Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Meeting with all of you count as the highlight of my entire European trip. Really friendly, warm, and fun company.

Well done to so many of you who did well today.

Coming out from bouts of injury, i was not able to train intensively for speed, so i set a new goal to complete 2 marathons in close succession. My time today was 4:34 after 4:14 in barcelona 3 weeks ago, so i achieve that goal today. (both were also consecutive PWs by many minutes, but I am happy just the same).

Hope everyone has a safe trip home.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was an amazing day. I watched the Eurosport coverage. Didn't show much of the masses. Bit bizarre seeing random people in the crowd appearing and running alongside the leaders.

Really well done to everyone. Kaz, how fantastic to take home a PB after all you went through. And TJB, wow, you must be ecstatic. 3:15 thread for you next year? image

Dannir, that must be heart breaking having to pull out after coming such a long way. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Look forward to hearing all the debriefs over the coming days. Congratulations to you all!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Packed and ready to head home tomorrow. I've had a fantastic weekend, which really is made from the wonderful people of this thread. I hope everyone travelling tomorrow has a safe trip home, and those staying for few days continue to have a great time.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done everybody- some great performances at every level. Inspirational stuff, even from those who failed their targets. Hope to see yoiu all next year.

• great seeing you all tonight. We went up the Eiffel Tower after we left image

Thank you everybody for all your support, that makes this thread a truly awesome place, and the Paris Marathon so great!

Safe journeys home, those already travelling or leaving tomorrow.

xx
  • Great evening tonight,. Not been on the thread for a while as had head down getting on with things and feeling sorry for myself with niggles but everyone very welcoming and great fun.

Thanks all, safe trips home and hopefully meet again sometime.

Sean(b)
  • What a lovely thread, a lovely bunch of people. I'm home in london now - i have my medal - we've got the medal and thats what counts.

from a personal point of view i ran well today and nailed it - i took it sensibly, my legs are sore but i pushed when i need to and relaxed when i needed to  - got a negative split according to the results, second half was a minuite quicker.

Lovely to meet everyone - i'm sorry i didn't get to meet all of you - we're such a big crew - it's hard to chat to everyone.

Some amazing performances from all - plenty of PBs all round and some special mentions to RR qualfying for Boston/London, Kaz for recovering from Appendicitus and squeezing a pb out of a 7 week training plan, ATM cause she's just plain lovely and i hope we are together again soon.

The race is over but i'm going nowhere - lets keep this channel open and some of the lists going. (Weedy, DV)

I'll be at VLM in two weeks supporting the runners and feeding the pigeons (i mean handing out jelly babies to tired runners)  - EGGY! and whoever else is about doing it (and a couple of my other London based running mates who are doing it) - RS if you want to join me along the river around mile twenty-something - and then after we can take them for a post race pint maybe if the weather is nice.

nite nite- chat tomorrow - photos/tagging on facebook etc

• I've had a fabulous day seeing a marathon from an entirely different perspective. I saw no end of brave & courageous people giving it their all. I don't want to name any individuals just because I'd miss out some people I would not want to. I've shared hugs, kisses, laughs, smiles,.tears, joy & pain today. So many wonderful human brings coming together. Thanks to all. Now time for some sleep image well done runners!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    It was tough at the end. Fortunately, I was wearing my WWKD? bracelet..
  • Alcohol is the work of the devil........
  • ATM: You are a cracker! Unfortunately, I lost both of my bracelets in a tricky maneovre at 28km to remove my arm warmers. Danni....um.....?

I couldn't sleep. Lay in bed grinning like a fool.

Sean, if it's any consolation, I suspect you're not alone. Only one thing for it. Back to Corcoran's with you!

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life - mostly thanks to you all. Safe travels. I'm off to find the biggest, nastiest, butteriest croissant I can.

• Yes, I imagine there are lots of sore heads today! Anyone happen to know which paper has the marathon results? L'equipe or something? Is it today?
  • Great to hang out last nite, hope everyone is feeling alright today!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I got back last night and have to say: I love you all! It's has been one of the best marathons I've ever run.

There are so many people to thank and I don't want to name specifics because you're all perfect and have all made the weekend absolutely fantastic.

Today I'm surprisingly sore but heading out for a recovery run.

Thank you all.

Danirr- I'm sorry to hear about the virus. Hope you're feeling better today?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Also forgot to say: well done to every single runner out there! image
  • Morning everyone - sore heads 'n all image .

Yes, it should be today's l'Equipe that has the results.

Absolutely agree with all that's been said, but a special thank you to the supporters' crew - it really was the thought of seeing you guys at km 41 that kept me going at the end - I've never had that kind of support before.

Croissants all round here too image .
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes in my view the best thread on Runners World.

• That's it sean.

Mausy - can't believe you were taking off arm warmers. Don't fight fashion sister!

Radar Sal forced me for a romantic stroll to see the twinkling Eiffel tower and last drink at 1am. Fortunately spotted her adding the Rohipnol and left the remainder, before gallantly abandoning her 100m from her hotel and zipping back to my hotel before I fell asleep and/or bladder caved in. 2 beers last night and feel awful now.

When i get back tonight I'll post my thoughts but for now, whatever the outcomes, yesterday it was a pleasure and a privilege to witness your efforts yesterday.

I'm not flying until tea time so if anyone is around still at midday ish for a farewell meal - text me
  • I've just had a look at the l'Equipe app, and although they don't have the results there are some cracking photos on there from yesterday. And it's free.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Morning all. My thighs have been replaced with concrete weights. Ouch. Now coffee'd up and getting ready to head to the airport.
  • Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Mausy - can't believe you were taking off arm warmers. Don't fight fashion sister!

The thought of spotting you with a giant flag pole got me all hot and bothered.

• Jimbob - sorry to miss you at the pub last night, congratulations on s super time.

RR - thanks, will look out for it on the streets.

DLR - I need to be out of my place in Montmartre at 10am and was just planning to bounce over to La Defense as I've not been there... Flying at 1500 from CDG - but I didn't have your number! Weedy's on the same plane so could see if he's up for lunch too? Hope the head settles quickly. You see what happens if you hang out with bad influences?!image

No croissants here, using up the end of the porridge (and chocolate!)

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

There's me thinking the thread would have changed post-marathon...!

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Just got the l'eqippe paper. Supplement with all results in. I can hardly move
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Morning all....ooooft my head!! And ooooft my groin, which is nipping away. Woke me at 6 demanding nurofen. I think the decision to have 4 weeks of no running is even more necessary than I thought.

Yesterday was amazing. I'm still processing it all but I did what I set out to do and came in at under 4:15. Not with any style or panache and it hurt like hell but I did it I was feeling fantastic until around km 27 when I started to feel tired. I hadn't seen my entourage at 22k and then they didn't make it to 29k in time to see me. That really threw me off beam which surprised me...I hadn't realised just how important the support is.

So it went a bit wrong for a while after that. I was on course for a 4:10 or under but I slowed down a bit. By 34k I was really struggling, and nearly ground to a halt. Then a random Yorkshire voice (no, not you Yorkshire Random) said "Come on Welsh". He must have seen I had The Look on my face and that was all I needed to get me back up to pace again. I could kiss that man and I hope his race ended as well as mine did.

Tricky's encouragement got me through the last km...boy was I glad to see you guys!

And another nice man in his late 70's had a chat about rugby with me at 30k

Fantastic to see so many of you in Corcorans last night. We're here until Wednesday so if anybody else is around it would be great to see you
  • Thanks, will grab a copy.

I'm on train at 6 but planning on a bit of sightseeing since I missed the Eiffel again yesterday!! What's your plans for lunch though? Might see if I can squeeze it in. Do you want to pm me your mobile?
  • Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

There's me thinking the thread would have changed post-marathon...!

You wouldn't have us any other way.

• I haven't been to La defense in many a year Iain so that would be perfect. Maybe meet over here about 11 ish? That work for you sean?
  • Rob, being kicked out of room, I've messages you my number