone automatically emails them and lets them know I am approaching where they are watching from. Getting Dad to pull a browser up and actually having that browser show him something useful in a blackberry is not going to work. An email will be much easier. He will know what mile marker he is near and if my phone tells him how far along he can be ready.
  • Whilst an electronic method may be good, it does assume you'll both have good Internet access, which on London marathon day you may not have with so many people trying to use phones.

When I did vlm I assumed 15 mins to cross start line, plus 10 mind per mile (target pace) to get to where boyfriend was then said I'd be within 20 mins of that time either side. Boyfriend manages to spot me twice using this method.
  • Good to see that RW is still full of passive/aggressive assholes with uber-opinions...

*goes back to Fetcheveryone*

• "kennymac Yesterday at 22:20

Good to see that RW is still full of passive/aggressive assholes with uber-opinions...

*goes back to Fetcheveryone*!"

LOL - good one !
  • Shame that London hasn't got its act together to offer this,

We ran Paris last weekend and the free app kept our supporters updated with our 5 k times and real time at that point within half a minute of us crossing the timing mat
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I'm following my mate off the 3:45 thread in Brighton and he's just crossed the start line for the third time in an hour.
  • Kaz has just gone from 10 k to halfway in3 minutes !

Paris worked brilliant last week
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

I'm so sad....

I was just thinking if you are on a training run I wonder if you can be creative and work out how to run and draw large scale images, so if someone follows you they have a pretty* picture come up on their screen.......

* Possibly not pretty, quite probably rude!

I've runs on Garmin Connect that trace out names and words of a questionable nature.

🙂

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

HEHE, paste the links so we can see image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

RicF i've been wanting to do that since I noticed that the REading Marathon traces out a scottish terrier with a megaphone in it's mouth image 

I'm not going to run with my phone now by the way. It makes my bum bag bounce about and im not willing to wear it on my arm.